Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

TV/Movies/Music > Snow White and the Huntsman

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments SPOILERS I was so excited to see this and was disappointed. Not that it wasn't good, but some things were really disappointing to me. I thought the evil Queen was overdone - I mean I know she was awful but did we have to see her eating the guts of a dead bird with her fingernail? I loved the beautiful scenes in the faery forest and the scenes with the knights and Snow White on horseback on the beach were epic. I mostly was disappointed in the extremely understated romance. I didn't need much, but what was with him kissing her and her not waking up. That kind of ruined it for me. He talks to her as she lies there and that was beautiful. (Kristen, Chris, and the actor who played the Prince were great) Then he kisses her, she doesn't wake up, and he simply walks away? And when she wakes up alone and walks out, the Prince comes up and touches her hand but where is the Huntsman? He comes wandering up in the crowd while she is talking and they never even get near each other again (except a few words on horseback). Very disappointed in that. The visuals in the forest were great - the special effects good too, but the total picture just disappointed me.

message 2: by Gail (new)

Gail Koger (gailkoger) | 57 comments I was disappointed in the movie, too. There was no romance and at the end the Huntsman leaves!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments Trouble is it hurt the movie. I went at midnight (see I REALLY was excited about it) with a friend and she didn't like it very much. Then the next day I went again with my son and two granddaughters. They just thought it was just okay. I expected it to be the kind of movie I would go to several times (I don't do that often but thought I would this one) but only went the second time because I was visiting them and they wanted to go. I am not sure how it is doing, but there sure doesn't seem to be much excitement on facebook like there was before it was released. The first one needs to be great for them to do a second one!

message 5: by NayNay (new)

NayNay We all know Snow White to be a fairytale. But the original Snow White was 'Snow White and the Huntsman' and it was dark and scary. They had banned it because it was too scary and was terrifying children. I think this is what they went back to in this movie.

But I agree it was a little disappointing, I was looking for a little contact between Kristen and Chris....and I think they could have gave us a better ending, at least a kiss!!!

This may upset some...but in my opinion Kristen was badly casted, they could of had a better Snow White.

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (mlpmombookreviewer) | 839 comments I don't mean to offend all the Kristen lovers out there but, I was worried when I saw her in the cast of characters that she wouldn't be the best one possible to play Snow White.
I was afraid it would be a disappointment to a lot of people.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments I am a Twilight fan, and Kristen is the perfect Bella, but I had misgivings about her in this too. But I thought she did a great job.

It was kind of amusing the similarity between a couple of scenes and Twilight. Her lying lost in the forest and the camera panning from above. And for sure when she lies "dead" with us waiting for her to awaken. Both scenes are in the stories so they were necessary but kind of an amusing likeness when played by the same actress.

message 8: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) I loved the movie and thought Charlize Theron as the Queen was perfect. I went with my teenage daughters. One of them loves dark fantasy the other not so much. One of my daughters said that it was amazing that she was so evil and yet you still felt sorry for her.
We all loved this movie. We are all huge Chris Hemsworth fans. I loved seeing him in a role where he played someone human. I thought he was great. I loved what my daughter said about the kissing scene "if he kisses me there is no way I'm not waking up and grabbing him!" Kristen Stewart is just such a flat actress and I thought she was wrong for this role. There is no chemistry - if I was the Huntsman, I would walk away too. Loved the visuals and the story. But unfortunately Kristen did not do what was needed for that character and to bring tension to the role. And I agree with the person who said that dark fantasy is not about romance. Unfortunately, because when he is around you want some romance to happen. But again, I loved what they tried to do here. Not everything worked, but it was alot of fun.

message 9: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere I agree with Leslie. I thought the Queen was perfect as well. She was just ugly and beautiful, she was evil, yet vulnerable at times. Bravo Charlize Theron, I was rooting for her because she was engaging.

On the other hand, Kristen Stewart was a really bad choice for Snow White. She wasn't a good Bella in Twilight, but I had learned to work with her since she seemed Awkward like Bella.
But as Snow White, she blows it big time.

Chris Hemsworth as the Huntsman was a great choice too. I like the slow building up of the romance. The romance took a back seat to her survival, as it should. She has to live before, we can deal with love.

this movie was not a fairy tale and I wouldn't let my kids see it!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments Chris Hemsworth is worth seeing in ANYTHING. I loved the scene where he talked to her as she lay there supposedly in death. Beautifully done.

message 11: by NayNay (new)

NayNay Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "Chris Hemsworth is worth seeing in ANYTHING. I loved the scene where he talked to her as she lay there supposedly in death. Beautifully done."

He is very YUMMY!!

message 12: by Deana (new)

Deana (dstom) | 19 comments Chris Hemsworth & Charlize Theron were excellent.

KS? not so much.
I am having a great deal of difficulty believing that there wasn't anyone else in all of Hollywierdland interested in playing the role of Snow White. (Seriously, no one else was signed???) Frankly, I would have preferred to see a complete neophyte in the role rather than Kristen Stewart. KS is just such a one-dimensional one-trick-pony it's painful to watch. Her strengths as an actress? Playing an idiot, breathing through her mouth, and exaggerating heavy breathing. One of the best scenes in the movie was in the village, when she was playing with the child -- the child did all of the acting, btw, and KS just sat opposite the kid which is why that particular ~20 sec blip was good -- and another was just before the charge on the castle when the Huntsman/Hemsworth said something to her and KS kept her mouth shut.

For me, it's a safe bet that if I ever see anything else with her in it, it's because I'm guaranteed to watch her die. Like what happened to Paris Hilton in Wax, and that Star Trek TNG movie where Kirk died.

message 13: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere But she will be in the subsequent Snow White movies as it is supposed to be a trilogy. So get ready to roll your eyes at her, but enjoy the other people.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments Funny, I was fine with Kristen but thought Charlize over-acted and she got on my nerves. But we all agree about Chris.

message 15: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 451 comments My husband and I went to see the movie last night. I can't remember the last movie we went to and are not up to date on the "newer" actors and actresses. On the way out of the theater my husband remarked that he couldn't understand the choice of actress for Snow White. He said she had no charisma, little acting talent, and didn't fit the role. We both felt that Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth were very good.

message 16: by Deana (new)

Deana (dstom) | 19 comments Sandra J wrote: "On the way out of the theater my husband remarked that he couldn't understand the choice of actress for Snow White. ..."

I think what happened there is that the studio was trying to cash in on KS being "all the rage" just because of the popularity of the Twi movies. Because, let's face it, back when everyone was being signed for this movie she was "all the rage because of the Twilight movies." At least, that's what I'm going to blame it on. ;)

message 17: by Bella (new)

Bella Street (bellastreet) | 35 comments Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "I am a Twilight fan, and Kristen is the perfect Bella, but I had misgivings about her in this too. But I thought she did a great job.

It was kind of amusing the similarity between a couple of sce..."

I thought the same thing. It was a little Twilight ZONE there for a bit. LOL

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I MADE MII MOMMY TAKE ME TO GO C THE MIDNITE PREMIRE AND IT WAS AWESOME!!!! I WANT TO GO C IT AGAIN

message 19: by Anika (new)

Anika (teddybear1) | 318 comments I saw the movie and through the preview I thought it would have been a bit better. I liked it but was a bit disappointed. I was hoping for a bit more romance and a wedding between Snow White and the Huntsman.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments I didn't need a wedding. A mutual kiss would have been nice. Even some sweet words would have been nice.

message 21: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "I didn't need a wedding. A mutual kiss would have been nice. Even some sweet words would have been nice."

Lol. Agreed.

message 22: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Bell (LupLun) | 7 comments The problem wasn't Kristen Stewart, the problem was that she was given an awful, awful role. Snow White is basically a walking MacGuffin: critically important the plot, yet completely useless to it. If you watch the movie closely, she doesn't do a damn thing for the entire time between breaking out of the castle and waking up on a funeral bier. She never solves any of the problems she finds herself in: they're solved because someone else helps her out, or because someone or something recognizes her goodness and purity, or because the queen's henchman/brother is an incompetent moron. Yeah, okay, Snow White dresses up in platemail and gets stabitty on the queen in the end, but that part is so incongruous it feels like it's from another film entirely. We should have gotten some buildup to it. Even a post-wakeup training montage might have sufficed.

Bottom line: Stewart did the best she could in a bland and wooden role, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Thank goodness Charlize Theron is there to chew the scenery a bit. Saves the movie.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments Bottom line for me the screenplay was poorly written and the directing not good either. Probably the editing made a difference too. The IDEA of it was great as was the scenery, the costumes....Chris Hemsworth. LOL And he only had one good scene that required any acting ability - the one when she lay there presumed dead. He nailed that one.

message 24: by Deana (new)

Deana (dstom) | 19 comments S.J. wrote: " Stewart did the best she could in a bland and wooden role, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear..."

Well, if the role itself was bland and wooden, then I think they signed the perfect 'actress' for it. IMNSHO though, it wasn't the role that was the problem. Because although you don't make silk from leather, you sure as heck can make a Gucci bag!:)

message 25: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstye3223) | 13 comments I enjoyed it. The dark forest and the death scene with the Huntsman really stood out for me. But I can see why people think that Kristen Stewart is an awkward actress, sometimes she does look uncomfortable in her own skin.

Chris Hemsworth is proving to be a great actor to watch out for... his accent was a little strange in the film though! :)

message 26: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) | 65 comments I'm going to see this movie on Sunday and I can't wait. I'm not a big fan of kristen, I think she's rather wooden, but i don't care...the effects look amazing.

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (mybookboyfriend) | 241 comments I saw the movie and it was good. But I didn't feel any romance between anyone.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments I thought Chris used his natural Aussie accent in the film. No reason to have any particular fake one in a fairy tale!

message 29: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstye3223) | 13 comments Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "I thought Chris used his natural Aussie accent in the film. No reason to have any particular fake one in a fairy tale!"

I heard some strange Scottish undertones there, not all Aussie all the way through! :)

True Love Forever (trueloveforever) | 102 comments The romance - yes I think they leave it open for a possible sequel. I saw this movie 3x now. Not because it was so awesome i just had friends who couldn't see it at the same time together. Iwas disaapointed in teh ending. i was like give an insiring speech or show some romance. I have come to realize that the man who kisses her and wakes her is the TRUE prince and that was the huntsman. The other man was just a childhood friend and son of the Duc, not a prince. There was a few moments of something between them though. The romance was a little understated for sure. but the movie was well done and visually stunning.

True Love Forever (trueloveforever) | 102 comments I agree with another commenter about how we have the sudience is drawn in to the quee's character and feel sorry for her even though she is so wicked adn twisted now. I like all three main actors. And feel like KS and CH didn't have much character development in this story. We see what happened to her childhood and learn that he fought in the war, married and lost his wife. But that is it. We don;t really get to know these two well.

message 32: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments The point of her ending with the huntsman was that she ended up with the humbler man rather than the wealthy or titled one, presumably because love doesn't require either. We didn't learn much about the huntsman, but maybe that's why the ending was a little unresolved.

I liked the movie overall. The director made possible the great visuals and contributed to actors who understood their characters and the script writer made possible that moving scene with Hemsworth. (I remember thinking, Thor does have feelings!) Made me weepy. I just hated Kristen Stewart. She obviously has no vision and is not cut out for anything 'paranormal.' Only contemporary. She wasn't comfortable at all, probably doesn't have a lot of experience with fantasy anything, from the looks of it.

The movie was a little predictable, but I guess the sequel will fix that? Charlize is contracted, so maybe we'll get flashbacks with the princess (ugh) and the stepmom?

message 33: by Erica (new)

Erica (ssserica) | 15 comments I thought Kristen's acting tanked the movie. I loved the scenery and special effects Charlize did over act but I think it was required for the role of " evil queen" it's an over the top fantasy unfortunately Kristen didn't get that and instead of feeling like she was the "pure life bringing true Heir " she seemed flat and confused.

message 34: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) | 65 comments What I didn't get is the end. What terrible directing. A long camera shot of Snow White looking all wooden and uncomfortable, and I think there was supposed to be a 'moment' between Snow White and the huntsman via their longing looks and gazes...but it just looked like SW was having a bowel movement. I hope that's not her sultry, sexy look!

message 35: by Monica (new)

Monica Briscoe (chloetwin) | 15 comments Was so disappointed!! KS was the worst actress for this role. She is like an empty shell on the screen, waiting for someone to fill her up. They should have cast her as Pinnochio before he became a real boy...wooden and lifeless. I didn't know it was going to be a trilogy, but no way am I paying to see the second one...I'll wait for a free code from the Redbox down the street.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 407 comments Just a comment on Chris Hemsworth's accent, definitely not our everyday garden variety... more like an Aussie who had voice coaching to sound like a Brit!