You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > July's Theme = classic science fiction - master list - and the winners!

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl is busier irl atm. (last edited Jun 14, 2012 08:32AM) (new)

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) The winner of the popularity contest is 'classic science fiction' - at least 25 of us decided we wanted to read at least one, maybe even 3 or 4 books, that fit this theme come July.

So now it's time for nominations. Remember, we do like one of our themed selections to be non-fiction. For this month, we might not find anything straight up non-fiction, so I'm up to considering a short-story collection that is annotated lots of 'history of sf' and biographies of the authors, etc.

I would also appreciate you to choose nominations with some care. Try to avoid works that are so rare they're not in libraries' inter-library loan systems. Please also be willing to help lead the discussion if one of the books you nominated does win.

For the first couple of days please limit your nominations to three per person. If we don't get enough suggestions, I'll open it up - but I don't want a huge list for the poll.

Also, we voted for *science* fiction, not fantasy. Please no sword&sorcery. Also, unfortunately, not much by Ray Bradbury would work - Martian Chronicles is mythic, not scientific, and Dandelion Wine isn't even that fantastical. (There is a buddy read for Martian Chronicles already; I'd love to chat with you there).

By 'classic' I'm thinking at least 50 years old or so.

Questions please PM me and I'll edit this post if need be. Thanks!

message 2: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (jillianh) | 3 comments - The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells
- The Time Machine by H.G. Wells
- The Minority Report by Philip K. Dick
- Solaris by Stanisław Lem

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Thanks Jillian!
Um, I asked for three from each member. Since I've recently read Time Machine I'm arbitrarily excluding that. So, your nominations are:
The Invisible Man
The Minority Report
Solaris

I've also read the Dick already, but I have to admit it would be good discussion fodder.

message 5: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments I'll nominate a couple of books:

Frankenstein
A Canticle for Leibowitz

message 6: by Alison (new)

Alison Forde | 269 comments Janice wrote: "I'll nominate a couple of books:

Frankenstein
A Canticle for Leibowitz"

Ooo A Canticle for Leibowitz looks good!

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) excellent, tx
I'll keep this open only a few more days, as I need to wrap up soon so we can vote and enable ILL users to get copies.

message 8: by jaxnsmom (new)

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Got 'em - tx!

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Finally got the poll up! It's open for a shorter time than usual, so please go vote asap! :)

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) The top four vote-getters are all fairly short books, so we'll read them all. Feel free to start reading the one(s) you choose now, and I'll open threads for discussion next week!

Flowers for Algernon 16 votes, 23.9%
A Canticle for Leibowitz 11 votes, 16.4%
The Invisible Man 10 votes, 14.9%
Frankenstein 9 votes, 13.4%

message 12: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Jun 25, 2012 12:52PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments What a great line up we have for July! I put in my request on ILL for A Canticle for Leibowitz. And I have Frankenstein on ebook. I'm set. Now, I just need a whole lot of available time.

message 13: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments I'm going to download Invisible Man, and have already read Frank so will join the discussion.

message 14: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments Come on Amanda! It will be great fun reading with your mom!!

By the way - Yesterday, I placed a request on ILL for Canticle. It's in already! One day! I'm wondering if my library had it afterall. When I went online to look, it said it had no copies.

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Libraries and online catalogs and ILL systems are.. interesting... :) Here in a tiny town in Wisconsin I'm collecting books from all over the state within 2-3 days of submitting online requests.

Anyway, you got it Suzie. So long as you read Frankenstein recently enough to remember it and contribute to the discussion, you get a badge. Discussion of the theme is the principal goal of the Group Themed Reads. :)

message 16: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48662 comments When I picked up the book, it was stamped with another (nearby) library's name, so it wasn't part of my library's inventory. I'm loving the library again.

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) I do wonder, Judy. Maybe you should attend a Friends of the Library meeting, or ask someone in the city council. Maybe they're having internal political issues, or a sudden budget crisis, or the loss of some good volunteers....

I've read Flowers for Algernon several times, but I'm looking forward to doing so again for this discussion, getting it fresh in my mind.

message 18: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (shiari) | 16 comments I've been wanting to read A Canticle for Leibowitz for a while now, so I've just ordered it and cannot wait to join in the discussion!

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Yay Sharon! :)