City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5) City of Lost Souls discussion

Who is Magnus's father?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 145 (145 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Stephanie The demon that Magnus raised and the weird witchlight stone near the end of the book tell me more about Magnus's background...but I can't think of what exactly. The stone makes me think that his father was a fallen angel...but aren't all demons? Perhaps he's a very famous and particular fallen angel? Say, the very first one? Just a guess...what do you guys think?

Samantha It's definitely someone important. I'm not sure if it's like a reaaalllllyyy powerful demon or a really famous once angel. I'm sure we'll know in Heavenly Fire.

Alexandra Stephanie wrote: "The demon that Magnus raised and the weird witchlight stone near the end of the book tell me more about Magnus's background...but I can't think of what exactly. The stone makes me think that his fa..."

Hey, that could be it...

Meagin well i think hes a very big important demon...i hope we find out in COHF....and i hope Alec stops being so whiny

Natalie Stephanie wrote: "The demon that Magnus raised and the weird witchlight stone near the end of the book tell me more about Magnus's background...but I can't think of what exactly. The stone makes me think that his fa..."

Lucifer, perhaps?

Stephanie Yeah Natalie, that's what I'm thinking. It would make sense as to why Magnus is so well known...Just a thought though. But could a warlock's features, such as Magnus's cat eyes, reflect the demon who was their parent? Anyone know?

♥ Alexia -Team Malec ♥ hmmm, not a clue. BUT I WANT MALEC BACK TOGETHER!!! It's breaking my heart :(

message 8: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee I don't know, but he's probably bad ass lol. And I agree, Magnus & Alec better rekindle!!

Nikkitaronins Lucifer!!!! i hope

message 10: by Caitlin (last edited Jun 23, 2012 09:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Caitlin Could he possibly be Mortmain from the infernal devices Magnus hasn't seen him yet and mortmain isn't his real name he also isn't what he seems (human)

Charmaine Caitlin wrote: "Could he possibly be Mortmain from the infernal devices Magnus hasn't seen him yet and mortmain isn't his real name he also isn't what he seems (human)"
I doubt it

Reepa I know I have no evidence to back this up... but what if tessa's father and Magnus's father are the same person and they're related (just a suggestion)

Olivia At the end of CoLS there was an extra that said Magnus' father was a Prince of Hell, but it didn't specify which Prince of Hell, although, it made it clear that it wasn't Lucifer.

Stephanie Afsana wrote: "I know I have no evidence to back this up... but what if tessa's father and Magnus's father are the same person and they're related (just a suggestion)"

That's a very interesting idea!...but you'd think Magnus would know something then, right? I wonder why Magnus doesn't talk to his father in the first place..

Olivia Stephanie wrote: "Afsana wrote: "I know I have no evidence to back this up... but what if tessa's father and Magnus's father are the same person and they're related (just a suggestion)"

That's a very interesting id..."

Maybe he doesn't talk about his father because he's ashamed of him.

Meagin Olivia wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Afsana wrote: "I know I have no evidence to back this up... but what if tessa's father and Magnus's father are the same person and they're related (just a suggestion)"

That's a v..."

well yea!!!!!!!!youd be ashamed if youre father was a freakin demon!

Charmaine All will be revealed in 2 years time. ><

Cynthia Cebrero Lucifer most likely cause they have being saying that he is feared and powerful i guess

✌☮Cloeyஜ♥ Hi i'd like to join the conversation but I don't know what to say....

Olivia Cynthia wrote: "Lucifer most likely cause they have being saying that he is feared and powerful i guess"

They said in an extra in CoLS that it wasn't Lucifer, but it was a Prince of Hell.

Stephanie Olivia wrote: "Cynthia wrote: "Lucifer most likely cause they have being saying that he is feared and powerful i guess"

They said in an extra in CoLS that it wasn't Lucifer, but it was a Prince of Hell."

Where is the extra? Is there a link of something? I'd love to read it if anybody has the link!

✌☮Cloeyஜ♥ So who's his father???

Reepa ✌☮Cloeyஜ♥ wrote: "So who's his father???"

Lool thats the big question... Cassandra Clare has left us all intrigued to find out who exactly is Magnus's father... and we wont even find out for another 2 whole years so we're all left guessing :(

✌☮Cloeyஜ♥ Oh wow. That sucks! When I saw you guys talking about it I thought you knew and I got really excited
wink;)

Nicole D. Mel wrote: "Apparently these are the seven princes of hell, since a greater demon seemed scared of him im going with satan.

Lucifer - Pride
Mammon - Greed
Asmodeus - Lust
Satan - Wrath
Beelzebub (also called ..."

Where did you get this list?

Books for Badger Stephanie wrote: "The demon that Magnus raised and the weird witchlight stone near the end of the book tell me more about Magnus's background...but I can't think of what exactly. The stone makes me think that his fa..."

That's exactly what I thought in this book. It's gotta be Lucifer

Janie Lucifer would be my first guess, but apparently it's not him so...

Olivia Stephanie wrote: "Olivia wrote: "Cynthia wrote: "Lucifer most likely cause they have being saying that he is feared and powerful i guess"

They said in an extra in CoLS that it wasn't Lucifer, but it was a Prince of..."

It's in the back of CoLS. It's Alec and Camille talking. (there are different extras in different copies of the book)

Stephanie Olivia wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Olivia wrote: "Cynthia wrote: "Lucifer most likely cause they have being saying that he is feared and powerful i guess"

They said in an extra in CoLS that it wasn't Lucifer, but ..."

Okay, haha thanks! :) I have one with an extra in the back but I'm not sure if that's the one.

Olivia Stephanie wrote: "Olivia wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Olivia wrote: "Cynthia wrote: "Lucifer most likely cause they have being saying that he is feared and powerful i guess"

They said in an extra in CoLS that it wasn'..."

Welcome:) My extra is a letter to Jace from his dad. I read the Alec/Camille extra in the back of my friends book:P

Stephanie Olivia wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Olivia wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Olivia wrote: "Cynthia wrote: "Lucifer most likely cause they have being saying that he is feared and powerful i guess"

They said in an extra in ..."

Oh darn, I have the letter extra! :(

message 32: by Nicole D. (last edited Jun 30, 2012 03:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nicole D. about the extras:
Barnes and Noble carried the letter in the usa
Target carried the Alec/Camille story also in the usa
Walmart/Sams Club carried a story about how the real Sebastian's ID was stolen also in the usa

Stephanie Nicole wrote: "about the extras:
Walmart/Sams Club carried a story about how the real Sebastian's ID was stolen..."

There's more? The Sebastian one would be fascinating...I wonder if Cassandra Clare has them online?

Olivia Stephanie wrote: "Nicole wrote: "about the extras:
Walmart/Sams Club carried a story about how the real Sebastian'..."

They should be on cassandraclare.com soon:)

'mazii Ekpette i'll go with mammon or asphodeil as being magnus's father cos of a feeling in my gut

Karolina I'm betting on Lucifer. Azazel's "second only to Lucifer himself", and we know he doesn't want to anger Magnus' father. Plus, he said something about Magnus not being as proud as Faustus, which seems like a clue (Lucifer = pride).
And I don't think Camille confirmed it's not him.
“You aren’t saying…”
Camille pealed with laughter. “That Magnus’s father is the Light-Bringer? The Morning Star? Certainly not!”

Camille's good with words, so there's another way to look at it.. She's not saying that Lucifer's his father, because she'd reveal too much. And that's it. She neither confirms nor denies it's true.

message 37: by Kate (last edited Jul 09, 2012 01:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Olivia wrote: "At the end of CoLS there was an extra that said Magnus' father was a Prince of Hell, but it didn't specify which Prince of Hell, although, it made it clear that it wasn't Lucifer."

apparently there are 7 princes of hell and then lucifer himself. just suggesting possibly helpful information.

Inês Mel wrote: "Apparently these are the seven princes of hell, since a greater demon seemed scared of him im going with satan.

Lucifer - Pride
Mammon - Greed
Asmodeus - Lust
Satan - Wrath
Beelzebub (also called ..."

Yes :) i knew that before i've read this book, once i was looking about castiel reality (if he was from the mitology or only a char from supernatural) and I hope Lucifer is Magnus father

Inês If is not Lucifer i say Mephitopheles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mephisto... but it must be lucifer

message 40: by Noah (new)

Noah Lieberman I just found out and your all going to be shocked but his father goes by the name satan...

Amanda Noah wrote: "I just found out and your all going to be shocked but his father goes by the name satan..."

I remembered Magnus's father was in Hell. I thought he was the Prince of Hell, well one of them or something!

Karina Zourik His father is for sure a Greater Demon or something because in Clockwork Prince, he told the demon Marbas (when he summoned him) that he had to answer his question of his(Magnus)'s father wouldnt be pleased

BookDeliria (Dia) i think Baal? He did mention him. Not that would settle all our doubts but maybe Clare put that as a clue? And Baal is quite strong.

Anyway, I hope Clare would give out his history. But not to put a whole series about him.

Lorie Since Camille tells Alec that Magnus' father is a prince of Hell, but is not Lucifer, I agree with the idea that it might be Baal - the list above shows his sin as gluttony, and out of the 7 deadly sins in question, I reckon that's definitely the one that best fits Magnus. The glitter, the crazy parties, the excessive use of Clary's grapefruit body wash, the costumes - he's extravagant. I reckon it'd be incredibly fitting if Baal were revealed to be Magnus' father.

message 45: by himringvibes (last edited Feb 01, 2013 10:56AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

himringvibes My my, so I am NOT the only one losing mind over this mystery LOL I love Magnus so very much, and I cannot wait to find out who is father truly is.

What we knew:

1) he must be an awesome badass: he's Magnus Bane's father, after all *wink*

2) he must be powerful: I don't know that much about Marbas, but Azazel is ALWAYS described as one of the most powerful demons/fallen angels, and the fact that he doesn't want to anger Magnus' Daddy says a lot!

3) 90% sure he's a Prince of Hell, meaning a very powerful and feared demon, most likely a fallen angel.

The problem with Princes of Hell, you see, is that lists vary (but some names recur). Plus, sometime "Prince of Hell" means one of the fallen angels, but some others it refers only to the most powerful among them.

I doubt it's Lucifer: not really because Camille said he's not (who trusts Camille anyway!), but because it would a bit too much ... I mean, Lucifer is the bloody Lord of Hell! and it would be banal too, Cassie is tricky enough to pick a less acknowledged demon.

And I don't think Magnus is ashamed of him. To Azazel he said he and his father are not at their best, meaning that they probably disagree on something.
Now, Magnus looks like a very tolerant and fairly unlikely Warlock: he helps Nephilim, he's okay with the Alliance with them, he's very peaceful, he's found of mundane things and the human world and society and culture. In my opinion, that's the key: he probably is in bad terms with Daddy because he doesn't want to fight the Nephilim, and spread general destruction around the planet. Bu this view, Magnus' father must be a fallen angel, generally vindictive toward humanity and especially the Shadowhunters (children of angels, got it?).

Another issues is the witch light glowing red: problem is, the witch light is a Nephilim thing, thus a angelical thing. How can a Warlock, a demonic half blood creature, make it function? But if Magnus' dad is a fallen angel, that would explain Magnus being able to use Nephilim stuff. And about that, I shall add: seraph blades anyone? Is there a canon scene portraying Magnus really injured by seraph blades?

Still, the witch light made me think about something else ... what if Magnus' mother was a Shadowhunter? Much like it may be for Tessa's mother? Wouldn't that be interesting? But this is just a random theory (and a wishful one: what if Magnus' mom is ... a Fairchild? a Herondale? or perhaps (holy damn) a Lightwood? (which would also spread new meanings for Magnus' line "all the Lightwood are the same for me"; what if his human parents were Lightwoods and that's why his mother hanged herself and his father tried to kill him? holy shit someone stop me know)) ...

One last thing: it always surprised me how all the warlocks (except for Tessa, but we know she's somehow special) are characterized by very odd signs (like, colored skins, wings, horns) but the only thing marking Magnus is his cat eyes. Why does he hold such a simple Devil mark? In my opinion, this is another proof for the fallen angel theory.

Finally, I dunno know you, but ... what about TESSA'S DAD? I want to know about him too! Wouldn't it be crazy and wonderful if Magnus' dad and Tessa's dad were bros? Cassie is totally capable of making them appear on scene hand in hand, smirking together at their poor children ;D

message 46: by Ash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash Doesn't it say something when Magnus and the rest of them are raising Azazel; "You may not be proud like old Faustus", this kind of made me think that it's this demon whoever he is. I only caught it the third time round so I'm not entirely sure.

message 47: by Art (new)

Art Talanquines Well, for me.. i think it's really Baal..
Magnus once quoted in The Infernal Devices: Clockwork Prince. “Do you swear on Baal that you are telling the truth?”. This was when Magnus and Will Herondale summoned the demon Marbas to tell the truth regarding Will's curse. It's just that, of all the Princes of Hell, why Baal?

cecilia I have but one thing to say (no I don't know who Magnus's father is)... MAGNUS AND ALEC HAVE TO GET BACK TOGETHER

Valencia Cain I dont know who the father is, but i am his mother.
Only messing, some intresting guesses some of you have.
I personally have no idea.

message 50: by Chloe (last edited Apr 11, 2013 06:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chloe GUYS!!! You can read all the extras on www.cassandraclare.com. Just go 'My writing' and 'Excerpts and Extras' at least, I think it's excerpts and extras. I read the Sebastian ID thing, the letter thing, why Will hates ducks, Malec's first kiss and so on!!

« previous 1 3