The Exorcist The Exorcist discussion

SCARY?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (new)

Eric KLEIN WHO READ THIS BOOK then saw the movie I thought the movie took too much out from the book

Mark Johnson What parts in particular? The original cut of the movie was apparently longer but Friedkin tightened it up for pacing. The latest Blu-ray has the extended cut.

Richard the book was solid and fun. the movie did very well - i think like The Shining the book and movie are two very seperate entities

worth a read though. The Amityville Horror is also a pretty solid old 70's horror novel as long as you don't fall for the whole "ohhhh it's true" gubbins

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

To be completely honest, I didn't find this book THAT scary. Most of it was just a normal story telling without any big interruptions. I liked the conversations between the 'devil' and the priest, but apart from that, it was just fine. A good book. Worth reading. But not the scariest thing I've come across...

Gerd Well, I saw the movie long before I read the book (scared me almost to death as a kid, the movie) so I can't rightly comment on how far they differ.

I did enjoy The Exorcist particularly because I don't know all that much about Christian myth or about the Catholic Church, and due to already having seen the movie the horror part of the book wasn't that much in the forefront for me.

Jackie I thought the book was very scary back in the early 70's before I had been exposed to such things as exorcisms. By the time I watched the movie it was mild compared to the book.

Tiffany I haven't read the book, but the movie was pretty scary and deep. Linda Blair the little girl in the movie, had nightmares, after she made this movie. She was only 11 or 12 years old.

message 8: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat This is an example of the movie that incorporated original book pretty well. Engoyed both.

message 9: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam The Exorcist is one of my favourite films and the book is fantastic. The adaptation is pretty good a think because both the novel and screenplay were written by the same person. I listened to an audiobook of William Peter Blatty reading the novel and, though not explicitly scary, it was quite intense at times.
I read a few months ago that both Blatty and William Friedkin are teaming up to adapt another of his novels, Dimiter. I don't think it can live up to The Exorcist as an adaptation but it'll still be worth checking out.
Blatty adapted two of his other novels, Legion and The Ninth Configuration, as a film director himself. They're both worth watching if you're interested in his work but the latter is far better than the former.
I haven't read any of his other novels, are they worth the time?

message 10: by Marc (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marc Horn I didn't find it scary, just excellent. The novel explains more than the film, for instance, where the priest asks the demon to open the drawer again. In the film the demon declines to and responds, I think, 'Too vulgar a display of power,' but in the novel it's clear that the demon does not as he will not take an order from the priest.
I watched an interesting discussion between the writer and director. Basically, the writer was unhappy with the ending, and felt that it gave the impression that the devil had won.