Connecting Readers and Writers discussion

Writer's Station > Turning a short story into a play

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Everly (new)

Everly Anders | 207 comments Mod
I have been aproached to turn my short story The Seamstresses into a one act play. Has anyone else done anything like this before? I am looking for some advice. For example should I hire an playwright to adapt it or try to do it myself?

message 2: by John (new)

John Blackport | 22 comments I've done that, as a writing assignment. It's tougher than it seems at first glance. The theater can do some things that nothing else can do --- but there's a lot that can be done in a novel that simply will not work onstage.

I'd "do it yourself", then maybe have a playwright edit it carefully. You'll spend more time, and maybe not save much money . . . but if I recall correctly, you may need two eyes on it.

In a short story, it's possible that some nuance might be lost in the transition to the stage, that you want to hang onto. In that case, you and the playwright might discuss how best to restore that nuance.

Come to think of it, a director may be even better than a playwright. The story already has a creator (you), and the job at hand is converting the story to a new medium while keeping the creator's vision. Directors do this all the time.