Connecting Readers and Writers discussion

Reader's Station > What is your favorite subject matter?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Everly (new)

Everly Anders | 207 comments Mod
I am always curious to know if readers buy books that look interesting at the time, or if they have certain subject matters they look for. What do you do?

message 2: by Lynxie (new)

Lynxie | 95 comments I'm an open book *grins* I'll read just about anything if it piques my interest. One day it could be romance, the next sci-fi, the next historical fiction.

I don't have set 'things' I'm looking for, but the blurb to attract readers needs to be punchy.

message 3: by Judy (new)

Judy Olson | 7 comments I like a good cover, then a good blurb, and then just a good story. No vampires, not an erotica fan, but most everything else. I love finding little known authors in books from antique stores.

message 4: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) Horror, suspense/thriller usually grab my attention first but I will read almost anything other than romance or YA.

message 5: by Peter (new)

Peter Idone | 13 comments Usually, a book sort of jumps out at me when I'm walking around the bookshelves of a public library or a bookstore. It's a 'book chooses you sort of thing' and I'm rarely disappointed. Then there are authors I've heard about and read book descriptions of a novel that interests me so I'll invest the time. I do have a tendency of avoiding fantasy and romance. Not my genres.

chucklesthescot I go straight to the book shop sections that are called Dark Fantasy, Paranormal, Fantasy, Science Fiction and Horror. I'm mostly looking for UF and horror but I need to check all similar sections in case a book has been put in the wrong category.

Then I look for good covers and catchy titles. If I see a half naked vampire and the title Her Fanged Desire, I run a mile! But if I see a scary fanged face and the title Teeth, I'm more likely to pick it up. But it is the blurb that makes my final decision.