SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Archive: Past Team Challenges > R5: Team #11 ~ Ocean's 11

Comments Showing 301-350 of 385 (385 new)    post a comment »

message 301: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1232 comments Angel Shelf completed
Angel Betrayed (The Fallen, #2) by Cynthia Eden
Aug 17/12
3 stars

I think if I had read the first one in the series I might feel more connected to this story. I really do like stories with flawed hero and heroine. Both were flawed, aggressive and used to winning which made it a pleasure to read about their battle of wills.

The Fallen series is about angels that fall because they develop human feelings and end up breaking their laws. Sammael the Death Angel chose to take the souls of some men that hurt women and children. He then fell from heaven and has lived on the earth for centuries.

Seline is a half-breed. (She's half succubus, half angel) willing to do whatever it takes to gain her freedom. Raised by the Punishment Angel, Rogziel, he uses Seline to lure in those he deems in need of justice and punishment while telling her what an abomination she is. But Seline has come to realize that not all of Rogziel's victims deserve his brand of justice.

Overall it was a well done story I just couldn't really connect with the characters. If I can get the first one in the series I will read it. I did enjoy the authors writing and the different spin she put on all the different kinds of angels.

message 302: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1232 comments JenniferJ wrote: "Angel Review Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz

Blue Bloods
Completed 8/14/12
2 stars

I almost put this book down several times because usually if I'm not into a book within at least the first 100 pages the..."

I agree with you. I gave that book the same rating and felt the same way as you did.

message 303: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 768 comments I finished my Angel book today (8/17) and gave it 3 stars.

Review:
Better than the first book. Now Madison has to learn how to be the dark timekeeper while still trying to find her body and convince her dad that everything is normal. Her first mission isn't going great as Nakita and Barnabus are constantly disagreeing while trying to save a soul from releasing a deadly computer virus.

Early to Death, Early to Rise (Madison Avery, #2) by Kim Harrison

Mary, Mary, Just a bit contrary (MaryMaryJustabitcontrary) | 2328 comments So I think it's just me and Kim that need to finish angels. I'm almost done. I'll try and finish and review tonight.

Mary, Mary, Just a bit contrary (MaryMaryJustabitcontrary) | 2328 comments Finished my angel book.

Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10) by Jim Butcher 8/17/12 4 stars

OK I still love this series. I love Harry. I want to move to Chicago and be his love slave. I'm glad I have the next 2 books on hand so I can read them ASAP. Usually I get tired of a series when they get this long. But Butcher is such a great writer and it doesn't feel like I'm reading the same book over and over again.

Mary, Mary, Just a bit contrary (MaryMaryJustabitcontrary) | 2328 comments I will definately be reading Turn Coat if dark-fantasy is called.

Mary, Mary, Just a bit contrary (MaryMaryJustabitcontrary) | 2328 comments OK something weird is going on with a shelf. I'm doing a dragon challenge that started as soon as the Year Of The Dragon started. I shelved a bunch of books "dragons". I was just looking at Lady of Light and Shadows and when I do a search of the shelves using ctrl f it doesn't find "dragons". Well not just plain dragons but someone else's shelf with the word dragons in it. So how come "dragons" doesn't come up when I put it on the dragons shelf back in January? And does that mean that I couldn't use it for this?

message 308: by Kim (new)

Kim Are you talking about this book - Lady of Light and Shadows by C.L. Wilson? I just found dragons on its shelves on page 7. The book came up twice when I searched for it so make sure you check both of them and link to the right one when you do your review.

message 309: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 768 comments Mary wrote: "Finished my angel book.

Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10) by Jim Butcher 8/17/12 4 stars

OK I still love this series. I love Harry. I want to move to Chicago and be his love slave. I'm glad I have the next 2 books on..."

This is one of my favorite series. Which is surprising since I didn't like the first two books that much.

message 310: by JenniferJ (new)

JenniferJ | 205 comments I am so excited to see what the next shelf called will be! Fingers crossed ladies!!! :)

message 311: by Mary, Mary, Just a bit contrary (last edited Aug 18, 2012 04:22AM) (new)

Mary, Mary, Just a bit contrary (MaryMaryJustabitcontrary) | 2328 comments Yeah that's the book. When I looked at the shelves for that book, I could not find dragons on it. I even used the Ctrl/F function to search for the world.

Thanks for checking for me.

So I am leaving soon and will be gone until at least 8pm EST. I wouldn't worry too much about submitting the angel stamp request after Kim gets her review up, unless dark-fantasy is called. Then we need angels.

I'm tempted to bring my laptop and stop somewhere with free wifi to check for the shelf call. Then I could start an audiobook.

message 312: by Kim (new)

Kim Wow, I can't believe a winning shelf wasn't called this week!!! I am planning to get all caught up this week. I am halfway through my series catch up book and a 1/3 of the way through my angel book. I am going to read Cross My Heart for my 2011 book. I picked it because it's under 300 pages so I can be %100 caught up by Saturday.

message 313: by JenniferJ (new)

JenniferJ | 205 comments My 2011 Book is going to be Bumped (Bumped, #1) by Megan McCafferty

Mary, Mary, Just a bit contrary (MaryMaryJustabitcontrary) | 2328 comments Unbelievable. There were so many more possible winning shelves than non-winners. I'm sure this gives even more potential bingos for next week. I'm too tired to check now but I will before the next shelf is up. I'll be surprised if we're still the only ones that need dark fantasy or dragons to win now.

Mary, Mary, Just a bit contrary (MaryMaryJustabitcontrary) | 2328 comments I'll be reading Side Jobs Stories From the Dresden Files (The Dresden Files, #12.5) by Jim Butcher for the 2011 shelf. I need to read it tomorrow and mail it out for paperbackswap. Lucky it fits the shelf.

message 316: by Kim (new)

Kim Mary wrote: "I'll be reading Side Jobs Stories From the Dresden Files (The Dresden Files, #12.5) by Jim Butcher for the 2011 shelf. I need to read it tomorrow and mail it out for paperbackswap. Lucky it fits the shelf."

Someone else posted somewhere (maybe in the discussion thread), that there are now only two shelves that won't give someone bingo next week. I think we are the only ones that would with dragons, but there is one other team that could bingo with dark fantasy. I will be finishing my angels shelf ASAP!!!! :)

Mary, Mary, Just a bit contrary (MaryMaryJustabitcontrary) | 2328 comments I forgot to post my series catch-up review.

Land of Echoes (Cree Black, #2) by Daniel Hecht 4 stars 8/17/12

I really liked this book. I'm so glad she's trying to move on with her life after her husband's death. I was so worried it was going to turn into one of those series where the main character does nothing but pine for their dead love. I really liked the info and insight into Navajo culture. I normally have things figured out long before the author brings it to a conclusion. But I have to say that it didn't occur to me who the ghost was and why they haunted the boy until just before the author made the reveal.

Mary, Mary, Just a bit contrary (MaryMaryJustabitcontrary) | 2328 comments I'm changing my 2011 book to: Pack of Lies (Paranormal Scene Investigations #2) by Laura Anne Gilman. I'm running out of borrowing time on this. Also I've already read most of Side Jobs in various anthologies. The couple I haven't read take place after books in the series that I haven't gotten to yet. So I'll get that from the library once I get caught up on the series.

message 319: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1232 comments I ll read Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong for 2011 shelf

message 320: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 768 comments Zina wrote: "I ll read Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong for 2011 shelf"

Ooooh, that is one of my favorites.

message 321: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1232 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Zina wrote: "I ll read Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong for 2011 shelf"

Ooooh, that is one of my favorites."

So far I am really enjoying it....quite pleased...

message 322: by JenniferJ (new)

JenniferJ | 205 comments If I didn't really want to get this book Bumped (Bumped, #1) by Megan McCafferty off my TBR shelf I would totally choose a new one for my 2011 read. I'm bout middle ways done and still not feeling it {{sigh}}

Mary, Mary, Just a bit contrary (MaryMaryJustabitcontrary) | 2328 comments I finished my 2011 book but I'm too tired to do the review. I'll do it tomorrow. I just came on to see if maybe we had out last angels review.

message 324: by Kim (new)

Kim Mary wrote: "I finished my 2011 book but I'm too tired to do the review. I'll do it tomorrow. I just came on to see if maybe we had out last angels review."

I am 70% done with my angels book now so I should be posting my review in the next day or so!!

message 325: by JenniferJ (new)

JenniferJ | 205 comments 2011 Review for Bumped (Bumped, #1) by Megan McCafferty

2 stars
Completed 8/20/12

I found Bumped to be just a meh book....it wasn't bad it's just one of those I had gotten all excited about and found it to not live up to my expectations.

The story in itself I found interesting but I couldn't connect with any of the characters. Usually I can at least really hate the villain/bad person but there really isn't one nor one that is particularly that great. They just weren't very likable or easy to relate to.

The story felt rushed and alot of times I found I was sitting there thinking..what the heck? I didn't know who was the most mixed up me or the characters because one minute you got the church raised twin being all holier than thou and the next minute she is doing the very things she supposedly came to talk her twin out of doing.

The ending was no big cliff hanger for me and I am not sure at this point if the next book is in my near future if at all unless my local library happens to have it.

message 326: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1232 comments I finished my 2011 book will post review later it was a great read

Mary, Mary, Just a bit contrary (MaryMaryJustabitcontrary) | 2328 comments Pack of Lies (Paranormal Scene Investigations #2) by Laura Anne Gilman 4 stars 8/20/12

I would have given this 5 stars but it needed a little more action. There was a lot of ruminating in this one. I like that she added sections from other characters point of views. I'm not a huge fan of first person narrative. I like to spend some time in the view point of other characters. It frustrates that almost all urban fantasy is written first person. So I liked being in Ben and Adan's heads for a bit. I hope we get to spend some time from Ian's perspective in future books. But maybe that's because I have a thing for red-headed men.

message 328: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1232 comments Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong

2011 Shelf
Aug 21/2012
5 stars

Freaking loved this story. Awesome start for a new author to me. This book had everything. It was fast paced, soaked in drama, and had an excellent romance story. Delivered beyond any and all expectations. Armstrong creates an engaging and fascinating world in which her well-developed characters thrive, especially strong and independent narrator Elena, whom I loved.

Elena is a modern career woman who lives in Toronto with her boyfriend. She has a very big secret, she's a werewolf. She shuns her "pack" who live in upstate New York for the life of a regular woman who leads a normal life. Things change though when her fellow pack members call on her for help fighting some renegade werewolves who are threatening the security of the pack by killing people on pack territory. Elena must decide where she belongs....and why.

The characters in Bitten are very well developed. I loved all of the pack members and really enjoyed their distinct personalities. Kelley Armstrong did a good job writing her environments as well, whether it's the beautiful mansion Stonehaven where the pack live, the city life in Toronto, or even if she's just describing the forest where the pack runs as wolves.

Bitten is a fast paced thriller with a love story in it's midst. Clay and Elena are right up there with Bones & Cat or Curran & Kate.

message 329: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 768 comments Glad you loved the book, Zina. Clay and Elena are one of my favorites. This series is a bit different in that the main characters change here and there. Books 1, 2, 6 and 10 feature Elena and Clay. Books three and four feature Paige (who you will meet in book 2), but everyone is connected, so you usually get at least a cameo by your favorites.

message 330: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 768 comments Well, I finally finished my Series Catch Up book today (8/21) and gave it 4 stars.

Review:
I was thrilled when I realized this story was about the Sweetwaters, as I've been wanting them to have their own books for a long time. Virginia and Owen are perfect for each other. I loved learning some of the Sweetwater secrets and the interplay between Virginia and her housekeeper, Mrs. Crofton was fun to read. I hope more Sweetwaters get their own stories in the future.

Quicksilver (Looking Glass Trilogy, #2; Arcane Society, #11) by Amanda Quick

message 331: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1232 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Glad you loved the book, Zina. Clay and Elena are one of my favorites. This series is a bit different in that the main characters change here and there. Books 1, 2, 6 and 10 feature Elena and Cl..."

Thats good to know i have a couple of them and a bunch on hold at the livrary

message 332: by JenniferJ (new)

JenniferJ | 205 comments Zina I have been wanting to get around to that series for a while now! I am very excited to get started on them after your review and what Diane said about them!

message 333: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1232 comments JenniferJ wrote: "Zina I have been wanting to get around to that series for a while now! I am very excited to get started on them after your review and what Diane said about them!"

If dark fantasy is called i am pretty sure it is on that shelf

Is over 400 pages but is a fast read

message 334: by Kim (new)

Kim I am almost done with my angels book and should have my review posted later tonight! Can't wait to see what the shelf will be on Saturday!!

message 335: by Kim (new)

Kim Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor

Rating: 3 Stars
Date: 8/22/2012
Shelf: Angels

This book started out as a 4 star read for me. I liked the characters and thought the story was interesting. I ended up rating it 3 stars though. I am not a fan of romances where the two main characters have instant connections and this happened twice in the book. It also didn't seem like much action was happening towards the end and it felt slow to me. I haven't decided if I will read the next books in the series yet.

Mary, Mary, Just a bit contrary (MaryMaryJustabitcontrary) | 2328 comments I'll request the angels stamp tonight or at least before the next shelf is called.

Someone else did the work for me:

Bingo status update as of 2011 shelf:
Teams that now have 4 in a row:

#1: Fourth row: New Series

#2: O column: New Series

#3: Third row: Sci-fi Romance and/or
Diagonal: Kick-Ass Heroine

#4: Fifth row: Reader's Choice

#5: B column: New2You Author

#6: Middle row:Paranormal Fantasy

#7: Diagonal: Male Lead

#8: Diagonal: Vampires

#10: Third row: Vampires and/or
G column: New2You Author

#11: B column: Dragons and/or
Diagonal: Dark Fantasy

#12: N column: Psychic and/or
G column: New Series

#13: B column: Reader’s Choice and/or
First row: Psychic

#15: First row: Dark Fantasy

#16: B Column: Male Lead and/or
Third row: Paranormal Romance

#17: I Column: Male Lead and/or
Diagonal: New Series

#18: N Column: Reader's Choice

14 more shelves left
12 are winning shelves
86% chance that a winning shelf will be called next week
Magic and Fave Supe are the non-winning shelves if they are called next week
Kick-Ass Heroine (3), Dragons (11), Sci-fi Romance (3), Paranormal Romance (16), and Paranormal Fantasy (6) are winning shelves for 1 team.
Vampires, Psychic, New2You Author, and Dark Fantasy for 2 teams
Reader's Choice, Male Lead for 3 teams
New Series for 4 teams

Mary, Mary, Just a bit contrary (MaryMaryJustabitcontrary) | 2328 comments So I hate to say this but I am going away this weekend from Sunday to Tuesday night. I am going to bring my Kindle with me and should have internet access in the hotel room. I'll make sure I have something for dark fantasy and dragons if either is called.

We are the only team that needs dragons so that one doesn't worry me. But another team can win with dark fantasy.

Mary, Mary, Just a bit contrary (MaryMaryJustabitcontrary) | 2328 comments It just occurred to me that if she posts the new shelf the same time frame that she's been posting it, then I will see it before I go out of town and I can probably get a dragons or dark fantasy book started before I go if one is called. I could even have my kindle read one to me while I drive to PA.

message 339: by JenniferJ (new)

JenniferJ | 205 comments Come on Dragons! :)

Mary, Mary, Just a bit contrary (MaryMaryJustabitcontrary) | 2328 comments OK I made time to do the angel shelf request.

So wish me luck. I've been dating this guy for a month now. He's coming over my house for the first time. It's just to watch a dvd but we'll see if something happens. The kid is visiting her father. But I'm starting to panic about my age, my weight etc..,

message 342: by JenniferJ (new)

JenniferJ | 205 comments awww stop panicking. I am sure you'll have a nice time. What movie are ya gonna watch? We finally got around to watching Hunger Games on dvd this week!

message 343: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 768 comments Mary - I hope you both have a great time tonight.

message 344: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 768 comments I am going to read Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side (Jessica, #1) by Beth Fantaskey for the 2011 shelf.

message 345: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 25918 comments CONGRATULATIONS, Ocean's 11!
You now have an updated BINGO card with a stamp on 'angels'.

[Your updated BINGO card can be viewed on page 1]

Good Job!! :D

message 346: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 22034 comments Congrats on the stamp Oceans!

Good luck Mary ;)

message 347: by Kim (new)

Kim How did the date go, Mary?

It's another week without a winning shelf! If we get the new shelf magic and 2011, I think it gives us another 4 in a row, so I am going to make sure to get those two shelves done this week.

I am going to do an audiobook for magic so I can finish faster. I will listen to Immortal Beloved. My 2011 book isn't too long so I should be able to finish both this week.

message 348: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 768 comments 3 chances at the winning shelf will be good! I promise to finish both my 2011 and Magic books before the next shelf is called. I will most likely read A Witch Before Dying (A Wishcraft Mystery, #2) by Heather Blake for Magic.

Mary, Mary, Just a bit contrary (MaryMaryJustabitcontrary) | 2328 comments I can't believe another non-winning shelf! Crazy.

So if Male-lead is called there's like 4 teams now that can with this (maybe more with this latest shelf call). So we if it's called, we'll all have to be caught up with 2011 and Magic and read male-lead really quick if want any chance of winning.

message 350: by Mary, Mary, Just a bit contrary (last edited Aug 25, 2012 10:38AM) (new)

Mary, Mary, Just a bit contrary (MaryMaryJustabitcontrary) | 2328 comments Heart Mate (Celta's Heartmates, #1) by Robin D. Owens

for me for magic. I had planned to read this for another challenge.

or maybe

Third Grave Dead Ahead (Charley Davidson #3) by Darynda Jones

because I just got this from the library.