Harold and the Purple Crayon (Harold, #1) Harold and the Purple Crayon discussion

Were they alive?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Spencer Ever since my grandma first read these to me, I always wondered this. In the story, were the things Harold drew alive, or were they just still drawings? It seemed to me that there weren't animated objects, because they never seemed to move. That struck me as very odd as a child.

Robin I just remember his drawing things, I don't think they came alive. There was a cartoon on television, where the kids would draw things to get out of scrapes, and what they drew came alive. Harold and the Purple Crayon was such a cute book

Spencer Yeah, I think you're right about the book. I just found that so creepy, which is why I was fascinated by it as a child.

Robin I have to check out that book again.

Will IV "In the story, were the things Harold drew alive, or were they just still drawings?"

You're asking the wrong question. It's both. It's about a child using his imagination to build a world around him as he falls asleep.

Robin don't remember that aspect of it, it reminds me of where the wild things are.

Trenny Loved this book as a kid. I wanted that purple crayon!

Robin it opened up worlds for that little guy.