Parents of Tweens (9-14) discussion

Discussions > tween boy

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) i need something for my son to read this summer. he read all the harry potter books and the series of unfortunate events books. he doesn't really have a type of book he likes to read. i have tried to get him to read the percy jackson books and some james patterson tween stuff, but it's a no go, but he has read some of patterson's stuff. it all depends on his mood. i guess something current would be good. when he watches tv, he watches shows about ghosts if that helps. he's into cars and designing things.

message 2: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Davis | 120 comments Hi *teasinme*. If your son likes to watch ghost shows on TV you might see if he likes Welcome to Dead House by R.L. Stine. It's the first in a long Goosebumps series, very popular tween horror. If he doesn't like that, please don't hesitate to ask again. I am hoping some of our members might have some more suggestions. Good luck! Best Wishes, Tim.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen | 1 comments I would recommend the Redwall series by Brain Jacques. My son loved those.

For some reason even though I am a member of this group and I get messages I had to rejoin.

message 4: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Davis | 120 comments Thanks, Karen, for stepping in to offer a recommendation to *teasinme*. What a pain that Goodreads made you rejoin. I have no idea why. Thanks again!

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) I tried Goosebumps. He didn't like them. I loved them growing up.

message 6: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Davis | 120 comments Have you tried Something Wicked This Way Comes orThe Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury? Or--on a different track and contemporary-- Artemis Fowl and the series that follows by Eoin Colfer? Come back for more ideas if these don't pan out, and I again thank Karen and ask other members to make suggestions. Best Wishes, Tim

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) I will look into those. Thanks. He just finished the Witch and Wizard series and he loved it.

message 8: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Davis | 120 comments Witch & Wizard? Then he might like Over Sea, Under Stone and the series that follows by Susan Cooper. Or, A Wrinkle in Time and the series that follows by Madeleine L'Engle.

message 9: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Lord knows it's a little late now but I did have an idea for you to try. There are several adaptations of most of the classics. My 9 year old son had recently discovered them. I had hoped he would just read the originals but I'm desperate to keep him enjoying reading so we did a Halloween buddy read of Frankenstein-the original for me, the GreatIllustrated Classics one for him. He loved it! We ordered their Dracula version next and he's reading their The Time Machine (H.G. Wells) in the meantime. These are the first classics I've ever been able to tempt him with. OUr library has many of them and we found more in used bookstores. Amazon even has them for Kindle. A little high-priced but there you are.

message 10: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Timothy wrote: "Witch & Wizard? Then he might like Over Sea, Under Stone and the series that follows by Susan Cooper. Or, A Wrinkle in Time and the series that follows by Madeleine L'Engle."

I was thinking of exactly those two!

message 11: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 1 comments Gregor the Overlander books.

message 12: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Thanks, Jenna, I'll go check those out!

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lmmmml) I know that I'm late to this one, but what about The Bad Beginning? My three oldest kids devoured those this last summer.

message 14: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Thanks Lisa, I feel like the thread would be helpful to lots of parents. Many are just searching GoodReads for something for the boy to read. I haven't even heard of that one but if 3 kids liked it, heck, it must be good. I'll show it to Thomas too.

message 15: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) OH, duh, Lemony Snicket! Loved the movie. Love a series.

message 16: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Lisa wrote: "I know that I'm late to this one, but what about The Bad Beginning? My three oldest kids devoured those this last summer."

I keep showing that series to my Thomas and he says, meh. I hope one day he'll say, sure. Mainly cos I want to read it too.

message 17: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cpassage) | 9 comments Stephanie wrote: "i need something for my son to read this summer. he read all the harry potter books and the series of unfortunate events books. he doesn't really have a type of book he likes to read. i have tri..."

Sorry I'm late to this conversation...just discovered the group. My 12 yr. old son and I both really liked Far Far Away by Tom McNeal. Narrator is the ghost of Jacob Grimm. Just a tiny bit creepy but kept us both guessing until the end. Very appealing boy protagonist with an interesting take on the "life" of a ghost...