Women Who Love Books Too Much discussion

Recommend one book QUICKLY!!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cathy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Cathy | 48 comments Mod
Hi there.

Here is the challenge:

If you could recommend ONE book TODAY, which one would you recommend? It doesn't have to be your favorite, and don't OVERTHINK this (as we are ALL inclined to do). Just say which lands with a in your brain making you recommend it.

K. I recommend Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffennegger.

Why? Because it held my heart for the time I read it. I buy some of my books at a used book store. In this copy, there was a homemade (i.e., hand-written) bookmark that said, "When did you forget that you are beautiful?" So that surprised me and endeared me even more!!
I recommended this book once to a friend of mine who is a man, and there was absolutely no interest, no capture: he gave up after 3 chapters. Every woman I have recommended it to has had the same emotional response to the book as me.
NEXT???

message 2: by Mandy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Mandy One book that immediately comes to mind is "The Kite Runner". I read it recently and it was hard to put down, I just wanted to keep on reading it. It's a fiction book but could be completely true.

message 3: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult comes to mind for me. I think most of you may have already read or have heard of this book.

message 4: by Rachael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Rachael Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom.

message 5: by Alice (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:10PM) (new)

Alice Gold (alicewgold) The Best Christmas Pageant Ever is my alltime favorite and a perfect recommendation at this time of year. Anyone can read it in about an hour.

It is inspiring for Christians, but is also very humorous as touches on the societal woe of child neglect, which holds a place in my heart.

message 6: by Penny (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:12PM) (new)

Penny The Princess Bride S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure
by William Goldman
I just finished it and it was really good.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

For me off the top of my head would be The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon! It's one of my top faves from 2006 that I read. My mom is finally making progress reading the copy I gave her to keep, but knowing her she'll end up giving it back for some reason:( This book is beautiful from the first sentence. If you're a bookworm then the main character is going to turn into a KS real quick:)
I hope this author will have more of his books published in the USA.

message 8: by Erica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

Erica | 3 comments Bridget Jones Diary, Bridget is my homegirl and i really get her!!

I think every women goes through their Bridget Jones phase, plus the book is so funny!

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 2 comments Definitely the Historian. Made me want to go to Turkey and Eastern Europe. Made me believe in vampires *almost* :-)

When I read the book at night - I'd run to switch off the light and then dart back into bed and pull the covers over my head. LoL - I obviously have a vivid immagination.

message 10: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (grammyellen) | 3 comments nineteen minutes by jodi picoult, it made me glad that my children are grown. but now i will worry for my grandchildren. you never know about kids these days.
ellen

message 11: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (acharmedhour) | 1 comments 'The Mists of Avalon' by Marion Zimmer Bradley. I've read it countless amounts of time, and continue to read it as my 'end of the year' book. :)

message 12: by Fenixbird (new)

Fenixbird SandS | 8 comments Snow Falling On Cedars by Dave Guterson. Amazing story of true love...with serious cultural emphasis..right off the top of my head! LOL

message 13: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (yahoodymcewan) hey there i would seriously recomend Diana Gabaldon's outlander/crosstitch. i was hooked after the first chapter. My sister in-law bought it for me & i'm now on the last book of the outlander series.

message 14: by Katy (new)

Katy (goose) | 1 comments Lisa, I agree. The Historian was EXCELLENT! Since that's taken, I'm going to recommend Tell Them I Didn't Cry. Great book.

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy I loved The Shadows of the Wind by carlos Ruiz

message 16: by Jayci (new)

Jayci | 7 comments Cathy, how funny! My first thought at that question is always The Time Travelers Wife. Most books, I forget details as time goes by. Not the case with this unforgetable read. The movie hits theaters in June or July. I hope Brad Pitts production company did it justice.

message 17: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 48 comments Mod
I had NO IDEA that Time Traveler's Wife was going to be a movie! Is brad pitt going to be the guy? (last night my daughter and I watched "Troy" and so in my head he is still a naked warrior.) (maybe in one of his time travels, he will arrive as normal -- naked --but with Achilles hair and muscles).
I can't wait, though. I will have to read it again premovie. Of course.

message 18: by Jayci (new)

Jayci | 7 comments Brad will not be playing Henry. I believe it's the guy that played the Incredible Hulk...ahh. I can't think of his name right now. Oh, Bana...Eric Bana. Rachel McAdams will be Clare. Eric Bana wasn't too shaby in Troy either. Although nothing beats Brads muscles! When he jumped up sideways in Troy and got that monster giant in the neck with his sword....I think I stopped breathing for a minute. Very nice. Time Travlers Wife actually opens in November, so you have some time to re-read.

message 19: by Holly (new)

Holly | 1 comments I recommend "Time and the River" by Zee Edgell! She is the leading author from Belize. The story centers on a young slave women in the late 1700s. She marries a slave owner and inherits all his "property" when he dies, including members of her own family. The story is really engrossing and it's hard to put down. A really fascinating work of historical fiction.

Full disclosure: The author is my mother!

message 20: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 48 comments Mod
That's kinda fun, that your mom wrote this book! And even better that you love it!
Wouldn't it be horrible if you hated it??
My mom always had a story going on in her head and on several pages (she typed, not word processed, no such things then) but she never finished at all. It was such a weird story for her -- I never could understand her connection to the story. But whatever.
I want to read this book now (Time and the River). And besides, how cool is the name "Zee"?

message 21: by Kate (new)

Kate Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, by John Berendt. I reccommend this book to pretty much everyone I know. It's travel literature about the city of Savannah and a murder trial that happens while Berendt is there, but that description doesn't do it justice. This book is really about the people the author meets and, as John Cusack's John Berendt character tells his editor in the movie, "this place is like Gone With the Wind on mescaline".

(This is also in my review of the book.)

message 22: by Lynette (new)

Lynette (crazywolf) BOOM! -- Where Are You Now -- The Night Journal -- Sage-ing Whil Age-ing -- The Lady In Blue
Sorry I got a little carried away.

message 23: by Sherry (new)

Sherry I relly loved March by Geraldine Brooks and would definitely recommend it.It's been my
favourite this year so far.Looking forward to
The Time Travellers Wife as well.

message 24: by MJ (new)

MJ Well I would say any Stephanie Plum book by Janet Evanovich I am always suggesting them to people. Or for a more serious read I would go with The Eight by Katherine Neville

message 25: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) Enchantment by Orson Scott Card

message 26: by Federica (new)

Federica | 5 comments An everlasting classic Frankestein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley.

message 27: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1 comments gone with the wind.i read the book 5 0r 6 times.saw the movie even more.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky. It touched me more than any other book had it a very long time.

message 29: by Stef (new)

Stef (buch_ratte) | 5 comments The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. A fantastic book, loved every word of it.

message 30: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiethewriter) | 2 comments The first book that came to mind for me was The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon. Sure, it's huge. But it's a great story about a couple of cousins, one fresh from Nazi occupied Prague, who decide to start a comic book. The book follows these two men through five distinct portions of their lives. It's really detailed, and a great story.

message 31: by Liana (new)

Liana | 3 comments Shadowland by Meg Cabot. Think of Ghost Whisperer but with a 16 year-old girl. It's cute. Fun. And an easy read. I thought of this only because I'm reading the last book in the series.

message 32: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (merriama) I second that recommendation. And if you liked that, you'll like The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

message 33: by Fenixbird (new)

Fenixbird SandS | 8 comments The Summer Before the Dark by Doris Lessing (Found this one at local used book store. One of the best I have ever read!)

message 34: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brenlouhen) The Hummingbird's Daughter-I couldn't put it down!

message 35: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 48 comments Mod
In response to several posts: First, I saw the preview for Time Traveler's Wife when I went to the movie last, and starting crying immediately (my sister made terrible fun of me). I can't wait to see it.
Second, to Frederica, I just read Frankenstein this year (had never before) and really quite enjoyed it. Sad. Have you read Dracula? That is my next one of the "classics" that I want to read.
Third has anyone read, um, I think the title is something like A Thousand Splendid Suns (or something) by the same guy who wrote Kite Runner (which was gut-wrenching but I agree with Mandy that it was a page-turner). Anyway, recommendations??

message 36: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 1 comments Hi Cathy,
I read A Thousand Splendid Suns for the second time this year. I just loved it. It is a bit crude, page turning, but pictures de lives of Afghan women in such a real way, it is very moving.It makes you value the lifestyle we have. I think you will enjoy it. Let me hear what you think about it when you finish reading.

message 37: by Sheila (new)

Sheila I loved Cider House Rules, a little controversial but an interesting read.

message 38: by Lynette (new)

Lynette (crazywolf) Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

message 39: by Diva (new)

Diva (magicaldiva) | 5 comments i don;t know why, but this one came to mind too fast, "Diving through Clouds" by Nicola Lindsay. i really don;t know why that came to me :/

message 40: by Chick Lit Shorties (last edited Aug 12, 2010 02:15AM) (new)

Chick Lit Shorties (ChickLitShorties) | 1 comments The Time Traveler's wife. Hated getting to that last page - that was a world I just did not want to leave behind.
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

message 41: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Jackson (melaniejaxn) | 3 comments The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon-- beautiful, exciting, scary... perfect.

message 42: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 2 comments Night Swimming by Robin Schwarz

Night Swimming by Robin Schwarz

It was a mystery, it was karma, it was sweet, it was funny

Soul searching and uplifting and for fans of Tom Selleck... You will love it!

message 43: by Susan (new)

Susan (sjerowsky) | 1 comments The Disappeared, Kim Echlin.
Haunted my dreams for days after.

message 44: by Sheila (new)

Sheila If Wishes Were Horses: A Novel by Merry Whiteford

It isn't a feel good book, but it is a gripping story about foster children and what some of them deal with.

message 45: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (shannyd) | 2 comments The Thirteenth Tale - my sister and I both loved it (my father found it depressing, what does he know?)

message 46: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 3 comments LOLA, CALIFORNIA by Edie Meidav: by far the best contemporary book I've read this year, and a must-read for women who have ever mulled over sexuality, femininity, or parenthood. Other themes include dystopia, the death penalty, and cult-followings. Really a fantastic novel. Highly recommended.

message 47: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 3 comments Hello female book-lovers,

I thought I'd share a book preview I found of a novel I suggested a few days ago: Lola, California: A Novel by Edie Meidav. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6iY2A...

message 48: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 3 comments An excerpt from Lola, California has been published on the Sundance channel! Read it here:

http://www.sundancechannel.com/sunfil...

message 49: by Paula (new)

Paula Croskell (pcroskell) | 2 comments The girl with the dragon tattoo by Steig Larrson- I couldn't put it down as I was intrigued to find out what happens at the end!

message 50: by Belina (new)

Belina Tenorio (enjoythecrisis) | 1 comments Delirium by Lauren Oliver. :)

« previous 1