Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Group Reads Archive > August Group Read Theme Suggestions?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Jun 16, 2012 11:53AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 4711 comments Mod
Did you guys have some ideas for our August group read theme? I am looking for themes not books. Thanks!

I'll post a poll by the 22nd of June.

List so far:

*Jungle/Desert Setting
*Cold setting
*Apocalyptic/Dystopian

message 2: by Seeley (new)

Seeley James (seeleyjames) | 367 comments James Rollins Bloodline Bloodline LP: A Sigma Force Novel. It's Sigma Force, so I can bet it will be good.

message 3: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (last edited Jun 14, 2012 02:18PM) (new)

Lisa P | 1965 comments Mod
Seeley wrote: "James Rollins Bloodline Bloodline LP: A Sigma Force Novel. It's Sigma Force, so I can bet it will be good."

I've got that one on pre-order...definitely on my to read list. I think Danielle is asking for just a theme nomination right now though, not an actual book yet :)

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 4711 comments Mod
Right you are, Lisa.

message 5: by Kevin (last edited Jun 15, 2012 01:06AM) (new)

Kevin (spiralcity) How about a jungle theme or something of that nature?
Perhaps the desert?

Something fitting for the summer heat.

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

That's a good one, Kevin!

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark | 1 comments I know you aren't looking for a book yet, but 'The Codex' by Douglas Preston is a great grimy, heat infused, jungle adventure.

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Jun 15, 2012 12:57PM) (new)

Keep that in mind if desert/jungle setting wins the poll, Mark. Thanks!

message 9: by Seeley (new)

Seeley James (seeleyjames) | 367 comments Kevin wrote: "How about a jungle theme or something of that nature?
Perhaps the desert?

Something fitting for the summer heat."

I live in the desert; looking at 112 tomorrow. Could we look at Antarctica?

But if you go with heat, Lee Child has one set in south Texas, hot dry and dusty.

message 10: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Lisa P | 1965 comments Mod
Ok, since I just finished a book like this and would like to read more...I am going to suggest Apocalyptic/Dystopian future.

message 11: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

I added cold setting and apocalyptic/dystopian to the list. Thanks!

message 12: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
Desert works for me. I've got one in mind if that works out. And Dystopian, that's cool.

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (spiralcity) Any of the themes listed work for me. I actually enjoy apocalyptic books. I just read Bryan Smith's "Darkened".

Not a bad book, just not great.

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (spiralcity) The poll?

Will it be up soon?

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Sorry. I completely blanked!

message 16: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Here is the theme poll.

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/67...

It closes on the 7th and we'll start our August group read selections shortly thereafter.

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (spiralcity) Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "Here is the theme poll.

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/67...

It closes on the 7th and we'll start our August group read selections short..."

That should read, Desert/Jungle... ;-)