The Next Best Book Club discussion

Other Novels To Discuss > Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation Series

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Anybody else love these as much as me? I think the author has a really neat story-law degree from Harvard but she decided to quit all that so she could write.

Her Pink Carnation series is really fun, but it isn't so mindless that you feel like you're reading fluff.

The 5th in the series comes out Jan. 22nd, and I'm excited to get it!

message 2: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 79 comments I really wanted to like the book. I was excited to read them ALL until I read the first one. I think it's mainly because its a full-blown romance novel and I wasnt expecting that. However, it was well written and had several funny parts. How can you NOT love the main character?!?! She was a hoot!!! I also thought Willig wrote well. So, all in all, it was a good book... just not my cup of tea.

message 3: by Allison (The Allure of Books) (last edited Jan 09, 2009 12:11PM) (new)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Yeah, the romance factor surprised me a little sine it didn't seem to 100% fit the time period, but I kept going and each one gets a little more conservative after the 1st...the 4th has no "full blown" romantic scenes at all, and I really enjoyed that.

I agree that the characters are funny-the sarcasm and irony is exactly my sense of humor, so she has me laughing out loud with both the past and present characters.

message 4: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 79 comments I am glad you said that! Maybe I will revisit the series. I really liked the whole storyline but wasnt looking for a romance novel. I think I will try the second one and see how it goes. Thanks for the info!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Cool, let me know what you think! The 2nd is probably my favorite, because I love Henrietta, the main character-so hopefully the romance won't put you off too much :-)

message 6: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 79 comments I just noticed we are having two different conversations! :) Let me know about The Host too!

message 7: by Allison (The Allure of Books) (last edited Jan 09, 2009 11:41AM) (new)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) haha, I didn't even notice. I will :-)

...and I notice you're reading Sookie Stackhouse-I literally devoured those last week. Nice!

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Oh I love this series too! I only got 3 books in though because I got caught up with other books. I think even though they have romance they're not "dumbed down" or harlequin like. The characters are funny and witty, plus the plot offer a bit of mystery. I also like the double romance story. I didn't know that the author quit Harvard. Last I had read she was still going. Talk about pursuing your passion! Not sure if I could do that.

message 9: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 79 comments I was reading through them so quickly, I made myself stop and read some others in between! I didnt want it to end too fast. But now I am back and reading the 3rd one. I am already planning a stop at the bookstore to p/u the 4th. Fun reads!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Yes they are (Sookie Stackhouse I mean)! I'm excited for the 9th to come out in May :-)

and Jackie, I agree! They aren't "dumbed down" smut at all, just might be a bit too much graphic romance for some. I think she graduated from Harvard, but quit her job as a lawyer to pursue writing.

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I guess I've read worse because I didn't think they were that graphic. Although I have to agree with you there were less sex scenes in the other two books I read. I think she made it quite tasteful without sacrificing any of the romance.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Yes, I've read worse also :-) It didn't bother me too much, I can just easily see how it would bother those expecting a mystery and finding a romance/mystery.

I agree that the taste did not sacrifice from the romance at all-if anything it was more fitting to the period when most young ladies were quite proper.

message 13: by Jackie (last edited Jan 09, 2009 12:29PM) (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Yes, most ladies did not walk around with their petticoats over their heads, despite what Harlequin says. =P

I did like how in the first book Willig added the real aspect of the relationship. I can't remember the characters' names at the moment since it's been awhile. I do remember that although they had a happy marriage they still argued and she noted one infamous argument where the heroine threw something at the husband. So it wasn't just a happily ever after ending which is so common in romance novels.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) yeah, and the way the characters in #3 had to get married because she was disgraced, and they fell in love later-that was an interesting twist.

My favorite is the second, the whole falling in love with your best friend thing gets me every time.

I also really love Eloise and Colin's story-I'm excited to see that develop.

JG (Introverted Reader) These books are one of my sort-of-guilty pleasures. I've only read through the third one, mostly because my local library doesn't have the fourth and I haven't requested it in yet.

I was a little surprised by the sex scenes in the first one, but they didn't bother me. There aren't so many in the others, from what I recall.

I'm not sure which is my favorite. Probably the second or the third.

I like Eloise and Colin's story, but it feels like it's creeping along in comparison with the history stories! I'm ready for some more stuff to happen!

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura | 56 comments I've read the first 3 books and enjoyed them. I love the humor in the stories and how strong the female characters are.

JG (Introverted Reader) I went by Books-A-Million to spend a gift card and, of course, I had to check out their clearance books, and I bought The Seduction of the Crimson Rose. What a coincidence!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) nice!

Yes, it seems like in the 5th book (you can read the first couple chapters at www.laurenwillig.com) Colin and Eloise's relationship will be moving forward quite a bit...I'm nervous to discover Colin's flaws...you know there is bound to be a big one.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Anybody read the 5th book, Temptation of Night Jasmine, yet? I read it and thought it was very good! I'm still not satisfied with the development of Colin and Eloise, but I really enjoyed the historical story.

message 20: by Rach (new)

Rach (rachlovestv) | 104 comments I love this series! The mix between past and present is great, and both storylines are engaging.

I will agree that the Colin/Eloise story has been developed really slowly, but in a way, I think that is her way of making sure we come back for the next book. ;) And Book 5 really did take much larger steps forward in regards to their relationship.

I love how the historical stories relate to each other - that you see characters from different stories pop in and out of each other's lives. It's kind of like running into an old friend at the grocery store. You want to stop and say, "oh, tell us more about what they're doing now!" :)

All in all, I once again can't wait until the next book comes out!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Yeah...Book 6 is going to be called Betrayal of the Blood Lily...the first chapter is available on her website!

www.laurenwillig.com

message 22: by Rach (new)

Rach (rachlovestv) | 104 comments Allison wrote: "Yeah...Book 6 is going to be called Betrayal of the Blood Lily...the first chapter is available on her website!

www.laurenwillig.com"

Yay, thanks for the link! :)

message 23: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 163 comments I started with the 2nd book and loved it. I'm glad I started with it and not the first. I've read the first four, now, and am waiting to get the 5th from the library.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) there is a cover for Book 6 now!

The Betrayal of the Blood Lily (Pink Carnation #6) by Lauren Willig

message 25: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments I definately cannot wait to get my hands on these. To be honest, I think sex scenes can be fun, especially when it's all quivering members,which is always good for a laugh!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) yeah...I think there is less and less as the books go on, she keeps getting more and more conservative. The first is just...above and beyond more sexual then the others, and quite funny :P

(I know I'm repeating myself, but I don't care.)

message 27: by Allison (The Allure of Books) (last edited May 28, 2009 07:11AM) (new)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) if you like this type of thing with more hanky panky, try The Wallflower Quartet.

Secrets of a Summer Night (Wallflowers, #1) by Lisa Kleypas It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2) by Lisa Kleypas Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3) by Lisa Kleypas Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4) by Lisa Kleypas

message 28: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroldias) I have the first one since March... I didn´t know it was sexual! lol I need to read it!

I´´m expecting a romance novel, so I think I won´t have the chock you had Allison. Actually the spy thing was the news for me