Editio Self-Publishing discussion

Day Gazing: Weird Shorts
This topic is about Day Gazing
Self-Publishing questions > Premium Status - Smashwords

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carla (new)

Carla Herrera (starving_artist) | 12 comments I just received a notice that Day Gazing did not make Premium Status and in the details it says it needs modification with no further instructions. I've looked through all the reader formats with the exception of imobi and found no screaming errors according to the distribution guide.

I'm probably being lazy, but I don't want to go through the nuclear method. I will if I have to, but if I can avoid it I will.

Any suggestions? And why doesn't Smashwords at least give some idea as to what is wrong? If they can detect something is wrong, can't they tell us?

message 2: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) Have you used Epubcheck?

IMO Smashwords is a great little site that can't deal with the sheer volume of material being uploaded through it - time will tell whether they can scale up the operation to provide a timely service.

message 3: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Buchanan | 8 comments Carla wrote: "I just received a notice that Day Gazing did not make Premium Status and in the details it says it needs modification with no further instructions. I've looked through all the reader formats with t..."

Carla, you may try contacting SW directly for help and ask them what errors need to be fixed. It may take a few days, but someone should reply back to you.

I agree that the nuclear method is not the best choice. Keep us posted on the results.

message 4: by Carla (new)

Carla Herrera (starving_artist) | 12 comments Andrew, I love SW, but it can be frustrating at times when the info is not available. I think I'm going to do as Belinda suggests and email for more info. Thanks to both of you. Epubcheck. I'm not exactly sure what that is. I don't have a mobile device to upload to besides my laptop.

message 5: by Damon (new)

Damon Marbut (damonferrellmarbut) | 7 comments My suggestion, regarding the nuclear method proposed by SW for authors formatting their manuscript, is to look at how Nook and Kindle require their formats. It's all pretty much the same thing. I found that with the nuclear method I grew nervous that much would be lost in the switch. Which turned out to happen. Best, in my opinion, for self-publishers to research multiple format requirements to get a broader sense of what's necessary. I did learn a good bit from the SW formatting guide, which led to my Nook formatting being simple, fast, and looks good. Hope this helps. Good luck and best wishes to all.

message 6: by Carla (new)

Carla Herrera (starving_artist) | 12 comments Thanks Damon. I just emailed them today to see if they can be more specific about the problem. With luck one thing can be fixed.

message 7: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) Epubcheck is an online app that will check your manuscript for serious formatting errors. I forget where to find it, but Google will turn it up pretty quickly and there are links to it in Smashword's various help pages.

message 8: by Carla (new)

Carla Herrera (starving_artist) | 12 comments thanks. Checking now.

message 9: by Carla (new)

Carla Herrera (starving_artist) | 12 comments Passed epubcheck. The reason I'm so hesitant to use the nuclear method is because I'm using Open Office. I don't have Microsoft Word. I don't know if it would help.

Thinking about putting an end to the frustration and just doing it.

Wish me luck.

message 10: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) I use Open Office too - I don't think there's any particular advantage to using Microsoft Word.

message 11: by Ken (new)

Ken Consaul | 150 comments What does epubcheck check? Is it strictly margins and such or do they delve into copy-editing. If that's the case, I'll avoid SW entirely. I have a lot of dialect in it that butchers the grammar books.

message 12: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) To the best of my knowledge it's a purely technical check. After all, people publish e-books in languages other than English.

message 13: by Ken (new)

Ken Consaul | 150 comments By dialect I wasn't thinking other languages. Think Mark Twain and Huck Finn. Maybe not that thick but regional dialect of those without book larnin'.

Would epubcheck flag bad grammar or intentional mis-spells?

message 14: by Carla (new)

Carla Herrera (starving_artist) | 12 comments I don't think it does that. I think it's all technical formatting. Has nothing to do with grammar.

message 15: by Carla (new)

Carla Herrera (starving_artist) | 12 comments I just found out it had nothing to do with the content. The cover for the book was 3-D, so I had to upload a different cover. Plus there were too many key words. Had to limit this to ten.

Thanks for helping everyone.

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan Carla wrote: "I don't think it does that. I think it's all technical formatting. Has nothing to do with grammar."

TRue - it's almost 100% formatting probs with cover or content. I have hicky southern speaking in mine and that didn't stop it from going thru.

message 17: by Mystie (new)

Mystie | 8 comments For Smashwords premium they only check for formatting inconsistencies.
I used Open office for one of my books without problems.
One of the tricks I found was to create a blank document with paragraphs already set up in the formatting I needed, and then just cut-paste into my template. This gave me the ability to create the paragraph structure I wanted without glitches popping in unseen.
Stuff their editor catches can sometimes be hidden away in the underlying format of the pages.
Create formats for chapter headings, normal paragraphs, quotes, etc.. as the need arises, and paste your stuff into those to clear hidden things out of your document.

message 18: by Trish (new)

Trish Dawson (trishmariedawson) | 6 comments Carla wrote: "I just received a notice that Day Gazing did not make Premium Status and in the details it says it needs modification with no further instructions. I've looked through all the reader formats with t..."

I was terrified of this happening with my book the first time I uploaded it to Smashwords so I DID do the nuclear method. It's really not that hard to do...and I don't know a ton about computers but I managed. I followed the guide, and tho it took almost two weeks, I did get it approved for Premium the first time around, which was nice. Now I have no idea what that means - it's not like my sales are out the roof or anyhthing yet, lol.

I know this post was awhile ago, but I think the nuclear method works well if you have used more than one program to write in, if you've changed alot of the formatting along the way, or the text...or don't know how to check for all the hidden things (I had NO idea how to do this when I first started). We're talking a few extra hours - as opposed to waiting DAYS to find out what SW says was wrong, and having to start all over again. ;)

message 19: by Carla (new)

Carla Herrera (starving_artist) | 12 comments Hi Trish. I posted a couple of weeks ago about the problem being resolved. It was the cover image and the tags they didn't like. Thanks.

message 20: by Trish (new)

Trish Dawson (trishmariedawson) | 6 comments I saw that later, after reading thru the posts. lol

message 21: by Mystie (new)

Mystie | 8 comments After getting premium status it can still take a month or more to start appearing on some of the other sites. What's more there is no marketing done to promote the books. If you want sales then you have to find a way to promote it into visibility.

message 22: by Trish (new)

Trish Dawson (trishmariedawson) | 6 comments I figured it was something like that - thanks Mystie! I am self-promoting, but make more sales on Amazon than Smashwords, that's for sure. Makes me wonder if I should do just Amazon for my next project...and still offer the book in print thru CreateSpace. Hmmm