What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Green Book
This topic is about The Green Book
SOLVED: Children's/YA > YA Science Fiction book about girl moving with family to new planet to escape the uninhabitable earth [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 14, 2012 11:54PM) (new)

I got this book from a library in Virginia in maybe the mid 2000's.

The premise of the book is the earth is now somehow destroyed and humans must migrate to a new planet. The protagonist is a little girl, maybe around 9-12. I want to say her name is Laurie, Laura, Lauren or something like that. I may be way off base though. She lives with her brother (maybe 11-13ish at beginning of book) and her father. There was another girl who was her friend or possibly older sister.

Her and her family and the remaining inhabitants of earth go on rockets to a new planet. The only thing I remember about the condition of the earth is that the sky had turned another color. On the rocket they each take a book. The little girl is secretive about her book and let's no one see it. The journey on the rocket takes several years.

They finally land and the new planet is much smaller than earth. They struggle on the new planet as stored food begins to run out. They brought animals with them to provide food. The main girl is sad though as the bunnies brought have all died and were not bred because they had no use. The girl and her friend have a picnic outside. The other girl gets fed up with the lack of food and runs off and makes wheat into bread. The wheat had been thought unsafe to eat because of it's glass like appearance and consistency. Everyone thinks this girl has basically just killed herself and start to freak out. Someone says something like, "You didn't!" and she smiles and says, "It's good."

The next day everyone makes pancakes. The family gets a tattered, and one remaining, copy of Grimm's fairy tales. It is revealed at the end of the book the little girl had brought a blank journal and he been writing about her life on the rocket and the new planet. I think it all worked out okay in the end.

Emily | 136 comments This is The Green Book by Jill Paton Walsh.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Emily wrote: "This is The Green Book by Jill Paton Walsh."

Wow. That was fast. That is definitely the book. I've been looking forever. I'm literally amazed.