Room Room discussion

Room

Comments Showing 1-50 of 88 (88 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies Is this book overhyped? Should I read it despite having a five year old and knowing how they talk??

Viktoriya Well, I don't have any children, so for me, a 5-year narrator/storyteller was something new :) On the overall, I liked this book. It was a little "simple" (but then, it's supposed to be). I think it offered a really interesting perspective of what a world would seem like if it's limited to only one tiny room. I felt that instead of being outside looking in and feeling sorry for whoever is being kept captive, I was actually IN that room and living my life, playing with whatever toys I have, not feeling sorry at all, not missing the "big" world.

Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies Viktoriya wrote: "Well, I don't have any children, so for me, a 5-year narrator/storyteller was something new :) On the overall, I liked this book. It was a little "simple" (but then, it's supposed to be). I think i..."

Thank you Viktoriya for your thoughts... I tried to read it last year but kept comparing the narrator to my daughter and I got frustrated. Must suspend judgement...must suspend judgment... Hehehehe

Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies Klein wrote: "I found the book frustrating to read because it never breaks from the narration of the five year old. I understand the function of it and that it's likely very realistic of how a child would percei..."

That's how I felt when I tried to read it the first time. Only got 60 pages in

Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies I will give it more of a chance to get used to it. Thank you Theresa.

Bethan I loved this book. Having a 5 year old narrater was interesting

Zora Didn't like it. Didn't believe plot events, didn't believe the narration, which swung from true to oddly sophisticated, kinda creeped out by breast-feeding a kid of that age.

Nancy Wood I couldn't put this book down; I loved it being told by the perspective of an innocent 5-year-old; a product of such horrible violence whose mother manages to shield him from so much of it.

message 9: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Zora,interesting comment but maybe judgmental,the mother is trying to keep Jack healthy in a limited environment with restricted access to healthy foods plus breastfeeding would have given comfort to both mother and Jack.

Doreen I liked the book and its narration by a five year old child. One thing I kept in mind while 'listening' to this child is that he hasn't had the experiences of a typical five year old boy.
He hasn't interacted with other children. He knows no one except for Ma and Old Nick. He has never attended preschool or had a play date. He doesn't know all the Transformers, Superheroes and Ninja Turtles by name. He has never gone swimming or to an amusement park or carnival. He has never known cousins AND grandparents AND aunts AND uncles. He has never watched 4th of July fireworks while running around a yard with a sparkler in his hands. The list of what has NOT influenced this child is endless.
Keeping in mind the absence of all this stimuli and experience is what kept me reading and enjoying the book.

message 11: by Ana (last edited Jul 07, 2012 08:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ana I think you should, it really surprised me how much a 5 year old can think ((well maybe I dont really know if its true giving the case that the author is not a 5 year old)) I loved the different way of how he thought, its so different from the rest of books I have read, though I would also would have liked a book in the moms point of view, that woudl have been a really deep and breath taking book, in my opinion.
I really think you should readit, And this is coming from a 12 year old.

message 12: by Olamide (last edited Jul 08, 2012 01:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Olamide I loved this book. I do agree that having it in a child's point of view really lowered the book's standards. And although I loved the story, I have to admit, I skimmed through the last few pages. It just got a little boring after a while since the p.o.v was so simplistic. But overall it was still a good book, with a very interesting story line, and I would recommend it.

Cisco I loved this book. You should read it!

Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies Cisco wrote: "I loved this book. You should read it!"

I will!

Lectus I did like this book. I just had a little trouble believing that a child who had never been outside would find his way out and get help. But, hey, it is a fictional story so... anything can happen.

Corinne I really enjoyed this book, but it took me two tries before I was able to read the entire thing. I felt the 1st 70 pages were difficult through due to boredom. I put the book down, once I picked it up again I couldn't put it down. Once I embraced the point of view of Jack I was captured by that little guy and wish we could find out more...I would love a sequel!

Abhishek Dafria It's a book that you either truly love or hate! For it is a experience altogether different, seeing things from a five year old's point of view, and mind you, a different kind of five year old. I feel that inspite of how you gonna feel after reading the book, it is a journey worth taking for it is different in so many ways.

Abhishek Dafria Corinne wrote: "I really enjoyed this book, but it took me two tries before I was able to read the entire thing. I felt the 1st 70 pages were difficult through due to boredom. I put the book down, once I picked it..."

Felt something similar. You stop at times and then give it a go again.. and slowly as the book flows, Jack's narration becomes easier to grasp.

message 19: by Gail (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gail I had mixed emotions at first while "listening" to this book. However, I have raised two children and I began putting myself in the Mother's shoes and thought would I have been able to "hold it" together and be that strong willed and creative to raise a child under those conditions? When they were free and she was criticized for how she had handle things - I thought "WOW" someone will always think you should have handle things differently. Overall I think this book took a very awful situation and presented it in a very creative way.

message 20: by Hoda (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hoda Marmar I really loved the book, and although i know all about 5 year olds, but I do not know what a locked up 5 years old thinks/feels/perceives. this is one of these books written intelligently, and I LOVED it!!!!

message 21: by Hoda (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hoda Marmar Lectus wrote: "I did like this book. I just had a little trouble believing that a child who had never been outside would find his way out and get help. But, hey, it is a fictional story so... anything can happen."

It is based on a true story. Google 'Josef Fritzl', he imprisoned his teenage daughter Elizabeth in a cellar in Austria, and made her have 7 children of him, one has died. Emma Donoghue was inspired by what happened with Elizabeth, and wrote it as a novel. Kerstin, her daughter fell terribly ill on April 2008, the father had to take her to the hospital, and that is how the family was saved after that incident. Emma took bits of the true events, and shaped them into a novel. Three kids were in the cellar with Elizabeth, and they had a TV and are now adapting to real life, to sun and air and rain, etc...

Lectus What? Really? Oh my goodness! I will definitely look it up! Thanks for the tip!

message 23: by Hoda (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hoda Marmar Lectus wrote: "What? Really? Oh my goodness! I will definitely look it up! Thanks for the tip!"

You're welcome. I know this because I read somewhere that this was her inspiration. It is a very disturbing story. Some TV reports about it are on youtube. These horrible things happen, and the truth is far worse than what was described in 'Room' , sadly.

Angelo Marcos I'm not sure if it was because I was familiar with all the news reports about Josef Fritzl before reading this, but I actually found the first third of this book incredibly uncomfortable to read.

I'm not the biggest fan of small spaces either (although, to be fair, who is?!), so it felt really claustrophobic for me - to the point where I nearly stopped reading it completely.

I’m glad I persevered though, because by the end of the book I really wanted to know more about the characters and where their stories would take them.

It's definitely a tough book to get into (if you'll excuse the pun...), but I thought it was well worth it.

Briana I loved this book and found the narration from the 5 year old as realistic and a great way of handling what could have been a depressing book from an adults point of view, it gave the book an almost hopeful and happy feeling through parts that were quite dark. My issue was I found myself really disliking the mother towards the end for the way she handled her son not adjusting to the "real" world as fast and openly as she would have liked, I found myself screaming at her to stop being selfish and see things from his point of view

Hayley Linfield I absolutely loved this book, and having had two little boys who were both recently five years old, her narration in that point of view was spot on in my opinion. Loved loved loved it.

message 27: by Ana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ana I am happy you did, I loved it too:)

message 28: by Ana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ana I actually own it!

Lorrie Those of you who loved this book should read "My Abandonment" by Peter Rock. It is also told from a youngster's perspective and is based on a true story, but the youngster is an adolescent girl and she is not abused but living in a park. It's superb!!

Erika I tried to read it and had a hard time with the narration. But, I found it on CD and listened to it on my way to and from work and found it to be much easier to relate to the 5 year old from that perspective. Hearing it was easier than reading it. Plus they had a different reader for the Mom and Old Nick.

Lorrie You're welcome. I hope you like it!

Diane Lorrie wrote: "You're welcome. I hope you like it!"

Thanks Lorrie, I added My Abandonment to my "to read" list, sounds good.

Lorrie Diane, it's fabulous!!

Diane I'm excited, I might see if the library has it or order it from Amazon. Amazon has great prices on used books.

Lorrie I borrowed mine from the library. I loved the book so much that I wished I had bought it. My friends have all read it now and they liked it too. Let me know what you think when you're done, ok?

Diane I will. I am reading a really good book now called Sworn to Silence. Gosh, I have found so many good books since I joined Goodreads, I love it.

Lorrie I love GR too. I'm reading Kristin Ladranstatter right now, the trilogy. It's hard to put down. I like that I can now remember the names of the books I've read and want to still read. Can even make notes about the ones I want to remember. So neat!! Enjoy!

Diane I agree, I love Goodreads.

Godiva3 I loved this book so much! I couldn't put it down, i was so anxious to see where and how it ended. It was very sad, but overall one of the best books i've read.

Briana goodreads has a lot to answer for in the way of damages to my bank balance lol

Diane I go to the library or buy books used from Amazon.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I had no trouble getting into this at all. It was very poignant, especially as seen from a 5 year old's perspective, who has never experienced the outside world and all his life is revolved around this room which has different sections. I felt very heartsore for the little boy, as when he got out it was completely and utterly new to him, after all his whole life was lived in one small room, so it was harder for him to adjust, whereas his mother had not been captive all her life. I think visiting the "room" was cathartic, especially for the mother.

Cisco Marie wrote: "I had no trouble getting into this at all. It was very poignant, especially as seen from a 5 year old's perspective, who has never experienced the outside world and all his life is revolved around ..."

Marie, I agree with your comment above. This book is captivating.

Stacey Briana wrote: "goodreads has a lot to answer for in the way of damages to my bank balance lol"

I hear ya!

Stacey I loved this book. It has stayed with me for days. I had a bit of a hard time getting into the rhythm of reading from a 5 year old's perspective but once I got going I couldn't stop.

Hayley Linfield I think it's interesting that people would argue the five year old's point of view is simplistic. I think the brilliance of this book is the fact that she was able to convey with such simple, five-year-old language, an extremely complex range of emotions. Children aren't simplistic at all. They experience things as deeply as anyone else, yet they must deal with it using the immaturity and innocence that their minds possess. That's the opposite of simplistic in my opinion.

(Alice) Aley Martin what is brilliant about this book is that someone had a new idea on how to write it so it is not another boring metafiction book.

Tricia Drammeh This book was one that I was forced to read for Book Club. I didn't want to read it at all, and it was my intention to skim it, but I was hooked from the first page. It was one of the best books I've read. I read it nearly a year ago and think about it often.

Gayle Hayley wrote: "I think it's interesting that people would argue the five year old's point of view is simplistic. I think the brilliance of this book is the fact that she was able to convey with such simple, five..."
I agree fully, Hayley. I found the book stunning, fascinating, horrifying and also hopeful in that the five-year-old and his terribly abused mother could still rejoice in and be sustained with the bond of love they developed. A great book that I couldn't put down until it was finished. I'd love to re-read it in a couple of years. I've also recommended it to many people.

Ahmad Qassab Bashi I think this book is a-must-read book I really like it

« previous 1