The Prince of Tides The Prince of Tides discussion

PSYCHOLOGICAL EFFECTS OF ABUSE IN CHILDHOOD AND ADOLESCENCE

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ml (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ml Smith PRINCE OF TIDES BY PAT CONROY

A BRILLIANTLY UNDERSTATED ACCOUNT OF THE EFFECTS OF PHYSICAL AND EMOTIONAL ABUSE ON ADOLESCENT PERSONALITY DEVELOPMENT.

EMOTIONAL, COMPELLING AND HARD TO PUT DOWN.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

It is such a good book, I agree. Couldn't put it down either.

Its interesting how Tom, Luke and Savannah deal with the abuse in different ways. Savannah moves to NY, writes poetry and is occasionally on the edge to kill herself, while Tom swallows it all down and makes jokes, and Luke becomes a political fanatic and dies for his ideals.

Ml, mind your capslock. It's not comfortabe to read.

message 3: by Patty (last edited May 10, 2012 10:35AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Patty This is my all time favorite book. Pat Conroy is pure poetry, his sentence's make my heart yearn for another sentence but only after I have allowed the first sentence to fully resonate within.

Yes, this may be the most well written account of child abuse and children developing within that environment and what becomes of those children. I believe one could write a book about child abuse and its effects just from this novel.

I am so grateful that Pat Conroy was able to survive this environment and then to be able to have the skills and ability and the passion to write about this subject. The world is better for him having been here to share with the world his experiences and his craft of writing.

Elizabeth I'm giving your review five stars, Patty! How insightful!

Patty Elizabeth, thank you, that is very kind of you.

Annie Seaton Absolutely adored this book. I always list is as my favourite of all time. Brilliantly written, complex, passionate and beautifully crafted. I will always remember sobbing as I read those last lines. A book that evoked an emotional response.

Jeff Shelby An amazing book. Always go back to it.

Michael Pat Conroy is my favorite author, love how he is so descriptive with the characters. I thought the abuse was hard to read through, but it was such an interesting book.

Jonathan Clark Yes, this is a really moving and affecting book. I won't forget reading it, it really spoke to me. As a Psychology major I liked the psychotherapy aspect and how the characters try and deal with the hurt and havoc caused by a psychologically abnormal, abusive parent. The stain of poverty and wickedness of people is also plain to see and graphically portrayed. It has moments of great beauty and is in my opinion, an important book to read as a rite of passage into painful adulthood from disturbed childhood. It is brave and pulls no punches; I admire that.

message 10: by Lori (last edited Apr 07, 2013 04:41PM) (new)

Lori I am currently reading The Prince of Tides and really am enjoying it! Not only the plot and character development but the language is so beautiful. What a well written piece! Pat Conroy has me hooked and hungry for more. I know I want to read The Great Santini. I work with young children and I live a bit of a "normal life" so to read about these dysfunctional families is so interesting! This book sort of reminded me of The Glass Castle which I read last summer (2012). Great book!