SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Archive: Past Team Challenges > R5: Team #12 ~ The Dirty Dozen {1st Place}

Comments Showing 1-50 of 488 (488 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

message 1: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (last edited Jun 16, 2012 03:36PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28253 comments Team #12
Captain: Valerie

Members:
Judithe
Valerie (9)
Karen F
Tania
Susan

message 2: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28253 comments Virtual BINGO Card
Shelf names listed are to be filled in top to bottom under each letter listed

B
1. *New2You: series
2. paranormal-romance
3. *Reader's Choice
4. male-lead
5. *Favorite Supe
I
6. dark-fantasy
7. vampires
8. urban-fantasy
9. young-adult-paranormal
10. paranormal-fantasy
N
11. *Series Catch-Up
12. demons
N#. FREE SPACE
13. psychic
14. angels
G
15. 2011
16. ghosts
17. shifters
18. favorite-series
19. new-series
O
20. dragons
21. *New2You: author
22. magic
23. kick-ass-heroine
24. sci-fi-romance

message 3: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (last edited Sep 05, 2012 12:04AM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28253 comments Link to print your own copy: BINGO card

SOS book shelf bingo card

message 4: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (last edited Sep 05, 2012 12:30AM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28253 comments R5 Winners

message 5: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28253 comments ...

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 247 comments YIPPEE!! I've never played before, but I'm excited to start this.

I'll be driving today from north Alabama to Louisiana, so I won't be able to check back in until later this evening or tonight. I'm looking forward to meeting ya'll :)

message 7: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (last edited Jun 15, 2012 05:28AM) (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments Hi all! Thrilled to be playing with you!

This is my 5th round of Bingo (quite addictive! And been doing Banish Bingo Blues challenge to tide my over to BSB R5!) Ummm...what else to say? I'm a mod here at SOS, so you'll see me poking my nose in all over the place (well, I'd probably do that anyway 'cause I love it around here). I'm located in Japan, addicted to reading...and that's the end of my ramble!

message 8: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28253 comments Yay, Susan! I'm so glad you decided to join us. I know you'll have a great time. Safe travels on your road trip!

Hi, Judithe! :D

message 9: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (versusthesiren) | 245 comments Hey, everyone! :D This is my second time playing - so excited! :)

message 10: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (last edited Jun 15, 2012 07:44AM) (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments *waves* Hi Valerie! Hey, Susan, have you safely/sanely reached Louisiana?

Friendly first assignment as we pace through the shelf-announcement wait~we need to select a captain and come up with a name! Any ideas?

*The Dirty Dozen (Yeah, yeah...I know...spouse channel surfed by it(well, with a bit of a finger break at that one) today?yesterday?~far too recently)
*Doozy/Dazzling/Dazed/Dancing Dozen (pick an adjective starting with "d")

BRB...hopefully! Darling daughter decided to make some fries...first time frying things so I've got to go supervise. If I don't make it back, call the fire department!

ETA: Mission safely accomplished!

message 11: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (versusthesiren) | 245 comments Haha, I like The Dirty Dozen!

message 12: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments Other 12 related things...
(Courtesy of Wikipedia)

#The atomic number of magnesium in the periodic table.

# The human body has twelve cranial nerves.

# Force 12 on the Beaufort wind force scale corresponds to the maximum wind speed of a hurricane. Since my residence-country has entered typhoon season, as well as rainy season, I like the possibilities of this...

#The 12th moon of Jupiter is Lysithea.

#Twelve Days of Christmas
#Twelve Labors of Hercules
#Most calendar systems have twelve months in a year.
#The Western zodiac has twelve signs, as does the Chinese zodiac.
#The Chinese use a 12 year cycle for time-reckoning called Earthly Branches.

#Movies with the number twelve or its variations in their titles include

12 Angry Men (1957 and 1997)
Cheaper by the Dozen
Ocean's Twelve
12 Monkeys
The Dirty Dozen
12 Rounds
Twelve
#Theatre

Twelfth Night is a comedy by William Shakespeare
Twelve Angry Men, by Reginald Rose
#King Arthur's round table had 12 knights plus King Arthur himself.

message 13: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (versusthesiren) | 245 comments Hmmm... I like the possibilities of Force 12, too. Lots of good choices to think about!

message 14: by Susan (susayq ~) (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 247 comments Hi ladies! Thanks for the safe travel wishes. We're at a mid-trip bathroom break. Is been safe, and sane, so far. I've got 4 of my children with me and my 2 grandchildren....so I may not be sane when this is over. Either that, or I'll come home with one less child (and I already know which one I'll get rid of LOL)

I like the Dirty Dozen for a name!

I'll check in again at either the next bathroom break or when I get there :)

message 15: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments LOL! Susan, hope you (and that one "child", especially!) survive!

message 16: by Tania (new)

Tania Rock (guilegirl) | 142 comments Hi team!

Can't wait to get started. Half way through my current book, so trying to cram before Sunday!
Hope everyone has a great night, safe travels and looking forward to working with everyone...

message 17: by Tania (new)

Tania Rock (guilegirl) | 142 comments Hi Judithe!

Your work is awesome. I love the dirty dozen.

message 18: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23494 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "Hi ladies! Thanks for the safe travel wishes. We're at a mid-trip bathroom break. Is been safe, and sane, so far. I've got 4 of my children with me and my 2 grandchildren....so I may not be sane wh..."

Hilarious Susan!!!!!

message 19: by Susan (susayq ~) (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 247 comments I made it here! Everyone in the car is still alive...for the moment ;) now I'm thinking my mom's 3 dogs may not make it LOL

message 20: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments LOL...maybe we should try and incorporate something with "-icide" in it for our name...my spouse frequently skates along that line as well...

Hmmm...we're still waiting for Karen F. to check in...

Japan time is Saturday 1:20...start is VERY CLOSE.

Also...who wants to be captain? I can, but am verrryyyyy happy to let someone else have the honor as well!

message 21: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (versusthesiren) | 245 comments I wouldn't mind being captain, but we'll see what Karen F. says when she checks in. :) I have a ton of books on deck, but don't want to start any until the first shelf's announced, haha.

message 22: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments Yay!!! (And whew!) Thanks for your offer, Valerie!

I sent a PM to Karen F., and hopefully she's survived her week, and happily heading into the weekend and free time!

message 23: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (last edited Jun 16, 2012 04:07AM) (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments Also, I'm getting shelf-antsy so decided to get my Free Space read decided.

Here's a link to the Free Space Rules for anyone else who wants to do something (and there's probably a party going on in the discussion thread now, or soon) until the first shelf announcement.

(It keeps giving me a "page does not exist" when I try to add the discussion for Free Space Rules ~located in the Team Challenge Folder~ into the link. So, that link goes to the memo Steph posted on the discussion thread for BSB R5)

message 24: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 540 comments Hi Everyone!

Sorry I'm a bit late checking in. I'm on vacation this upcoming week (yay!) but that meant yesterday was crazy at work with trying to wrap everything up and then there was awful Friday night traffic. So I just kind of fell on the couch when I got home.

But don't fear, that's not typical for me. This is my fourth time playing I think. Last round it came down to the wire and my team was hours away from winning. It was so much fun and as always I both whittled down Mt. TBR and ended up adding to it.

Let's see, I'm on board with The Dirty Dozen (hee) and with Valerie being captain.

I'm off to go figure out my Free Space read in advance and am anxiously waiting the first shelf announcement!

message 25: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments Howdy, Karen!! Hooray for surviving to vacation! Hope it's a very good one for you!

message 26: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 540 comments Thanks Judithe! It's my favorite kind of vacation, no big plans, just a couple of day trips, puttering with the container gardens on my deck and, of course, enjoying the late spring/early summer weather sitting outside reading. :)

message 27: by Susan (susayq ~) (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 247 comments Morning! I'm fine with Valerie being captain. Thanks for offering :)

I've got my free space read picked out already LOL

Karen, enjoy your vacation!

message 28: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (versusthesiren) | 245 comments Welcome aboard, Karen! Enjoy your vacation! :D

message 29: by Tania (new)

Tania Rock (guilegirl) | 142 comments Hi Karen, hoping you have a wonderful vacation!

Thanks for captaining Valerie, that's awesome.

Forgot to mention, this is my fourth round of bingo and I enjoy it so much. (It also forces my family to support more reading;))

Hope everyone has a wonderful Saturday and can't wait for our first shelf notice!

message 30: by Valerie (last edited Sep 03, 2012 03:53AM) (new)

Valerie (versusthesiren) | 245 comments BINGO R5: The Dirty Dozen
Master List

Shelf: Free Space
stamp received 7/5/12
link

By a Thread (Elemental Assassin, #6) by Jennifer Estep Grave Witch (Alex Craft, #1) by Kalayna Price Branded by Fire (Psy-Changeling, #6) by Nalini Singh Everneath (Everneath, #1) by Brodi Ashton Cape Storm (Weather Warden, #8) by Rachel Caine

Shelf #1: 6/17 ~ young-adult-paranormal (I9)
stamp received 6/24/12
link

Fragile Eternity (Wicked Lovely, #3) by Melissa Marr Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1) by Melissa Marr Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2) by Rachel Hawkins Enchanted by Alethea Kontis

Shelf #2: 6/24 ~ favorite-series (G18)
stamp received 6/30/12
link

Light My Fire by Katie MacAlister Oracle's Moon (Elder Races, #4) by Thea Harrison Blaze of Memory (Psy-Changeling, #7) by Nalini Singh Spell Bound (Hex Hall, #3) by Rachel Hawkins Ballad A Gathering of Faerie (Books of Faerie, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater

Shelf #3: 7/1 ~ personal: *new2you: series (B1)
stamp received 7/10/12
link

Lord of the Vampires (Royal House of Shadows #1) by Gena Showalter Flat-Out Sexy (Fast Track, #1) by Erin McCarthy The Gamble (Colorado Mountain, #1) by Kristen Ashley A Blood Seduction (Vamp City, #1) by Pamela Palmer The Killing Moon (Dreamblood, #1) by N.K. Jemisin

Shelf #4: 7/8 ~ shifters (G17)
stamp received 7/15/12
link

Once Burned (Night Prince, #1) by Jeaniene Frost Lothaire (Immortals After Dark, #12) by Kresley Cole Call of the Highland Moon (The MacInnes Werewolves Trilogy, #1) by Kendra Leigh Castle Tempting the Beast (Breeds #1) by Lora Leigh Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins

Shelf #5: 7/15 ~ ghosts (G16)
stamp received 7/23/12
link

Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts, #5) by Stacia Kane The Darkest Seduction (Lords of the Underworld, #9) by Gena Showalter Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost Die for Me (Revenants, #1) by Amy Plum The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley

Shelf #6: 7/22 ~ demons (N12)
stamp received 8/3/12
link

The Darkest Seduction (Lords of the Underworld, #9) by Gena Showalter The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6) by Kim Harrison One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld, #1) by Gena Showalter Shadow and Bone (The Grisha Trilogy, #1) by Leigh Bardugo

Shelf #7: 7/29 ~ urban-fantasy (I8)
stamp received 8/10/12
link

The Dead Girls' Dance (The Morganville Vampires, #2) by Rachel Caine Lethal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #3) by Larissa Ione At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3) by Jeaniene Frost Until I Die (Revenants, #2) by Amy Plum Hereafter (Hereafter, #1) by Tara Hudson

Shelf #8: 8/5 ~ personal: *series catch-up (N11)
stamp received 8/16/12
link

Immortal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #2) by Larissa Ione Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels World, #1) by Ilona Andrews Kiss of a Demon King (Immortals After Dark, #7) by Kresley Cole Fifty Shades Freed (Fifty Shades, #3) by E.L. James Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater

Shelf #9: 8/12 ~ angels (N14)
stamp received 8/20/12
link

Grave Witch (Alex Craft, #1) by Kalayna Price Angels' Flight (Angels' Pawn #0.5, Angels' Judgment #1.5, Angel's Wolf #4.5, Angels' Dance #4.75) by Nalini Singh Bared to You (Crossfire, #1) by Sylvia Day Covet (The Fallen Angels, #1) by J.R. Ward Skylark (Skylark, #1) by Meagan Spooner

Shelf #10: 8/19 ~ 2011 (G15)
stamp received 8/30/12
link

Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, #2) by Faith Hunter Equal Rites (Discworld, #3) by Terry Pratchett Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4) by Jeaniene Frost Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver Forever (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #3) by Maggie Stiefvater

Shelf #11: 8/26 ~ magic (O22)
stamp received 9/2/12
link

Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2) by Kalayna Price Shadow Walker (Stormwalker, #3) by Allyson James The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen Crave (The Fallen Angels, #2) by J.R. Ward Seraphina (Seraphina, #1) by Rachel Hartman

Shelf #12: 9/2 ~ psychic (N13)
stamp received ____
link

message 31: by Valerie (last edited Jul 05, 2012 07:04PM) (new)

Shelf: Free Space
5/5; stamp requested 7/4; stamp received 7/5

Judithe: By a Thread | finished 6/19/12 | 4 stars | review

Karen F: Grave Witch | finished 6/18/12 | 4 stars | review

Susan: Branded by Fire | finished 6/24/12 | 5 stars | review

Tania: Everneath | finished 7/4/12 | 4.5 stars | review

Valerie: Cape Storm | finished 6/19/12 | 4 stars | review

By a Thread (Elemental Assassin, #6) by Jennifer Estep Grave Witch (Alex Craft, #1) by Kalayna Price Branded by Fire (Psy-Changeling, #6) by Nalini Singh Everneath (Everneath, #1) by Brodi Ashton Cape Storm (Weather Warden, #8) by Rachel Caine

message 32: by Valerie (last edited Jun 24, 2012 09:05PM) (new)

Shelf: 6/17 ~ young adult paranormal (I9)
5/5; stamp requested 6/24; stamp received 6/24

Judithe: Fragile Eternity | finished 6/18/12 | 4 stars | review

Karen F: Wicked Lovely | finished 6/21/12 | 4 stars | review

Susan: Hex Hall | finished 6/18/12 | 4 stars | review

Tania: Demonglass | finished 6/23/12 | 4.5 stars | review

Valerie: Enchanted | finished 6/18/12 | 3 stars | review

Fragile Eternity (Wicked Lovely, #3) by Melissa Marr Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1) by Melissa Marr Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2) by Rachel Hawkins Enchanted by Alethea Kontis

message 33: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (versusthesiren) | 245 comments WE HAVE A SHELF: young adult paranormal.

LET'S DO THIS. >:D

message 34: by Susan (susayq ~) (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 247 comments I'm thinking I'm going to read The Goddess Test (Goddess Test, #1) by Aimee Carter ...or Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins I'll let you know which I decide on later this evening :)

message 35: by Valerie (last edited Jun 16, 2012 05:57PM) (new)

Valerie (versusthesiren) | 245 comments No problem! :) I've heard great things about Hex Hall.

I'll be reading Enchanted by Alethea Kontis (eta: for young-adult-paranormal).

message 36: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (last edited Jun 16, 2012 05:55PM) (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments Good morning! After days of rain, it's lovely to wake up to sunshine, and a shelf!

For Young Adult Paranormal, I'll be reading Fragile Eternity (Wicked Lovely, #3) by Melissa Marr

For Free Space, I'm still debating, but one of these from SOS' bookshelves:
By a Thread (Elemental Assassin, #6) by Jennifer Estep The Darkest Secret (Lords of the Underworld, #7) by Gena Showalter Mercy Burns (Myth and Magic, #2) by Keri Arthur

message 37: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (last edited Jun 16, 2012 06:36PM) (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments I also just posted this over in discussions:

The "official" SOS Book Shelf Bingo ROUND FIVE Stats Google Doc is up. Tab 1 shows which teams have received which stamps. Tab 2 has ALL teams Bingo cards...for an easy overview of who has what.

Valerie, I made the request for Team Captains to verify, but went ahead and confirmed ours to give an example...hoping everyone else will also do so quickly!

ETA: fixed the link here!

message 38: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23494 comments Judithe, is says 'This URL cannot be found'.

message 39: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments I went and posted a couple of others...fingers crossed!

(here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...

message 40: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23494 comments Yep, its all good now :)

message 41: by Susan (susayq ~) (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 247 comments I've decided on Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins for Young Adult Paranormal

message 42: by KarenF (last edited Jun 17, 2012 04:26AM) (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 540 comments Oh noes! My most dreaded shelf comes first!

I'm going to read Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore for Young Adult Paranormal.

Oh and for the free read I'm going to read on of these (all from the SOS bookshelf): Oracle's Moon (Elder Races, #4) by Thea Harrison Grave Witch (Alex Craft, #1) by Kalayna Price I'm the Vampire, That's Why (Broken Heart Vampires, #1) by Michele Bardsley

message 43: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments KarenF wrote: "Oh noes! My most dreaded shelf comes first!

..."

So with you! LOL...guess we can say we get the hardest over first...though I'm still a bit worried about "male-lead"...

message 44: by Tania (new)

Tania Rock (guilegirl) | 142 comments Hi guys!

Just on my way to in-laws for fathers day. Will pick my books tonight. I'm hoping to read Morgan Rice's new book. Just came out on Friday, so with my luck won't be on the list, will use it for free space if I can't use it for this weeks shelf.

Have a great Fathers Day!

message 45: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments Tania....you changed your picture! It is you, after all! Looking at names, I was thinking "This is my former teamie, Tania." Then the pic was different...Sometimes I just a bit slow...! Yippee!

message 46: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments Shelf 1: Young Adult Paranormal

Fragile Eternity (Wicked Lovely, #3) by Melissa Marr ★★★★☆
6/18/12

byMelissa Marr

After an almost exactly 7 month gap, I finally got to #3 of Wicked Lovely. I've forgotten a bit more than I'd like, which was confusing at times, but still enjoyed the story quite a bit. Despite my aversion to YA in general (another weird thing, because I do enjoy most of the books of that genre that I finally do pick up), this is a series I enjoy.

In some ways, I have the same issue with this as I do with many of my reads in "modern" Japanese fiction. It's a "substance" thing, and I'm not sure how to define it. If I take it to a food metaphor, it's like eating one piece of toro sashimi vs a hearty meal of Japanese-style BBQ (or yakiniku). This is sashimi. It has a delicate flavor. It's light, without being overfilling. You want to enjoy more when you're done, but it's not usually an overpowering thing. (Side note, I live in Japan, and have for a long time. There is an incredible food culture, and an extremely strong underlying emotional expression through food. I think I could write a dissertation on that alone, so be forgiving of that foodie comparison!)

This tale moves the main focus back to Aislinn. She is the Summer Queen, and that has complicated her life in ways she is still trying to sort out. Keenan wants her to be "only" his, as does Seth. Aislinn has her true love, and doesn't want to give him up, but also wants her court to be happy and healthy. The other courts are vying for power and trying to work out their relationships with each other and their courts after the recent changes in three of the monarchies. Lots of angst and woe? Yep. But, it isn't the "drag-me-into-despair-make-me-want-to-slit-my-wrists" type. (Though, still recommend this angsty stuff be consumed in small doses). All the characters have minds of their own, and fairly strong wills. They are (generally) not blind to the faults in others, but want the best (generally) for their own courts, and will do whatever they must to get it.

There isn't a whole lot of dramatic action, but the series seems to be moving towards a dramatic climax. I'm intrigued to find out how it will all end, even though I'm not always so fond of some of the characters.

OK. End of book, end of review. Get back to reading yours!

message 47: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (versusthesiren) | 245 comments Ahh, I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed that one! I did, too. I need to sit down and re-read the series one of these days. :)

message 48: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments LOL...I need to sit down and re-read the first two! Missed a few too many things!

message 49: by Susan (susayq ~) (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 247 comments One of my daughters has all the books in that series. Glad to know you enjoy them. I may have to pick them up.

message 50: by Tania (new)

Tania Rock (guilegirl) | 142 comments Judithe,

Loved your review. Boy you read fast!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10