Beyond Reality discussion

General - Group Business > Nominations for September 2012!

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (last edited Jun 19, 2012 01:24PM) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Hi everyone,

It’s time to open nominations for our September 2012 Books of the Month. Each group member can make 1 science fiction and/or 1 fantasy nomination in this thread. If you would like to make a nomination, please reply to this post with the title and author of the book(s) you would like to put forward for the group’s consideration.

Telling us a little about the book and why you think it would be a good group read can help get other members interested in reading (and voting for) your nomination. You can also check the group bookshelves for previous Books of the Month to see if your nomination has already been read by the group. (Being chosen as a past BotM does not necessarily disqualify a book from current consideration, but be aware that it may hinder your nomination’s chances at the polls.)

• Feel free to re-nominate a book that didn’t win in the polls in previous months!
• Seconding isn't necessary in this group, but feel free to assert your enthusiasm for any nomination all the same.
• Friendly discussion/debate is strongly encouraged, but let's please keep things civil.

Nominations will remain open through June 19th, and the first round of polls will go up on June 20th.

Thanks!

Stefan

NOMINATIONS SO FAR:

FANTASY:

Greenmantle by Charles de Lint (paul)
The Black Company by Glen Cook (kevin)
Railsea by China Miéville (candiss)
Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton (nikita)
Dark Lover by J.R. Ward (nyssa)
The Innkeeper's Song by Peter S. Beagle (chris)
Vellum: The Book of All Hours by Hal Duncan (random)
The Killing Moon by N.K. Jemisin (stefan)
Low Town/The Straight Razor Cure by Daniel Polansky (helen)

SCIENCE FICTION:

The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway (paul)
China Mountain Zhang by Maureen F. McHugh (nick)
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (kevin)
We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (candiss)
Steal Across the Sky by Nancy Kress (marty)
Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey (stefan)

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 218 comments I'll nominate The Gone Away World by Nick Harkaway for SF, one of the best debuts I've ever read,a riotous and profoud adventure story.

For fantasy, I'll offer Greenmantle by Charles de Lint, who is simply one of the finest fantasy authors around.

message 3: by Nick (last edited Jun 15, 2012 12:17PM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 966 comments I'm going to suggest and nominate China Mountain Zhang by Maureen F. McHugh for Sci Fi.

It's been floating around topically lately -- I'm not sure why. But it's one I've had in mind for a long time, and it "feels" like it would be a good group read. And anything that's a Tiptree Award winner is a sure-fire to-be-read in my book.

message 4: by Kevin (last edited Jun 15, 2012 03:34PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments I would like to nominate for fantasy The Black Company becasue I just borrowed the rest of the series from a friend. Plus its one of the first, if not the first miltiary fantasy and dark and gritty fantasy to come out.

For science fiction I would like to nomuinate Snow Crash, which I hear is going to be made into a movie plus its one of the best science fiction book I have ever read. To top it off, its going to be made into a movie.

message 5: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Nick wrote: "I'm going to suggest and nominate China Mountain Zhang by Maureen F. McHugh for Sci Fi.

It's been floating around topically lately -- I'm not sure why. But it's one I've had in mind for a long ti..."

I've had CMZ at home for ages. I've heard it's very good, but it's one of those books that I just keep pushing back, for some inexplicable reason.

My nominations this month:

For fantasy, I'll nominate Railsea by China Miéville. This is Miéville's weird fantasy homage to Moby Dick, a strange tale of revenge, obsession, and discovery in a harsh, unforgiving landscape. With trains. And land pirates. And giant moles.

For science fiction, I'll go with something a bit older: We by Yevgeny Zamyatin. This classic dystopia is less well-known than some of its ilk, but it both predates Huxley's Brave New World by over a decade and was acknowledged as the direct inspiration for Orwell's 1984. It's a shame it often gets overlooked, and I think it would be great for discussion.

message 6: by Marty (new)

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments I'd like to try one more time for SF: Steal Across the Sky

message 7: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

I'm going to throw in one for SF myself this time: Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey (which is actually the pen name of a collaboration between author Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck, the assistant of some minor fantasy writer, I always forget his name...). Anyway, the book's up for a Hugo this year, and as a responsible Hugo voter I always try to read all the nominated fiction works, so I thought this would be a good time to tackle this one. The sequel to this novel, entitled Caliban's War, is due out later this month.

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments Stefan wrote: "I'm going to throw in one for SF myself this time: Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey (which is actually the pen name of a collaboration between author Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck, the assistant ..."

Wow did not know that. Thanks for the info!

message 9: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 127 comments I already know that my votes will go to Railsea and Snow Crash. This past week my friend could not stop gushing about how good Snow Crash is.

message 10: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

As much as I love Snow Crash, I'd rather read and discuss something that hasn't been covered a gabillion times in other groups before (and at least once in this one, albeit several years ago) so I'll vote for almost anything else myself.

(plus I'm obviously rooting for my own nomination!)

message 11: by Nikita (new)

Nikita (nikita42) There's not a lot of fantasy recommended yet, so I'm going to put up Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton, the main characters are dragons, but the plot is based almost as if it is the Victorian Era.

message 12: by Nyssa (new)

Nyssa | 84 comments For Fantasy I would like to nominate Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood #1) by J.R. Ward. As one who does not normally read romance novels, I remember feeling that Ward kept a good balance & blend between story line, story arc, action, and romance.

message 13: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Last day for nominations! If you want to add anything, today's the day to do so, as the first round of polls will go up tomorrow.

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) For fantasy: The Innkeeper's Song because it is Peter S. Beagle and he's great.

message 15: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 820 comments I'm going to skip science fiction because I want to read Steel Across the Sky.

For fantasy, I'll nominate Vellum: The Book of All Hours. It has mixed reviews, but I've heard good things from trusted sources. At the least, it should have good potential for discussion.

message 16: by Helen (new)

Helen I'd like to nominate The Straight Razor Cure which is also called Low Town for Fantasy. Supposed to be the best thing in ages, plus it's on kindle in the UK!

message 17: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Nice one, Random. I've been wanting to read that, partly because it looks interesting and partly because Hal's such an interesting guy.

I just added my own fantasy nomination to the list too: The Killing Moon by N.K. Jemisin. It's book one of a 2 book series (the second book just came out this week), and together they're some of the best, most strikingly original fantasy I've read in a while. My spoiler-free review of the first book is here, in case anyone's interested, and my review of the second book was just published on Tor.com last week.

message 18: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

The first round of polls is up! Please go vote:

Fantasy: http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/67...

SF: http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/67...

The top two of each poll will move on to the run-off polls, which I'll set up on June 25th.

message 19: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)