What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA fiction about a teenage boy in a world freezing to death [s]

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Grant (firefightrix) | 72 comments This is a coming of age story for a teenaged boy. He lives in a world where the worst swear word you can say is "Freeze you!" The story starts with him in one part of the country and then he goes to join his father who has been working on a super secret project. While at the new location, he meets a girl of lower status and falls in love with her. They spend some time in a boat and for some reason the water thickens with the cold instead of freezing over. Finally at the end of the book, it is revealed that the world is about to enter a "deep freeze" and everyone who can goes in to an underground facility to try to outlast the cold. The higher your social standing, the deeper into the ground you are allowed to go. The implication is that the scientist don't know how deep the cold will penetrate.

I read this in the late 70's or early 80's. Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Michelle

message 2: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments Could this be a book by Monica Hughes? I don't recognize it, but it sounds like something that she would write.

message 3: by Kris (last edited Jun 16, 2012 05:42AM) (new)

Kris | 215 comments Helliconia Winter by Brian Aldiss?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/67...

I doubt it would be considered a YA book, but you never know.

message 4: by Ali (last edited Jul 04, 2012 10:22AM) (new)

Ali The Day After Tomorrow by Whitley Strieber & Roland Emmerich?

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Grant (firefightrix) | 72 comments Not The Day after Tomorrow. You really got the impression that the world was not our world at all. I don't think it it the Heliconia Winter book because the main story focused on the boys life not on the events surrounding him, either political or natural. When the boy learns that the world is freezing is very much a surprise to him even though the author makes sure that you the reader aren't terribly surprised by it.

message 6: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 340 comments The book by Monica Hughes is called Ring Rise Ring Set, but it doesn't match the description. I've come up blank in my searches so far otherwise.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Grant (firefightrix) | 72 comments Well thank you for looking. I appreciate all of your help.

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Don't give up yet. Sometimes it takes a few weeks to find the book. I just had one solved after 3-4 months.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39824 comments Mod
Michelle, are you still looking for this book?

Cheryl struggles to catch up (cherylllr) Michelle is still active on GR so she should see this.

Michelle, we've actually had books solved after years. It helps to 'bump' the thread every month or two, though.

Justanotherbiblophile | 1779 comments Related to this search, but not the book/story the OP is looking for, is _A Pail of Air_, in which the MC is like 14 or 15. But, (view spoiler), so as you can see, there's no lower-caste love interest (view spoiler).

Cheryl struggles to catch up (cherylllr) Yeah, that classic story was my first thought, too. Tx for the note.

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Grant (firefightrix) | 72 comments Yes. I am still looking for this. Thank you everyone for your help. I remember the book having a depressing feel to it.

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Grant (firefightrix) | 72 comments This may not have been YA. That was when I read it, but I wasn't very chaperoned over my reading. I remember the boy had sex for the first time in the book so maybe not.

It also could have been a novella in an anthology.

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Grant (firefightrix) | 72 comments bump!

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Grant (firefightrix) | 72 comments If this is in an anthology, it might also contain this story

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 17: by Robert (new)

Robert Cauley | 164 comments Time of the great freeze-Robert Silverberg Robert C

message 18: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Grant (firefightrix) | 72 comments Not that one, but the story I am looking for sounds like the prequel to that book,

message 19: by Sue (new)

Sue Blaikie | 131 comments I have just clicked the link to this from your post about sex with aliens and I know this book! It's Hello Summer Goodbye by Michael G Coney and I have just finished rereading it and am now rereading the sequel I Remember Pallahaxi which I think is even better. Both are available as ebooks.

message 20: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35681 comments Mod
Hello Summer, Goodbye by Michael G. Coney for Sue's suggestion.

message 21: by Sue (new)

Sue Blaikie | 131 comments Sorry I was so excited because I knew the book and amazed at the coincidence that I forgot the link!

message 22: by Kris (last edited Jul 21, 2015 04:57AM) (new)

Kris | 35681 comments Mod
No worries. I'm just providing a link to the book to make it easier to look up. But, yes, we need the original poster to verify a book. :)

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Grant (firefightrix) | 72 comments I think that is it!!! Where do you get the Ebook?

message 24: by Sue (new)

Sue Blaikie | 131 comments I got the ebook from PS publishing, it was £3.99. It might be available to read for free online, I don't know, but the sequel, I Remember Pallahaxi, you can read on Infinity Plus and it is available on Amazon too. I enjoyed it even more, I hope you do too!

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Grant (firefightrix) | 72 comments That's the book! I read it with the alternate title Rax. The main character is just as insufferable as I remember!