Chaos Reading discussion

Super random happy fun time > Civilization 3991AD

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Ruby  Tombstone Lives! (rubytombstone) | 3260 comments Mod
Has anyone else read this blog post by the guy who has been playing the game Civilization II for 10 straight years? Amazing.

Headline results are as follows.
1) The world is a hellish nightmare of suffering and devastation.
2) There are 3 remaining super nations in the year 3991 A.D, each competing for the scant resources left on the planet after dozens of nuclear wars have rendered vast swaths of the world uninhabitable wastelands.

For the hilarious but scary details, (including nuclear Vikings perpetuating a 1700 year war, the polar ice caps melting 20+ times and the death of democracy) see the whole post here: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/commen...

I used to play this for days at a time back in the day. I wish I hadn't stopped now!

[Apologies for cross-posting. I also posted this in the Apocalypse Whenever group. It IS kinda their thing though!]

message 2: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Ruby  Tombstone Lives! (rubytombstone) | 3260 comments Mod
If you read the article, he says he has had it running that long but not playing it so much lately. What makes you think he's lost touch with reality?

message 3: by Derek (new)

Derek (derek_broughton) | 782 comments Ruby wrote: "If you read the article, he says he has had it running that long but not playing it so much lately. What makes you think he's lost touch with reality?"

Indeed. I used to play RPGs: once a week at most, and not always the same one then, but we certainly had games that ran years. otoh, when I played shorter RPGs, I probably lost touch with reality: I certainly lost touch with my university education!

message 4: by ChrisP (new)

ChrisP Poyner I would be scared to add up the amount of days(weeks)lost to Civ 3 and 4. I've never had the drive to keep the same game going that long, usuallly when tanks get involved the game loses some of my interest and I either make a play to finish the game or start over.