Teen Writers - Contests and Tips and More! discussion

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grace, Head Moderator (new)

Grace (fictionaladventures) | 896 comments Mod
This discussion is for making your own threads about characters you've written about so that other people can comment on them! Have a blast!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

You mean, we have to make our own discussions?

message 3: by Grace, Head Moderator (new)

your own threads in this discussion. Like how we have the "Destiny's Writing" and "Ashlyn's Writing" things in the other discussion. It'll just be like "Destiny's Characters" and "Ashlyn's Characters" in here

message 4: by mercy (new)

mercy (mercyem) I have a character from a story I'm writing named Brin. I don't know if this has ever happened to you, but have you ever not liked one of your OWN characters? Cuz I really don't like Brin right now. I know that this is random, but just though I'd say it... haha, Yeah, I needa work on her a little ;P

message 5: by Grace, Head Moderator (new)

hahah yeah i think it's pretty normal

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought that there'd just be one discussion where we all put our characters in. But okay.

message 7: by Madi (new)

Madi | 48 comments So we make our own threads and describe our characters? 'Cause like Ashlyn was saying we could just make our own thread where we all post about our characters. But if it is easy the other way then we could do it the other way.

message 8: by Grace, Head Moderator (new)

I think it'd be easier to have our own threads but if you guys want I can do it all in one thread, no problem

message 9: by Madi (new)

Madi | 48 comments OK well either works for me.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

We'll just stick with this. Then you can read the individual critiques and discussions about your character.

message 11: by Grace, Head Moderator (new)

So you guys just want to make your own threads? cuz that works for me!

message 12: by Madi (new)

Madi | 48 comments Yeah that works! How do we do that?

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

You don't know how to make your own topic? You moderate a group, don't you? Just like you would on that.

message 14: by Grace, Head Moderator (new)

just go to the top of this page and click on "building your characters" and then "new topic"

message 15: by Madi (new)

Madi | 48 comments Ok

message 16: by Madi (new)

Madi | 48 comments Ashlyn wrote: "You don't know how to make your own topic? You moderate a group, don't you? Just like you would on that."

I do I just forget where to go

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a kinda silly idea. But it might be fun. We could do a little roleplay, in this folder, where we are each a main character of one of the stories we've written. We're in a big room that may or may not be empty. So, our main characters interact with each other. It would be a character-building activity. I saw something like this in another group where you pretend to have a discussion with your character, but this way we can all interact. Just sort of to learn your character and other peoples' too. I dunno. It might work, might not.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

That sounds cool:)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Ha, thanks. It sounded kinda lame to me so I was worried about posting it, but I'm glad you like :)

message 20: by Grace, Head Moderator (new)

I think it's a good idea. My only thing with that though is that do you guys think that belongs in this group? If you do, I'll do it. But I just feel like it seems slightly out of place in this group. But if you guys think it'll work, I'll go ahead and make it!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think it would be out-of-place. But you don't have to post it.

message 22: by Grace, Head Moderator (new)

I think it's a really good idea, actually. Remind me tomorrow (like post a comment here or something so I'll see it) and I'll put it up :)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

In my time zone, this counts as tomorrow. So...

Don't forget to post the character-roleplay-thingymado (that's a technical term, thank you very much)!

message 24: by Grace, Head Moderator (new)

haha doing that now

message 25: by Grace, Head Moderator (new)

Wait, before I do that, should we have it as just a thread in this folder, or should we have a whole folder devoted to it? And should there just be one place where everyone's characters come in? Or should we have lots of little ones where people can discuss each other one on one?

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmm, good question. I think they should stay in this folder, because it is a character building activity. Why don't we just start with one big one, and if anyone wants a one-on-one thread they can just request it?

message 27: by Grace, Head Moderator (new)

Okidoke :)

message 28: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) Mercy [The Narnian] wrote: "I have a character from a story I'm writing named Brin. I don't know if this has ever happened to you, but have you ever not liked one of your OWN characters? Cuz I really don't like Brin right n..."

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle ended up not liking Sherlock Holmes so yeah it can happen. Particularly if they're not very nice characters.

message 29: by Grace, Head Moderator (new)

I have a few characters I don't like much either :) And wow! I didn't know that about Sherlock Holmes. I wonder why he didn't like him? That's really interesting.

message 30: by Danny (new)

Danny I think he got just plain bored with Sherlock after writing so many stories about him. Also, I think Doyle might have felt that he didn't really have much talent anymore and that people only read his writing because it was about Sherlock.

And yeah Ashlyn sometimes I write characters I don't like too.

message 31: by Jane (new)

Jane | 10 comments Can we post about adult characters as well? Like, I'm writing a book aimed at an adult audience so the actual book content wouldn't work for this group, but there's nothing bad about the character profiles I made for them, so could I still post about those characters to get feedback?

message 32: by Grace, Head Moderator (new)

Jane wrote: "Can we post about adult characters as well? Like, I'm writing a book aimed at an adult audience so the actual book content wouldn't work for this group, but there's nothing bad about the character ..."

Sure you can! I know it says "Teen Writers" but I really don't mind if we have older ones either. Everyone is welcome here!