Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) Clockwork Prince discussion

Jem's opium box...

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Stephanie So I've been reading CoLS and the box that Clary's mother had kept with "Sebastian"'s stuff in it keeps coming up. I just noticed this but the initials on the box are JC....Johnathon Christopher to people in the Mortal Instruments. But could it be the one James Carstairs (i think I'm spelling that wrong)kept his opium in? Any ideas??

Alexandra Well, it's not opium. It's yin fen - a warlock or demon powder, I'm not sure which. But yes, that is a viable idea. I had a similar idea about what had happened to his box - it could be the one that Stephen Herondale left for Jace...it has a Chinese design on it, if I remember correctly. I'll bet that one of those two boxes is it.

Reepa Thats very interesting, I love how all these heirlooms are all related to the characters from both series... My favourite part so far has to be when Clary read Will's dedication in CoLS, "with hope at last William Herondale"...

Areefa there was also Stephens dagger with the initial S.W.H for Stephen William Herondale

Areefa although what Stephanie said does make sence with jem and Jonathan being J.C i just dont underrstand how jocelyn would have gotten it cuz it's not like jem was close to a fairchild to give it to them, however if it is in TMI then it is probably the box that jace got as jem might have given it to Will

Stephanie Alexandra wrote: "Well, it's not opium. It's yin fen - a warlock or demon powder, I'm not sure which. But yes, that is a viable idea. I had a similar idea about what had happened to his box - it could be the one tha..."

I thought that was just what they called it in China....because at this time in history Britain had China hooked on opium trade so it just seemed logical....but I believe when Will goes to get high and forget about Tessa, they call where he goes an opium den.
Oh that's right, Jace has a box too! I'd forgotten about that.

Alexandra Stephanie wrote: "Alexandra wrote: "Well, it's not opium. It's yin fen - a warlock or demon powder, I'm not sure which. But yes, that is a viable idea. I had a similar idea about what had happened to his box - it co..."

Ifrit den, but yeah, same idea.

Jace's box has a bird pattern or something...anyone remember what's on Jem's? I tried to find out in Clockwork Prince, but didn't see anything specific about the design. For those of you who own Clockwork Angel, maybe it mentions the design when Jem shows Tessa the box...?

GinAndCats I WAS THINKING THAT TOO!! :D

Katie Jem's yin fen box has the Chinese Goddess of healing on it. Her name is like Kwan Yin, or somthing like that.

Rosa Lina (THAT girl) Areefa wrote: "although what Stephanie said does make sence with jem and Jonathan being J.C i just dont underrstand how jocelyn would have gotten it cuz it's not like jem was close to a fairchild to give it to th..."

Charlotte's maiden name was Fairchild, wasn't it? I think, at least

message 11: by Maya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maya Alexandra wrote: "Well, it's not opium. It's yin fen - a warlock or demon powder, I'm not sure which. But yes, that is a viable idea. I had a similar idea about what had happened to his box - it could be the one tha..."

That part in the bok nearly killed me.I knew that Cassandra Clare would add stuff here and there in about Will because of Malec but I didnt expect that.
But since it was in the apartment and the fact that Clary sort of made the apartment disappear....... i guess we wont see it again ?? :(

Areefa Abby wrote: "Areefa wrote: "although what Stephanie said does make sence with jem and Jonathan being J.C i just dont underrstand how jocelyn would have gotten it cuz it's not like jem was close to a fairchild t..."

it was but now its Charlotte Branwell

message 13: by ♥ Alexia -Team Malec ♥ (last edited Jun 16, 2012 07:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

♥ Alexia -Team Malec ♥ Wow, i never thought of that! but i doubt it. They have very different descriptions.
and i thought Magnus had the box-It was in the extra, City of Bones: Magnus's Vow

Julianna I think it's the box Jace got, not Jocelyn's. Jem hated being dependent on the yin fen, so I doubt he would have the box he kept it in engraved with his initials. It's more likely that it was a Herondale heirloom.
p.s. in CoLS when they go out dancing in Prague (I think) is that yin fen that they're exposed to?

Alexandra I don't think that was yin fen...just some other warlock powder

Stephanie Julianna wrote: "I think it's the box Jace got, not Jocelyn's. Jem hated being dependent on the yin fen, so I doubt he would have the box he kept it in engraved with his initials. It's more likely that it was a Her..."

That does make sense...but if he dies like everybody guesses, somebody may keep it. Maybe Charlotte? And she was a fairchild as her maiden name. That could be a clue.
The drug at the club was described as glittery/silvery, so I thought of Jem's drug as well. But it was liquid wasn't it? Perhaps a new form of the drug that the faeries made? it was faerie drugs..

Julianna Clary was completely delusional that night, so we can't be sure exactly what it was. But I think Jem's box would go to Will since they were Parabatai.

Skyward Areefa wrote: "although what Stephanie said does make sence with jem and Jonathan being J.C i just dont underrstand how jocelyn would have gotten it cuz it's not like jem was close to a fairchild to give it to th..."

Sorry its been a while back since you posted this but I have to point out that he was close to Charlotte.

message 19: by Lily (new)

Lily Yes! He was close to a Fairchild that could have left the box to Jocelyn as Charlotte Branwells maiden name is Fairchild!!