Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) Throne of Glass discussion

For those reading the novellas

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nathallya Hey guys.

I have a doubt.

If you are reading the novellas you all know who Sam is. But he isn't mentioned in the book Throne of Glass. At least not in the synopsis. And Celaena will probably have a new love interest.

So what do you guys think happened to Sam? There's a fourth novella yet to be released, so we will probably know what happens to him in this book. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that he is going to die. :(

Sarah Oh Nathallya! I just finished her last novella "The assassin and the Empire" (view spoiler)

Nathallya IKR!!

I just finished the last novella as well!! I knew something bad was going to happen, but still... =(
I didn't see it coming in a gruesome way. I was sad for him...

I haven't read ToG yet, but by the end of The Assassin and the Empire, Caelena wishes to discover who betrayed them and seek revenge. Do you think she will do it in the upcoming books? Or the author will leave it to another novella? Because I think those who haven't read the novellas will be quite lost...

Sarah No this is the last novella, ToG is next. I think those who haven't read them just won't get the full effect/background story that's all. Once ToG is out I'm sure lots of people will read them.
I thought something bad would happen too but I was hoping to be wrong! The way Sam's body was mutilated make me so mad! And to think it was (view spoiler) who did this! dam him, I hope Celaena will get him good.

Anne Does anyone else think that Celaena is callous? She comes straight out of the mines and the first thing she notices is Dorian's attractiveness. It makes her really superficial. And I was disappointed in TOG, it didn't feel like Caleana valued Sam. I couldn't like Dorian and Chaol at all and thought Sam was a much better LI who had a too-sad ending. And personally, if I spent a year in hell I would come out raving and thirsting for revenge and go after Arobynn whenever I get a chance, not gawking over dresses. I thought the year in the mines would have hardened her, make her go over what happened with Sam, but it seems Calena doesn't think about him enough.

message 6: by Nathallya (last edited Aug 11, 2012 06:53AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nathallya Anne wrote: "Does anyone else think that Celaena is callous? She comes straight out of the mines and the first thing she notices is Dorian's attractiveness. It makes her really superficial. And I was disappoint..."

I agree with you in some parts Anne. I also thought she was going to get revenge the moment she got out of the mines. I mean, she was furious when she discovered what happened to Sam. But maybe she will look for the traitor in book 2. She still has to tell her story (why she was sent to the mines in the first place and give more information about Arobynn and her life as an assassin) to someone. We almost didn't get any information from her past in the novel. If I hadn't read the novellas before I would have been quite lost. This was a publisher's mistake because the author wrote the novellas after book 1. Btw, I thought Celaena was much more mature in the last novella than in the book, which is strange.

And even having a soft spot for Chaol, I prefered Sam too.

Diane Nathallya wrote: "Anne wrote: "Does anyone else think that Celaena is callous? She comes straight out of the mines and the first thing she notices is Dorian's attractiveness. It makes her really superficial. And I w..."

Sam is noted in TOG, but with TOG being my first book, I appreciated it as a fresh start. Perhaps that is the pattern.

RIN ಠ_ಠ Anne wrote: "Does anyone else think that Celaena is callous? She comes straight out of the mines and the first thing she notices is Dorian's attractiveness. It makes her really superficial. And I was disappoint..."

My thoughts exactly.

I read the novellas (all 4) before I read the novel and I like the novel better. Though I'm disappointed that the novel didn't touch up on the betrayal much. Celaena barely brought it up.

All in all, I'm really not seeing how Celaena could be the 'top-assassin'... =/

Sarah That's why I have not read TOG yet, I enjoyed the novellas immensely and I'm afraid to get disappointed. Especially when I don't like "Love triangles". I want to give it a chance yet...at the same time...

Hitandmiss I think one of the most disappointing things about the Novellas and Book is that the so called legendary assassin doesn’t do much assassinating or fighting. The first novella shows straight away that she has a deep moral conviction to-do the right thing and struggles to murder just about anyone.
Assassins should be;
Clever, Quick Witted, Skilled, Brutal, Amoral, Stealthy, Strategy experts etc..

Celaena Sardothien shows none of these skills, she pretty much just blunders her way through the book and only makes it due to her training and fighting skills. She doesn’t plot or see though any of the traps set for her.

If you want to take an assassin and turn them into a Freedom fighter/hero look to Durzo Flint in The Way of Shadows. Really have them start off as Amoral Badass and then show that they have something to fight for. The Novellas would have been better if it showed her killing some people who were not evil and she started questioning what she was doing and then had her killing evil people. Clever hits with flashy twists would of really set up her char as a legendary assassin.

Calling her an assassin is just a weak way of giving her "Super Powers" for future books where she will Obviously start fighting for justice and forming a new nation.

I enjoyed the books and Novellas but she’s not an assassin.

♥ Alexia -Team Malec ♥ Have you actually READ throne of glass? It'll tell you.

message 12: by Esme (new) - rated it 5 stars

Esme when does the book after ToG come out?