Ladies who love Laurell discussion

The bright side of Hamilton haters

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily | 4 comments I am shocked by the amount of Hamilton hating going on but on the bright side, most of those haters spent money on her books, so Ms Hamilton can continue to write the books we love. Thank you haters for your continued reading. Keep on hating, and we will keep on enjoying.

message 2: by Tala (last edited Jun 20, 2012 01:31PM) (new)

Tala   (tala2) I don't get the hating. I mean don't like the books if you must (don't get that either), but why make it personal?

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne | 4 comments Jealously maybe Tala !!!!

I read an interview that Hamilton did somewhere and she said in the US readers give out about the sex and in Europe they give out about the violence. SO there is plenty of people worldwide to hate... lol

I can understand the hating of the books, but the sex or violence doesn't bother me. I think it was the gradual rise of the sex that annoys people - the first books didn't have any - and people probably wouldn't have read them if there was going to be that level of sex. If you want to read paranormal romance or sex you read other stuff. It was the morphing from one style to another that annoyed people - well that is my theory anyway.

I think the sex works though - the parts when Anita's 'nympho' life meet 'normal'/'assassin' life makes it interesting. I will keep reading as much as Hamilton writes.

message 4: by Tala (new)

Tala   (tala2) Same here. I really like the series and will keep reading as long as it keeps going.

message 5: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 52 comments moi aussi: will keep on reading laurell.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) I love the series, but as a fan I have to say the writing has gotten worse not better as the series has gone on. There is way too much filler and not enough story and for the love of little green apples can we please please please get all of the dangling plot lines cleaned up! I'm begging for a good editor to actually edit and more actual plot. I love the world and the characters, but it just needs MORE. Does that make sense?

message 7: by Tala (new)

Tala   (tala2) Yes, it makes sense. Well said.

message 8: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline (jacqu) | 12 comments I hope you don't mind I am new so I hope you don't mind me joining in this discussion? There are a couple of things I don't understand about these people, there are loads of books i don't like so I just don't buy them, whether it be the author i don't like or the type of books IE I don't enjoy historic. Also how can you start to criticise a book that hasn't been released yet I noticed that on goodreads with Kiss the Dead people where really laying into the book and it hadn't even been released. Don't they realise what a wally they make themselves sound getting all personal and laying into LKH? NEWSFLASH..... It's a book people ..... FICTION you don't like it don't buy it but Please get over yourselves.

message 9: by Sophie (last edited Jul 18, 2012 08:43AM) (new)

Sophie (sophie_js) | 22 comments I totally agree with everything you've said. It's so pointless and pathetic to be hating so much on a piece of fiction, especially one that they have 1. never read and 2. Written a 'review' when it hasn't even been released yet. Yes, it's not perfect and the editing is really poor in places but is all the bitching really necessary?

I made the mistake of commenting on a similar 'review' to those once, never again lol. They are very urm..'Passionate' people. So this is a good place to rant =].

message 10: by A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (last edited Jul 18, 2012 09:31AM) (new)

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) Reviews and stars for books that haven't been released (and I'm including ARCs that haven't been shipped here) really piss me off. Sorry for the strong language, but it is one of my Top Ten Pet Peeves. If you have not read the book then you have no business posting anything about it. I don't understand that mentality. I am a book reviewer. I post reviews for books I have read. And yes I get ARCs so sometimes I post a review for something that isn't out to the general public yet, but that should be no more (usually) than 2 months (sometimes 3) ahead of the pub date.

Am I critical of the Anita books? Yes! Because the first books (that had actual editors) were so wonderful I got sucked into the world and came to care about most of the characters. It's hard for me to just let go. I keep hoping the next book will be better written, but then, I'm an optimist. I keep saying I won't buy the next one because they've been so poorly written and then the next one comes out and my husband says, 'You know you want it. Just go get it." Since it's his hard-earned money (and his ear that gets my 'ranting') who am I to argue? He knows I'm invested emotionally in the world and I just want it to be written better. That's ALL I'm asking! Is that too damn much to ask?

message 11: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline (jacqu) | 12 comments There is a big difference between someone who has read the book whether it be an ARC or one you have bought or got from the Library and someone who rants about a book that they haven't read. I enjoy the reviews that lead up to a books release it not only gives you a general idea of the storyline, but builds the anticipation of waiting for a new book to be delivered. No it is not to much to ask for quality writing and everyone has there own opinion, how boring would life be if we all thought the same and read all the same books? There are some books in the Anita series that I didn't enjoy as much as others but then I read what others say and some agree with me and others loved them [personnel taste.] One thing I do try to do is stay away from the hints and tasters that lead up to any books release, I am still convinced that the reason I didn't enjoy Hit List as must as I thought I would the first time round is that there was so much on Facebook and Twitter leading up to the release of the book that really no book could have lived up to the expectation that I had because of that build up. In the future though maybe you will be more happy with how things go as I am sure that I have read somewhere that LKH now has a continuation editor we shall have to wait till next year and see what you think then

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) I don't read teasers or anything else about a book before I get the book.

I read she had a continuity editor for this last book. She's acknowledged in the front. If that's so and she actually worked on this last book (KtD) and isn't just now coming on board then she's not doing her job.

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (myasmom) | 8 comments I love Anita. I actually started enjoying the books more the further I got into the series. I love her complex relationships and the sex. Keep it coming LKH I love it all!

I do know a few people who have stopped reading the series and told me I should quit while I was ahead and I am so glad I didn’t listen. To each their own.

message 14: by Tala (new)

Tala   (tala2) Rebecca wrote: "I love Anita. I actually started enjoying the books more the further I got into the series. I love her complex relationships and the sex. Keep it coming LKH I love it all!

I do know a few people w..."

Agree!!

message 15: by Kristy (new)

Kristy Johnson | 2 comments me too

message 16: by Cindyg (new)

Cindyg (brotherlover) | 88 comments Rebecca wrote: "I love Anita. I actually started enjoying the books more the further I got into the series. I love her complex relationships and the sex. Keep it coming LKH I love it all!

I do know a few people w..."

I second that!!!

message 17: by Ravin (new)

Ravin Maurice | 6 comments Hi everyone! I'd started a separate topic but deleted it after I found this thread, I hope you don't mind if I join in!

I, like all of you, am I die hard Laurell fan, especially Anita Blake. I just finished Hit List, and when I went to post my review on Goodreads I made the mistake of reading some of the others and...my God....why are those allowed to stay up? There was one in particular where I was feeling like it was bordering on bashing of some kind and was down right offensive, why is it allowed to stay?

Does anyone else feel compelled to say something to these people? Because I sure do. I'm wondering if they just buy the books to bash her. I don't get it. Why spend money on a book you aren't going to enjoy...if one bothered you in the series, the move on. I agree with what someone said previously, about if people keep buying the series will keep going, but it just boggles my mind.
I absolutely love Laurell, and the stuff hasn't bothered me. Some books I like more than others, but I think its like that for most long running series. I will stick with it because I love Anita, and I am happy to find other people that feel the same.

Does anyone else say anything to these people?

message 18: by Cindyg (new)

Cindyg (brotherlover) | 88 comments Ravin wrote: "Hi everyone! I'd started a separate topic but deleted it after I found this thread, I hope you don't mind if I join in!

I, like all of you, am I die hard Laurell fan, especially Anita Blake. I jus..."

Totally agree...

message 19: by Tala (last edited May 14, 2013 07:36AM) (new)

Tala   (tala2) @Ravin I agree with you. I don't understand buying or reading something you obviously hate. I would never say anything to them, unless I was just looking for a conflict. They hate it and feel they are doing nothing wrong in some of the cruel things they say. I also have no issue with true neg reviews.

etc: my bad typing.

message 20: by Erika (new)

Erika Peluso (erikapeluso) | 12 comments Haters are haters. I understand that some people don't like this series, but there is no reason for them to expend so much energy making sure that everyone else knows how much they care. I love the series. Each book is not perfect and often leaves me feeling I want more substance. I do, however, understand that the way the story has gone was truly a natural progression for this universe and these characters.
Of course there was no sex in the first books and tons in the later books. Anita was young, inexperienced and pretty much a cold fish. I bet having an unloving step-mother had a strong impact on that. Jean Claude's power is based on sex. There you go.
I love the mystery element to the books and do like when there is more zombie action. The conversations during the sex, while are important for relationship development often piss me off. When I started this series some years ago I fell in love with the characters. For me that means taking the good with the bad. Meaning, enjoying the things I really like and putting up with a few minor things that irritate me.
Overall I think Laurell is a fantastic writer with a brilliant imagination. I do think she could benefit from a different editor. The flow to some of the plots seem to need adjusting.
Long story short - She's got me as a life long fan.

message 21: by Cindyg (new)

Cindyg (brotherlover) | 88 comments Life long fan here too...

message 22: by Tala (new)

Tala   (tala2) @Erika well said +1000

message 23: by Ravin (new)

Ravin Maurice | 6 comments I will also be a lifelong fan.
My concern was the content of a specific review on the Hit List page that is kind of offensive. Why does it get to stay there? Does no one monitor these things?

message 24: by Tala (new)

Tala   (tala2) I haven't read the review, so I don't know. If you feel it's against TOS you can flag it and then it's up to GR to decide. That's the only thing I can think of to do, unless you want a 2nd opinion, pm me a link.

message 25: by Erika (new)

Erika Peluso (erikapeluso) | 12 comments @Ravin which review are you speaking about. When I just went to Hit Lists page it said there were 3000 reviews. I may have misread, but if you can help track down the review with date and time or user name that would be helpful.
Thanks!

message 26: by Erika (new)

Erika Peluso (erikapeluso) | 12 comments Also, I can flag things here in this thread, but the only thing I can do to reviews is "like" them. Is there some way to tag them as either in poor taste or offensive?

message 27: by Tala (new)

Tala   (tala2) Sounds like a young guy with girl issues. He gave it a 4*, that doesn't really go with his review.

@Erika, click "see review" at bottom of the review on the book page and once it takes you to that review look at the bottom of review (again). Where you see the like button and # of likes you'll see (barely visible)"flag".
That's how you flag a review.

message 28: by Ravin (new)

Ravin Maurice | 6 comments its the review with the photo of the character Fat Bastard from the Austin Powers movies and is written in all caps, starting with ANITA IS A

message 29: by Lasher (new)

Lasher | 11 comments There are many reasons people write reviews for books they haven't read. There are people who will write these reviews because they want the attention and reaction they can get. There are religious groups who once they find a book to pick at will tell others in their circle so they can follow suit because they feel it is their job to police the world. They can be like rabid dogs about it, and it happens more than you think. There are some who will write them because they feel the author is in competition with their favorite authors (I don't mean to say their 'favorite' authors would condone it, just that there are some people that think this way). And, there are just people who have nothing better to do with their time.

I'm a big fan of the Anita Blake books. Laurell has a hell of an imagination and she has created a complex world where many of the characters appear book after book instead of having all the characters change in every book of the series. Not many authors do that and do it successfully.

Are there times when I feel a particular scene or explanation goes on a little long? Sure, but she is human and I don't expect perfection. You can't please everybody all of the time.

Do I think some of the sex goes on a bit too long in places, sure, but I also have to look at that in the context of the story. The character is frustrated with her life becoming all about sex, and what better way to make that point with the reader? You can say it makes the character frustrated or you can show why the character feels that way and make them feel it, too.

Unfortunately, its the internet and you have to take other people's opinions with a grain of salt and in the end decide for yourself.

message 30: by Erika (new)

Erika Peluso (erikapeluso) | 12 comments Too true @Lasher. It's funny how these days you have to know how to take information. It used to be "don't do your report based of Wikipedia." Now it's fact check the article you read on any site ever. In addition, you never know someone's motivation for posting.
@Ravin and @Tala thanks for the info. And, yeah. That poster is crude.

message 31: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (myasmom) | 8 comments I don't think he even read the book. He is just an ass!

message 32: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 55 comments Lasher wrote: "There are many reasons people write reviews for books they haven't read. There are people who will write these reviews because they want the attention and reaction they can get. There are religio..."

There are times when I want to scream if I read one more time about Nathan's hair (color, length, texture, etc, etc.) or Cyn's or Jean Claude's. It's over described. Even with that, I like these characters and can't wait for the next book.

message 33: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 55 comments Erika wrote: "@Ravin which review are you speaking about. When I just went to Hit Lists page it said there were 3000 reviews. I may have misread, but if you can help track down the review with date and time or u..."

I read the ranting. It's all capitals, and has videos intermixed with the writing, and the videos have nothing to do the book. It sounds like the person didn't read the book or books. There are things mentioned that I never remember reading in the series (ex. - Anita had 1 sexual experience with a woman, yet this person talks as if she has sex with woman all the time.) (ex.- I don't remember her having sex with any animal, shifters yes, but I thought they were in human form each time). The person claims to have read all 20 books, yet it sounds like they just realized that there is a lot of sex in the series.

message 34: by Lasher (new)

Lasher | 11 comments Missyb wrote: "Lasher wrote: "There are many reasons people write reviews for books they haven't read. There are people who will write these reviews because they want the attention and reaction they can get. Th..."

There are times when I feel the same way, but then I remember that even though the books make up a long running series, the books still have to be able to stand alone. I found one of the books at the library and picked it up, but it was in the middle of the series. Because I liked it so much, I went back and read the series from the beginning. If that book hadn't given me at least some repetitive information from previous books so I could follow it easily, my chances of going back to the beginning would have been slim to none.

message 35: by Heather (new)

Heather (heaterlicious) | 2 comments I love all her books. I will admit there have been a few that were not as good as the earlier ones but I love them anyway I think she's fabulous!!! I love the Meredith gentry series and her short stories!!! and I totally hate it when people leave reviews for stuff they haven't read it's ridiculous!!

message 36: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (Shandrith) | 2 comments I love Laurell, but I can totally see why some people would be irritated with the direction the Anita series has taken. Unlike Merry, which has *always* had lots of sex, Anita started pretty strictly as horror/mystery/action.

While I don't object to the graphic nature of the writing, there have been times that it felt like the main plot of the book was being ignored in favor of the sex. That having been said, I do think that that hasn't been such a problem in the last 2 or 3 books, and I can't wait to read Affliction.

message 37: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 55 comments Lasher wrote: "Missyb wrote: "Lasher wrote: "There are many reasons people write reviews for books they haven't read. There are people who will write these reviews because they want the attention and reaction th..."

It's not the over description of Nathaniel's hair in the series, it's the over description of his hair in the same book that annoys me. Don't get me wrong, I like Nathaniel and the series & will continue reading it, but the hair descriptions throughout a book get annoying.

message 38: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 55 comments Heather wrote: "I love all her books. I will admit there have been a few that were not as good as the earlier ones but I love them anyway I think she's fabulous!!! I love the Meredith gentry series and her short s..."

the earlier books were police cases or animator cases, and the last few books have been US Marshall cases. Those books have been my favorite, and have been more about story and less about the sex.