Richard III discussion

Welcome to the Richard III discussion group

Comments Showing 1-50 of 208 (208 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 1139 comments Mod
So glad to see we've gained a few new members from the original four of us who just wanted a place to discuss all things Richard.

As we go forward and grow, would members like to have a monthly read? Buddy reads? Individual book discussion threads? Suggestons always welcome.

message 2: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments I vote that we just talk about books. We can recommend, complain, suggest ways we would have done it better, or whatever enters our minds. This can be a sort of free-for-all place where we can vent (good-humouredly) to our complete satisfaction.

message 3: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Misfit - I finally got approved for membership in the Yahoo Richard III group. I feel so... so accepted.

message 4: by MAP (new)

MAP | 181 comments Ooh, I'm a member there too! I swear it's like everyone stopped talking the moment I joined.

message 5: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Did it take them forever to approve you? I have been waiting for days on end.

Maybe you and I should invent a dispute just to liven things up. I hope to have time tomorrow to go over there and poke around. See if I can pick a small fight or two. Heh!

message 6: by Misfit (new)

Congrats both of you. Wonder why they're so picky? Or maybe just not that active checking email requests for membership?

message 7: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments It's more flattering to assume the former. Heh!

message 8: by Pat (new)

Pat | 39 comments hmmmm...Well Ikon, I hope you and MAP don't get too uppity and leave us in a lurch here... J/K, congrats.

message 9: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Oh, I expect MAP and I will find it amusing to associate with you peasants, rather like Marie Antoinette playing milkmaid. You will remember to pull your forelock when we drop by?

message 10: by Pat (new)

Pat | 39 comments I hope you're happy, I had to look up forelock. Why would I want to pull my hair?

message 11: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments As a sign of respect. All the peasants did that in Richard's day. When one of their betters showed up, there was a regular orgy of self-inflicted hair tugging. I suspect it was to make sure the head was still firmly attached.

message 12: by Misfit (last edited Jan 13, 2009 08:04AM) (new)

Ikonopeiston wrote: "Oh, I expect MAP and I will find it amusing to associate with you peasants, rather like Marie Antoinette playing milkmaid. You will remember to pull your forelock when we drop by? "

Ikon, you are getting way too cocky now that you've "arrived".

PS, I had to look up forelock also. What would we do without the internet at our fingertips?

message 13: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Without the Internet, you would all quickly discover how stupid I really am.

message 14: by Barb (new)

Barb | 145 comments Ikon,
Congrats, very exciting!
:0)

message 15: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Thank you, Barb. I have not yet had the time to see if it is worthwhile. When I do, I shall report back.

message 16: by Misfit (new)

I see our little group is expanding, we've got some new members in the last week or so. Welcome to Susan, Jenn, Nicole and Éowyn.

message 17: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (jenn_reed) | 42 comments Hmmm...I doff my hennin for no one. ;-P

message 18: by Misfit (new)

Another new member today. Welcome darkpool.

message 19: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (jenn_reed) | 42 comments Curiosity drew me. My area of interest in the middle ages started off with the Yorkists, then my area of focus shifted to Valois Burgundy of the 1460-1470s. Was a member of the RIII Society and some of the lists. Lost interest when some of the really "bizarre" theories were being put forth...but that was in the late 1990s.

Thanks for the welcome. :)

message 20: by Misfit (new)

Good to see you surface Jenn. I want to read more about the Valois - have several Dumas sitting on the pile waiting for me when I'm in the mood to go back to France...

message 21: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (jenn_reed) | 42 comments I haven't done much with the group other than create it and collect titles...

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

message 22: by Misfit (new)

Interesting list Jenn. Here's a list on Dumas I found that includes the order of Dumas' series on Valois, starting with Le Reine Margot (which I have).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-books-b...

message 23: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 91 comments Hiya! Delighted to join the group, and a big thank you to Ikonopeiston for finding me and friending me a few weeks back, otherwise I'd probably not have realised this group was in existence for some time longer.

message 24: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Darkpool, I was on my way over to say 'Welcome' when Misfit got ahead of me. I am so glad to see you in the group. BTW: I am familiarly known as Ikon; it saves time and typing effort. ;)

message 25: by MAP (new)

MAP | 181 comments Welcome, Darkpool!

message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura Welcome Darkpol!!

message 27: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Jenna, we are so glad to count you amongst our number. Welcome!

message 28: by MAP (new)

MAP | 181 comments Wow, 18! Awesome awesome.

message 29: by Misfit (new)

I know, pretty soon we'll be so big we won't know what to do with ourselves. Welcome Jenna.

message 30: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments We'll think of something. I have confidence in us. We have grown quickly, I must say. ;)

message 31: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Lynn, it is so nice to see another Georgian in the group. We are glad to have you join us.

message 32: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (LindseyRawes) | 6 comments Hello fellow Richardians. I only recently found Goodreads and am thrilled to find a Richard III group.

message 33: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Welcome, Lindsey. We are happy you are here. I must warn you that there are one or two traditionalists in the group. We must try to convert them!

message 34: by Misfit (new)

Two new members, welcome Lindsey and I see Lynn has joined us as well.

message 36: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Laura, good catch. I am cross-posting this (and crediting you) under Web Links for Richard III. :)

message 37: by Pat (new)

Pat | 39 comments Thanks Laura, Great Find ! A person could spend weeks going through all this information.

message 38: by Gerald (new)

Gerald (Heraldo) I used to be a member of the Richard III Society, until I sent them a play concening his usurpation which I had written. I still think by-and-large that the man was slightly iffy about his approach to all things Royal; but I'm willing to be educated differently. Dead excited about finding another bunch of people interested in Richard III

message 39: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Welcome, Gerald. I assume from your choice of words that you are not a Ricardian. With luck, you will come to see the truth. We are glad you have you amongst us. ;)

message 40: by Misfit (new)

Hi Gerald, good to see you've joined our little group. Honest debates always welcome.

message 41: by Ikonopeiston (last edited Feb 07, 2009 07:47AM) (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Hello, Francine. We are so happy you have joined us. Poke around the various threads and add your own opinions and ideas. I hope you will enjoy this group. ;)

BTW: Does the red rose as your icon indicate you are of the Lancastrian persuasion?

message 42: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Sorry about maligning you. ;) I did not realize your location. You are doing fine and I have seen no errors. As you will note, this is a small group and much easier to navigate than some of the enormous, sprawling ones on Goodreads. In fact, you can follow all our rambling discussions without having to spend an inordinate amount of time. We do have a tendency to natter along aimlessly sometimes.

message 43: by Misfit (new)

Hi Francine, glad to see another aboard our little group.

message 44: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Greetings Bettie, welcome aboard. We are glad to have you as a member of our group. ;)

message 45: by Misfit (new)

Hi Bettie, glad to see you dropped by.

message 46: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Michele, welcome to the group. We hope you will enjoy the chattering and dive right in. ;)

message 47: by Misfit (new)

*waves*

Hi Michele, glad you joined us. Just think barely a month ago and there was only us four or five.

message 48: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Greetings to Alice. We are glad to have you with us. This is a small and friendly group which welcomes discussion on all things Richard. ;)

message 49: by Ikonopeiston (new)

Ikonopeiston (Ikon) | 385 comments Susanna, I offer you a particular welcome to the group. I used to live in Greenville and attended Furman University (after getting kicked out of Bob Jones U.) I hope you will find our group entertaining and informative.

message 50: by MAP (new)

MAP | 181 comments Hey, I lived for a while in NORTH Carolina! (It's still a Carolina...)

« previous 1 3 4 5