flight paths discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2218 comments sodden days mean no reading on the grass.
what is your reading pleasure as summer stutters in?

message 2: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2218 comments I am reading two books at the moment that I have hoarding for a whileThe Soul's Religion: Cultivating a Profoundly Spiritual Way of Life andSong of the BeastHopefully we will get some sun this weekend so I can take the latter to the park.
The there is the rather lumpy autobio of John Updike which I selected because I really liked his intro toThe Sanatorium under the Sign of the Hourglass even though I am not a fanJohn UpdikeSelf-consciousness

message 3: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 734 comments The clock is ticking, MANTEL Hilary to be endured, Rankin Ian for the bedside read and some book orders to be placed for September hols.

I may sound more organised than I appear, the art of survival perhaps.

message 4: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2218 comments September!
Carpe diem ma cherie!!
Summer reading must have a hint of relaxing if not exactly standards, than at least of anxiety.
It sure doesnt sound as if you are enjoying HM.
Maybe switch your BR with your WA book. You will get a bit more sleep.

I have finished Song of the Beast and Need to post review.Stumbling on the Updike,but I have stuck with it so far might as well finish it.

message 5: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 734 comments It is that eating out complex:
'well I paid for it (in a multi pack with Wolf Hall) so I should eat/read it even if I don't much care for it'

message 6: by David (new)

David | 17 comments I am going to finish The Complete Ronald Firbank before the start of July! It's been a blast, but looking forward to not having to carry it around with me...

message 7: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (last edited Jun 21, 2012 09:03AM) (new)

Magdelanye | 2218 comments Ice wrote: "It is that eating out complex:
'well I paid for it (in a multi pack with Wolf Hall) so I should eat/read it even if I don't much care for it'"

not for me...I have completely separated money from value. I will walk out of a movie,throw down a book or send back a meal if I think it's bad for me, ie if it has an immediate negative affect. But I will stick with something unpleasant if I think it is necessary, ie will ultimately be good for something.

In the case of the Updike bio I am slogging through now,I feel a need to know how it turns out for him, even though I have found that I don't care for him all that much.

as for Ronald Firbank, wasnt he an old timey actor?

message 8: by David (new)

David | 17 comments Douglas Fairbanks?

message 9: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2218 comments ah,David,you are probably right,I must have been free associating :-)

Finished Song of the Beast and well into The Shadow Boxer which I am enjoying immensely.

message 10: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 734 comments About to start The Redbreast from Jo Nesbø.

Down to 3 concurrent books at last, I can hear the call of the library or perhaps its time to order those holiday reading tomes.

message 11: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2218 comments Ice,does this mean you have read through your humungous tbr pile? Think you would like song of the beast.

message 12: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 734 comments I am down to about a dozen resident unread books, about 10% of the tbr. The tbr splits between library and purchase, about 60/40. My age means I dont remember the 200 books in the loft waiting to be re-read in retirement, Taliesin for instance .....

message 13: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2218 comments as long as you have something to look forward to...
let us know what the library yields.

I am caught up inThe Shadow Boxer

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.