Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Along Came a Duke (Rhymes With Love, #1)
This topic is about Along Came a Duke
Book Cover Help > Can someone switch covers for me

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Boyle | 6 comments This cover is for the large print edition, and comes up as the main cover for the mass market book. I would really appreciate it if someone could switch it to the mass market cover. Thanks.

message 2: by Amara (last edited Jun 14, 2012 12:01PM) (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) There is no way to manually change which edition/cover is the default. The default edition automatically becomes whichever edition is shelved the most.

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Boyle | 6 comments Yes, but if everyone is shelving the WRONG edition, then it is will never get straightened out. Is there any way on earth to fix this?

message 4: by Amara (last edited Jun 17, 2012 08:28PM) (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) People can shelve whichever edition they please. Different people shelve based on cover, ISBN/ASIN, format, etcetera.

And again, there is no way to manually change which edition is the default.

message 5: by Nenangs (new)

Nenangs | 469 comments @elizabeth, what I saw are:
large print cover:
Along Came A Duke (Rhymes with Love, #1) by Elizabeth Boyle

and mmp cover:
Along Came A Duke by Elizabeth Boyle

are these correct, or false (hence need to be switched)?

message 6: by Ash (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ash Ash (mash_ash) | 1 comments Hi changed the cover for you, the avon books edition

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Boyle | 6 comments Thank you so much! I knew there had to be a way to do it. Best wishes to you!

message 8: by Amara (last edited Jun 18, 2012 10:10AM) (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) You cannot switch two books' ISBNs and other data around. Again, people specifically shelved certain editions, and when you change books' data, you change their shelves. The switch has been reverted.

message 9: by Tntexas (new)

Tntexas | 404 comments Elizabeth wrote: "This cover is for the large print edition, and comes up as the main cover for the mass market book. I would really appreciate it if someone could switch it to the mass market cover. Thanks."

When I enter the book's title in the search bar, the result I get shows the cover of the large print version. It shows that cover because that particular edition is the one that has been shelved most often - for whatever reason. When I click on that link, it takes me to the entry for a hardback, large print edition of the book. Over on the right side, four other entries/editions for the book are shown. The first three have a picture, the fourth one does not. All three pictures are the same but different from the hardcover, large print one. The first book takes me to an entry for a paperback version printed by Avon books. The second and third ones take me to entries for the Kindle and regular ebook editions respectively. And the fourth one takes me an entry for an audiobook; it does not have any cover art.

I said all of that to say: that the cover you're questioning, does not appear on the entry for the paperback edition of the book. It only shows up as the cover for the large print edition. The cover for the paperback's entry is different and (I'm assuming) correct. So no, the large print cover art is not showing up as the cover for the mass market paperback book. Were you by any chance assuming that a search for a book's title automatically returns the paperback entry for a book? Is that why you think the large print cover art is being displayed for the mass market version?

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Boyle | 6 comments Quite frankly, I find Goodreads and how books are cataloged and shelved baffling--and I worked as a librarian.

So what was happening now, is not what I was questioning before--the problem being that the cover that came up on ANY search for the book was the Large Print edition. This has been a problem for this book since Day 1. It has had the wrong author attributed to it which took an act of Congress to change. Then the Large Print cover was the only cover/edition that was being shown. Now that has been fixed.

I must say as an author, former librarian, and former software employee, I find most of the fixes and accessibility for Goodreads baffling and for the most part counter-intuitive. I know I am not the only author who finds it this way, I just wish with all my heart it was easier to use and more friendly, because I really, really want to love this site.

But I do want to thank everyone who has stepped forward to help--you have all been most generous.

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42044 comments Mod
Elizabeth wrote: "the cover that came up on ANY search for the book was the Large Print edition"

Including searches by ISBN?

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Boyle | 6 comments It was the only cover that I could get to come up, even after the other covers were added--but I never search by ISBN. I find most readers don't even know what an ISBN is--and that's not to say they are uninformed, it is just if you aren't in the book business an ISBN is not how you identify books. Again, I think this is a usability issue. But I sincerely do not want to get into a debate on this, I just wanted the cover issue resolved.

message 13: by Tntexas (new)

Tntexas | 404 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Quite frankly, I find Goodreads and how books are cataloged and shelved baffling--and I worked as a librarian.

So what was happening now, is not what I was questioning before--the problem being that the cover that came up on ANY search for the book was the Large Print edition. This has been a problem for this book since Day 1. It has had the wrong author attributed to it which took an act of Congress to change. Then the Large Print cover was the only cover/edition that was being shown. Now that has been fixed."

Elizabeth wrote: "It was the only cover that I could get to come up, even after the other covers were added--but I never search by ISBN. I find most readers don't even know what an ISBN is--and that's not to say they are uninformed, it is just if you aren't in the book business an ISBN is not how you identify books."

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Boyle | 6 comments This is the problem! This Large print edition shouldn't be the default edition, the MM one should be, but because it was the only edition available for so long,(Again despite numerous attempts to fix this) people have logged the large print edition as the one they are reading even though I seriously doubt THAT many people are reading the large print edition. I am just so frustrated with this, because there should be a SIMPLE way to fix this and apparently there isn't, I give up.

message 15: by Tntexas (new)

Tntexas | 404 comments Elizabeth wrote: "This is the problem! This Large print edition shouldn't be the default edition, the MM one should be, but because it was the only edition available for so long,(Again despite numerous attempts to fix this) people have logged the large print edition as the one they are reading even though I seriously doubt THAT many people are reading the large print edition. I am just so frustrated with this, because there should be a SIMPLE way to fix this and apparently there isn't, I give up."

I thought that's the problem you were describing earlier. I agree that it would be nice if the author could choose which edition he/she wanted to be the default edition. I wish that were an option. But you're right; as things stand now, it isn't. At least the other editions are there now, and there is a chance that one of them will be the default edition for the book one day. Hopefully that day will be soon.