Shoujo Manga Book Club discussion

Manga > Favorite Manga Genre

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This may be a shoujo manga group, but that doesn't mean that we don't like other genres of manga. What other genres do you like? Some ideas are comedy, romance, fantasy, realistic, action/adventure, sci-fi, shounen-ai/shoujo-ai, and of course the equivalent to shoujo, shounen.

Personally, I'm really into romance, realistic, fantasy, and shounen-ai/shoujo-ai. I think comedy would be my least favorite because it tends to be really over the top. I also save action for anime. I think anime portrays action better than manga.

message 2: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments I read anything manga, I dont think there isnt a genre I havent touched, maybe one or two! I love them all :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm trying out many different genres to see which ones I prefer.

message 4: by Cindy III (last edited Jun 14, 2012 10:53PM) (new)

Cindy III | 192 comments The main genre I read is shonen and second is shojo. I like a little of each genre. I haven't read anything too scary that might fall under horror. For shonen I've read a bit of action/adventure, fantasy, sports, supernatural. For shojo I've read romance mainly. I like my romance to be between sweet and a bit of drama.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been trying to read more shounen. I actually just finished Bleach Volume 1 and 20th Century Boys Volume 1. They were both pretty good, but I think 20th Century Boys was better.

message 6: by Cindy III (new)

Cindy III | 192 comments I have not read 20th Century Boys, but I have read Bleach.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I recommend 20th Century Boys. I had always avoided it, thinking it wouldn't be my taste, but I'm glad I decided to read it anyway.

message 8: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Hmmm I dont think I have tried historical fiction, except once I tried History's greatest disciple! I dont think that counts lol

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Stargirl1234 wrote: "Historical Fiction. Highly reccomend Red River"

I didn't think of historical fiction. I think Fushigi Yugi would count under historical fiction, but also under fantasy.

message 10: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (juvia_winter) | 195 comments I have been mainly reading romantic and fantasy. But I am not against reading some from another genre.

message 11: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I think my favorite genres would be slice of life and romance. I've been reading those genres almost exclusively for a while now :3 I think I just really like reading about Japanese school life. It's so different!

message 12: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Slice of Life is a lovely genre, but a lot of Asian countries are like that so its not that different to me

message 13: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments Harshini WatchMeRead wrote: "Slice of Life is a lovely genre, but a lot of Asian countries are like that so its not that different to me"

I suppose that's true :) But I live in the US, so everything is new to me!

message 14: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Yea you guys have such a different style! And schools are pretty different!

message 15: by Aurora (new)

Aurora I like all genres but mostly romance,slice of life,historical,drama and fantasy but it's really hard to list them. I wouldn't mind reading all of the genres!

message 16: by Nekokit (new)

Nekokit | 747 comments I don't really mind any genre, I base it on how good the manga is and if I like it or not.
But I mostly read slice of life.

message 17: by harshini (new)

harshini  (watchmeread) | 451 comments Yeah I need to try a new genre, never know what I might end up liking

message 18: by Karin (new)

Karin B. Kiessling (yousei_chan) | 6 comments I read almost everything but my favorites are Comedy and Romance

message 19: by Mike (new)

Mike | 389 comments I'll try just about anything except pure horror but slice-of-life and mysteries top my list.

message 20: by Sinai C. (new)

Sinai C.  (sinaic) | 25 comments Mmmm...I think my favorite would have to be adventure then...like, the fight scenes and brotherhood and all that jazz--that makes for some heart-warming reading. I mean, I love romance, but I like it in a fantasy setting a little more than slice-of-life. I don't mind slice of life though, just gets me a little more jealous I can't have the main guy then X)

°☆.。.:*・Arianna°☆.。.:*・ (weresvsvamps) | 16 comments I like romance with some action in the mix like Beast Master and Vampire Knight.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Slice of life, romance, and school life

message 23: by Flareen (new)

Flareen | 81 comments I like a good balance between fantasy, romance and comedy though I appreciate other genres as well. Slice of life for instance. :3
It doesn't always have to include all of the three above either - but most of my favourite series have those.

message 24: by Mary (new)

Mary (leafmary) | 48 comments I like manga like FUshigi Yuugi. Historical Romantic Fantasy, I think? I love action/adventure (Naruto) but if it has Romance there's no way Im saying no. Hahaha the anime for Esaflowne was something I really enjoyed.

message 25: by Anna (new)

Anna Ortiz (kameko4real) As much as I like horror and shounen anime, I'm a sucker for shoujo manga. It's my weakness when it comes to manga. Especially when the art is extremely good. HNNNNG..

message 26: by Lena♫ (new)

Lena♫ | 148 comments For me, I'm really into action, romance, comedy, fantasy, gender blender, slice-of-life, etc. I'm more of a shojo beat reader myself than a shonen jump.

message 27: by Ash (new)

Ash | 42 comments Shounen, b/c I REALLY like swords & fight scenes, slice-of-life, horror(even though the first time I read the Higurashi volumes they gave me nightmares, no joke), shoujo(trying to read more of this genre), some romance(but not sappy), action, mystery(like Death Note & Higurashi), a little comedy, supeenatural or characters w/supernatural abilities(Kekkaishi, Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach, Soul Eater), dystopian(Ghost in the Shell, Akira)

message 28: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments It makes me happy to see so many people who like slice-of-life: it my favorite genre!

Wow, Ash! You have really broad tastes. Personally, I can't really read horror: it's too spooky for me! I get freaked out pretty easily by horror stories and movies and whatnot. If you're looking to get more into shoujo, perhaps you should try some magical girl series. They'll have the action that you like, along with the more typical shoujo style stuff.

message 29: by Ash (new)

Ash | 42 comments Kristen wrote: "It makes me happy to see so many people who like slice-of-life: it my favorite genre!

Wow, Ash! You have really broad tastes. Personally, I can't really read horror: it's too spooky for me! I get ..."

Reading has been a huge hobby of mine since I was little, & I have an addictive type personality anyway b/c when I find something I like, I get ALL in to it. Oh, & the first horror I read(Higurashi, I had nightmares for a week, it FREAKED me out!

message 30: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I've read Higurashi and it kinda freaked me out, too.