Shoujo Manga Book Club discussion

General Discussion > Announcements

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This is where all announcements will be made.

I guess this is a little more short notice, but I will be out of town this weekend with no access to a computer, so I won't be on this weekend. Please feel free to continue discussing, I should be back sometime on Sunday. I'm leaving on Friday.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I have decided to take the fanfiction writing contest down, since nobody partcipated this month. If you have any suggestions about how to make the writing contest better, please post them in the Suggestions topic.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a very special announcement to make. We are super close to 50 members, so once we reach 50, I will host a movie night! It will probably last an entire week instead of one night so everyone has a chance to participate. I will post a thread to suggest anime movies to watch, then will create a poll once we reach 50 members. So, invite all your shoujo manga loving friends so we can hit 50 members and have a movie night!

message 4: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments That sounds nice, I haven't seen many anime movies only the ones related to the anime I have seen like Bleach

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm so sorry I disappeared for so long. I'm taking a summer class and I got so caught up in it. On the bright side, I have almost 100% in my class, so not all is lost. Even though school is my priority, I have a responsibility to this group, being the only mod. Which brings me to my next point: If one class has kept me busy, the four classes I'm taking this fall are going to be way worse. So, I am going to post an application for a co-mod so I can have somebody to help me out. Feel free to apply, but ultimately the decision is mine. It will be based on things like activity, availablity, how well you know the rules of the group, interest in the group, and whether or not you can do the jobs of which I ask. Keep an eye out for the application before the end of the month! If you are interested in applying, send me a message once I post the application with the application filled out.

message 6: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Yeah I think I disappered for a while too! But I think being a mod could be cool

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments I would love to be a mod for this group, but sadly my plate is full with school and being the mod for three other groups already:(

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Just as a warning: The group could be undergoing a major redesign here soon (as soon as the mods find the time). I'm sorry if things are cluttered for a while. We'll try to have it done as quickly as possible. We're trying to make the group as awesome as possible for all our members!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I must apologize. My laptop is in bad condition and getting worse, so I haven't been very active. I feel like I'm abandoning the group since I am hardly ever online. I can use my Kindle, but the process will be slow. I will do my best to keep everything running on time, but please forgive me for running just a little behind. I will try to get the remaining discussions up as soon as possible.

message 10: by James (new)

James Williamson | 2 comments No problem. We've all been there. I was recently running quite a large role playing group on IMVU, but because of work and my desire to write the few novels that were stuck in my head, I had to step away.
Just take your time, get the laptop fixed and see you when you can. Reading through your group, you have a good bunch of people here and I'm sure they will all understand too.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Just to let everyone know, since the Buddy Reads have no activity, I'm going to take them out. It seems nobody has time for MR's, SW's, Challenges, and Buddy Reads. I figured the Buddy Reads were the best thing to get rid of.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I have decided to redefine the policy on sexual content and violence in what we read. I've been noticing that almost everything we've read has some sort of sexual content/nudity or violence in, and that it can't really be avoided. So now, I'm going to be providing a description of each series we read, and in that description will also be a rating. T+ is the highest rating we'll go, so keep that in mind when suggesting manga every month.

So, graphic discussion of sexual content and excessive violence is still not allowed. For example, Nana deals with quite a few sexual themes, so it would be okay to being up the sexual relationships between the characters, but you're not allowed to go into graphic detail. Instead, you could discuss how you think it effects each of the characters or something of that nature.

One other announcement: We're going to be implementing a new feature called "Artist of the Week". Basically, each week we'll be featuring different Japanese musicians of any genre and cycling through their songs for the whole week. I will create a master list, starting with a few of my favorite artists and songs, that everyone is welcome to add on to. Everyday two new videos will be posted at the top of the page, one being a music video, another being an interview or documentary video on the artist. However, if a video is deemed too inappropriate, it will not be shown. I will get the topic up for Artist of the Week after I finish writing my essay.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

What does everyone think of the new Masthead photo? My boyfriend helped me make it. I'm pretty pleased with it. :)

message 14: by Cindy III (new)

Cindy III | 192 comments It looks so cool. I like it.

message 15: by Nekokit (new)

Nekokit | 747 comments Awesome!!!!!!!!

I really like it! ☺

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry about constantly changing the MR's on you guys, but I think I finally have it down. Instead of having two separate topics for each series, I'm going to merge the "Thoughts/Impressions" topic with the "Discussion Questions" topic for each series. The way it will work is that discussion questions will be integrated into general discussion of each series. Everyone is welcome to add any questions they come up with, as long as they are appropriate and don't violate the rules.

I'm hoping this encourages more discussion of the MR's and keeps the homepage from getting to cluttered up.

message 17: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I've just edited the bookshelves. We will now only have the first volume of each series that we read there. Hopefully, this will make it easier to browse the shelves.

message 18: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I made some changes regarding the Past MR/SW folder. If you look carefully, you'll notice that-hey!-it's no longer there. We decided to move all of the MR discussions into the MR folder and all of the Seasonal Watch discussions into the Seasonal Watch folder. We hope that this makes it easier for you to find discussions. We also hope that this encourages you guys to keep up discussions: even ones that are super old.

Happy commenting, folks!

message 19: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I made a new Resources folder. This is where you will be able to find and provide useful information for the avid manga or anime fan. This is where the Cleaning Up Manga and What's the Name of that Manga threads now reside, along with all of the listopia topics.

message 20: by Selena (new)

Selena (sailorstar165) | 2025 comments Mod
As I'm sure you noticed (or maybe didn't, in which case, please ignore this message :P ) the monthly reads were a bit late this month, as was the tie breaker poll.

Due to offline commitments (mostly work), I lost track of time and didn't realize it was July until someone today said, "Have a happy 4th of July!" to me at work.

I am very sorry about this and will do my best to prevent this from happening again. I've even set an alarm to go off on my phone for next month so I won't miss it!

message 21: by Selena (new)

Not sure how many of you noticed, but we now have a new sister group joining Shounen Manga Book Club, Josei and Seinen Readers(18+ only), and us: The The Japanese Novel and Light Novel Book Club!

message 22: by Selena (new)

A general reminder to group members about Monthly Read Suggestions:

As we are a shoujo group, we read shoujo manga. Please suggest shoujo manga for monthly reads. It's easy to mix up demographics, so I suggest checking the wikipedia entry for that information. Also, as we are a group for all ages, please don't suggest any shoujo that are sexually explicit or contain graphic violence.

There is also a theme for each monthly read. Please suggest manga that match the theme. For example, don't suggest Pokemon Magical Journeys if the theme is "School Life" (as this series has nothing to do with school).

Last but not least, check our bookshelf for manga we have read in the past so as not to suggest something we've already read. We may do a theme in the future where we reread past monthly reads, but unless otherwise specified, please don't suggest manga we've already read.

These are easy things to forget, thus the reminder. Please keep these in mind. I'll do my best to double-check, but we're all human so there may be things I miss too. If you spot I've made a mistake, please let me know.

Much appreciated,
Selena

message 23: by Selena (new)

Hey everyone!

Some of you may have noticed that I've listed three series for our next monthly read rather than the usual two. The reason is that The One I Love is only one volume and the other two tied for second, so I figured we'd do all three.

message 24: by Selena (new)

So we have a tie breaker poll! Please help break the tie! ^_^

message 25: by Selena (new)

I want to clear up some confusion people may have regarding the Group Read suggestions. Keep in mind that I'm only human, so I occasionally may slip up, but the following is my general rule of thumb for the group read stuff:

* Within the first few days of every other month, I get the group read suggestion thread up with the theme.

* You'll have through the last full week of the month to suggest manga for the group read that are both shoujo and fit the theme.

* I'll do my best to get the poll up the last Sunday of the month. That poll will run two weeks, even if I'm late putting it up. :)

* The two manga with the most votes will be our group read. There will be another poll that runs a week in case of ties.

Hopefully this clears up any confusion people my have, especially for the newer members. :)

message 26: by Selena (new)

Hey Guys!

Sorry for the delay, but we have a tie-breaker vote for our second group read! It will run through Saturday, the 25th, so get your votes in.

message 27: by Selena (new)

It's the last day for our next group read poll! Get your votes in if you haven't already. :)

message 28: by Selena (new)

Tomorrow is the last day to get your votes for next month's group read in! Make sure you get your votes in there

message 29: by Selena (new)

A brief explanation of the new poll and the options:

Group Read with Themes: This is the way we currently do things. Every other month, I make a thread asking for suggestions based on a theme, then we vote on all of the suggestions to pick what we will read.

FIFO Suggestions: The earliest suggestions will be the group reads. We'll have a general thread where everyone can suggest shoujo manga at any time. We'll go through the list and pick the first two on the list for our group reads, and they will be removed from the list.

Vote on General Suggestions: This will be like the way group reads are chosen in our sister group, the Japanese Novel and Light Novel group. We'll rotate through the list of general shoujo suggestions, voting on a sub list of them to pick the two with the most votes Those chosen will be removed from the list, and those not chosen will be rotated to again eventually.

Some general things to note
* We'll still be picking two group reads every month.
* Group Reads will still span two months
* The Challenges will still be themed, and will still generally run two months
* If you have other ideas for how group reads should function, please post it in our Suggestions thread so that it can be easily seen and discussed. If there's enough interest in any new ideas, we can make a poll to revisit the issue in a couple of months.
* The poll for this will run one month and the result will be implemented in time for our next monthly read in January.

message 30: by Selena (new)

The results are in.

It was close, but it looks like things will be the same as they were previously.

However, we can only keep this up with all of your help. If we're going to keep up the themed group reads, We need you guys to give us suggestions for themes, both group reads and challenges, and manga to read.

If we don't get the suggestions, we'll go to the second most popular option, having a long general list that we keep voting off of, like the system in the JNLN book club.

So, here's hoping I see more suggestions so we can keep doing what you want! :)

message 31: by Selena (new)

Sorry for running so late on the monthly read discussions! Conventions ate my soul, and it slipped my mind.

The discussions are up now. Again, sorry for this being too late.

message 32: by Selena (new)

Due to a mistake on my part, Dawn of the Arcana won't be our group read. We read it less than a year ago (November/December 2017), and so Ouran High School Host Club will be one of our three books.

Sorry for any confusion and/or disappointment this might cause.

message 33: by Selena (new)

Just reminding you about our challenge. Remember that if you complete the challenge, you get to pick a shoujo manga for our group to read, so make sure you enter! :)

Also, make sure to get your suggestions in for our our next group read

message 34: by Selena (new)

Hi everyone!

In case you hadn't noticed, in the last year, I've added a reward for completing challenges and reading the most manga! I've noticed that not too many people have been taking advantage of this by doing the challenges, so I created a poll to know how you all feel about it.

So, do you like that we let the person who reads the most books in the challenge pick a group read?

message 35: by Selena (last edited Apr 03, 2019 06:39PM) (new)

Hi everyone! I bet you're wondering where the poll for our next group read is, and I'm here to tell you we only got two suggestions this time, so no poll for May and June's reads.

I also want to remind you about our thread to suggest group read themes for the future.

message 36: by Selena (last edited May 19, 2019 08:28AM) (new)

Hi everyone!

Just reminding you of the deal I made with you all back in 2017. I can't run this group the way you all want me to without help from you guys!

So before I switch things over, I wanted to give you all a chance to keep themes!

From you guys, I'll need:
* Suggestions for our bimonthly group reads! We take themed suggestions from you all every other month and vote on those suggestions.

* Suggestions for themes! Because you all like having our reads meet a theme, I need you guys to suggest themes for our reads. They can be anything you want. We've themed around seasons or book covers or genres in the past, but the possibilities are endless! I am one mere human, though, and can't always think of new themes for you guys, so that's where you come in! Suggest some themes for our group reads.

* Suggest challenges and participate in challenges! Participating even gives you a chance to pick a group read!

* And if you're interested, Apply to be a mod! Running this group is a lot easier with even one more person active on the team. Let me know if you're interested!

* And if you have any other suggestions, suggest them here! We're always looking for ways to improve.

You can do all of these things, or just one of these things! If everyone works together, we can all have even more fun here in the Shoujo Manga Book Club. :)

message 37: by Selena (new)

Voting for our next group read ends tomorrow! Make sure you get your votes in!

message 38: by Selena (new)

Hi everyone!

So we didn't get any suggestions for our last group read, so I want to remind you that our suggestion thread for July-August suggestions is open.

Also, if you'd like to see different themes, suggest them here.

message 39: by Selena (new)

Hi everyone,

Sorry it's been a little quiet around here. I needed to take a little break from running the group, so it's going to be a little quiet still... A lot has happened in 2020, worldwide and in my personal life.

I'll try to be back in the new year with more manga and challenges. Thank you for your patience!

Sincerely,
Selena
Group Mod

PS. If anyone's interested in being a mod, we're always accepting applications

message 40: by Selena (new)

Due to a lack of interest in suggesting books for our group reads, we will be adjusting how we do the group reads. Instead of doing bi-monthly themes, we will switch over to the system used by our sister group, the Japanese Novel and Light Novel Book Club.

I will start a thread shortly for people to add group read suggestions to whenever they want. Every other month, I will pick up to seven off the list for everyone to vote on, and the top 2 winners will be our group read. Winners of our challenges will also be able to select a shoujo manga.

Thank you for your understanding!