Food and Fiction. discussion

Fiction > Welcome to Rosie Hopkins Sweetshop of Dreams

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariakelly) | 92 comments Mod
I've just bought this book and I can't wait to read it. Have you read it yet?

message 2: by Dianne (new)

Dianne No but it dose look cute.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan No but now that I looked it up I want to! Lol

message 4: by Dianne (last edited Jun 14, 2012 11:59AM) (new)

Dianne I have this one but need to read it The Christmas Cookie Club The Christmas Cookie Club by Ann Pearlman
I found pictures of all of the recipes in the book.

message 5: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine Just put Rosie Hopkins Sweetshop of Dreams on my tbr list.

message 6: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine Now I may have to check out Dianne's book. hehehe

message 7: by Dianne (new)

Dianne I really need to read it too I keep buying books and then I don't read them I am going to have 2,000 unread books just like Susan if I keep doing this. It's easier to read on my kindle without my glasses

message 8: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine I know! I just keep collecting more and more books!

message 9: by Maria (new)

I do have a kindle but I like collecting books, so If I read one that I really enjoy I want to own it. Or if it's by an author who's other books I've got or books on a theme, like my foodie books, I want to own them too.

message 10: by Dianne (new)

Dianne This year I have mostly been reading kindle library books I want to spend my money this year on hardbound books that I have already read. I like owning my books to and I don't like giving them away.

message 11: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine Me, too. I read it on kindle, but I want it in hardback if I love the book.

message 12: by Maria (new)

So I've read 'Welcome to Rosie Hopkins Sweet Shop of Dreams', here is my review.
Well it's not deep or meaningful but who want's that all the time, not me certainly. A lovely indulgent read made even more so by the delicious descriptions of numerous different kinds of sweets, some of which even include recipes. I can see myself having try some out with my kids.
Rosie Hopkins lives in London with her boyfriend of 8 years and works as a nursing auxiliary. It's not until she has to move, temporarily, to deepest darkest Derbyshire to help her great aunt to sell her sweet shop and move her into an old peoples home that she realizes how dissatisfied she has been with her life. Although she initially feels like an outsider in the village she begins to realize that maybe life in London with a boyfriend who is never likely to pop the question is not all it's cracked up to be and she begins to fall in love with the countryside.
So, will Rosie manage to get her Aunts sweet shop up and running again? Will her Aunt ever agree to leave her lovely little cottage and move into a home? Who will capture Rosie's heart, the lovely village doctor, the hunk of an odd job man, or the tortured invalid who lives alone at Peak house. Will she stay or will she go back to her real life in London? And finally will Lady Lipton ever get Rosie to buy a decent coat? Well I'm not telling. You'll just have to read it yourself!
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.(less)