Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

Martyr (John Shakespeare, #1)
This topic is about Martyr
Monthly Group Reads > JULY 2012 (Group Read 2): Martyr by Rory Clements

Comments Showing 1-50 of 121 (121 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19503 comments This thread is for the JULY group read of Martyr.

Martyr (John Shakespeare, #1) by Rory Clements
Martyr by Rory Clements

message 2: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19503 comments Unless something changes between now and July 1, then my fellow moderator extraodinaire, Dawn, will be reading this one with the group while I read the other book with the group, Killer of Men.

Anne (spartandax) | 797 comments Terri wrote: "This thread is for the JULY group read of Martyr.

Bonhoeffer Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas
Martyr by Rory Clements"

Finally, one that my library has. I put it on hold today. Still no word on "Inquisition."

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments My library has this one too. Glad you can join us, this one looks good. :)

message 5: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19503 comments Good news, Anne. :-)

Tasha My library has this one too. :)

message 7: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19503 comments Bummer. :) I mean, yay! only I am going to be on the other read. I will still be dropping by this thread to see how everyone is going with Martyr though. To judge whether I want to read it one day or not.

Tasha It's not the one I voted for but since my library has it, and it's the group read, I'll probably give it a try.

message 9: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19503 comments It's not the one I voted for either. I want to read it for sure....unless you all read it and don't like it.

message 10: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19503 comments I have added a video to the groups videos.
It is of Rory Clements taking about his John Shakespeare character from this series.
http://www.goodreads.com/videos/26036...

message 11: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne (spartandax) | 797 comments I have Rory Clements Martyr on my table. I will wait until the rest of you start reaading. If I started it tonight, I would be finished by Saturday.
never had any luck with Inquisition by Alfredo Colitto I am sorry because I would like to read it because it is one of my favorite historical times.

message 12: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19503 comments Don't worry, Anne. Inquisition, while a decent read for some of the people that read it with the group, still wasn't a fabulous or unforgettable read. There are probably better books out there set in that era.

As for Martyr, (and don't worry about links, you don't have to link to Martyr or the author in this thread because it is dedicated to the book) I too have it sitting here.
I will kick July off with the other group read, Killer of Men, then I have a read with some friends on GR of another book, Five Years to Freedom: The True Story of a Vietnam POW, then I'd like to fit in one of Diana's books.
IF I can fit Martyr in, and the reports on it during the group read are positive, then I'll be reading it too.

I think Dawn plans on starting Martyr July 1 if you want to start beginning on July also, Anne.

message 13: by Dawn (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments I will be starting a few days late, July 3rd, because I will be on a mini vacation on the 1st and 2nd and I don't want to read when I can't get to a computer.

Feel free to start without me. :) I'll catch up.

Tasha I have Martyr coming on reserve from the library.

Marty (martymill) | 65 comments Waiting for my copy to come in from the library.

message 16: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19503 comments Libraries. Where would we be without them? :)

Tasha Definitely not as well-read!

message 18: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19503 comments That's for sure!

message 19: by Dawn (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments I have mine from the library already. It's sitting here calling to me.......read me, read me. :)

message 20: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19503 comments So is mine! It's saying.. "Terri...Terri...if you just increase your reading speed...Terri.." lol. I am quite happily starting the month on the other group read though. :)
Good that you guys get to go first and test the waters for me.

Aaron (lordaaron) | 7 comments Happy to have found at my library! Already started since I was fresh out of reading material. Up to page 29 and so far I like the author's style.

message 22: by Dawn (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments That's a good sign, there are three more books in the series so I'm hoping I like it. :)

message 23: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19503 comments Congrats Lordaaron! Always good when libraries come through.

RE: the series
This is why I am hoping to get to it also. I do like a good series and I know if I don't do it with you guys for July then I'll end up putting it off. group read is a perfect excuse to get to it.

message 24: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne (spartandax) | 797 comments I started Martyr (John Shakespeare, #1) by Rory Clements not at the stroke of Midnight this morning, but at 2:AM. I love the name of the hero, John Shakespeare. So far looks very interesting.

message 25: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19503 comments Anne did you watch the video of Rory Clements talking about how he came upon this character? The group video?

message 26: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne (spartandax) | 797 comments Not yet. Will have to watch it now.

Tasha I have it now from the Iibrary. I'll probably start by next week. Looking forward to this read!

message 28: by Dawn (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments I got sidetracked by the long weekend and I haven't started this yet......I might not get to start it until next weekend.

Tasha i'll probably start same time as you, Dawn.

Tasha although, maybe by this weekend. It all depends.

message 31: by Dawn (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments It'll depend how far I get with the other books I've got started, I have four on the go right now and I need to finish three of them before they are due back. :)

message 32: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19503 comments I am not reading anything right now. I have been too sleepy at night and it is night time that I do my reading. I have put our other group read on hold as I wait for three fellow readers to recieve their copies in the mail, so I thought I'd read Martyr...only I have been sleeping at night instead of reading and now it's 5th July and I haven't tead anything.

message 33: by Dawn (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments We had good intentions....... :)

message 34: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19503 comments At least we have the month. I'll definitely start today though on Martyr. Now that I see Bobby has started it. I think half the reason I have had little interest in starting either group read is because I was waiting for others to start.:-)

message 35: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne (spartandax) | 797 comments I have already read about 2/3 of it. The story is intersting, and strangely, is at the same Historical time as another book I am also reading, both telling about the Spanish Armada and Queen Eliz. I's reactions to the rumors.

message 36: by Dawn (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments Okay, I'm going to the library after work to finish some reading. Then I'll be able to start this sooner.....

Vanessa Caulkins | 33 comments Sigh... I'm still waiting for this to be returned to the library so I can check it out. It's due back by the 26th so hopefully I'll get to read it right before the end of the month!

message 38: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19503 comments Hopefully they'll return it early. /

message 39: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19503 comments I am only 35 pages in, but I am interested already. I like the characters, especially Boltfoot.

Marty (martymill) | 65 comments Finally received my copy from the library. Will start tonight. It must be good, every copy is check out from both the library systems I use.

message 41: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19503 comments It seems to be a very popular series. I saw when Dawn and I put it up in the voting that its reviews are up and down. However, I feel the benefit of reading it for some of us who like finding a new series is just that, it is a new series. :-) And some of the books after this one rate very well.

Bobby (bobbej) | 1366 comments First 100 pages are ass-grabbing!! Hope it can maintain the pace!! Definite "good" guys and definite(!!!) "bad" guys. Can practically smell the rot and wood-burning in the streets.

Tasha Sounds good, Bobby! I'll be starting it later this weekend. I picked up a short book sitting on my shelf, out from the library, and then I'll get it started.

message 44: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Jul 07, 2012 02:56AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19503 comments I agree Bobby. I felt it too. I love the description at the crime scene in the opening scenes....

(view spoiler)

message 45: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne (spartandax) | 797 comments I finished it last night. I won't give anything away until more of you start posting that you are also finished. I liked it, and John Shakespeare is a good protagonist. It was obvious at the ending that there are more to come.

message 46: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth Mast | 34 comments I finally got around to ordering the book. Hopefully by the end of next week I will be able to get started on it!

message 47: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19503 comments Anne wrote: "I finished it last night. I won't give anything away until more of you start posting that you are also finished. I liked it, and John Shakespeare is a good protagonist. It was obvious at the ending..."

Would you read more in the series, Beth? The rest look good too.

message 48: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19503 comments Beth wrote: "I finally got around to ordering the book. Hopefully by the end of next week I will be able to get started on it!"

Beth! Mate I was wondering where you got to. Glad you are joining in.

message 49: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth Mast | 34 comments I might read more in the series depends on if I like the first one. :)

I have been MIA in a while. I was embarresed because I haven't gotten any of the books that were recommended to me. I'm kind of low on funds. However I found this book for under a dollar!! Can't beat that!

I try to keep up with you guys.

message 50: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Jul 07, 2012 04:13PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terri | 19503 comments Under a dollar! Bargain of the century.

Don't feel guilty or embarrased. :-) You don't have to EVER actually get any of the books we recommend to you. I don't get barely any of the books that are recommended to me.

And please still feel free to vote on the group read polls even though you may not read the books. I'll be putting up the next polls (for August group read) today.

I am always low on cash for extravagances like books too. That's why I'd be lost without my library.

« previous 1 3