Dare to Dream discussion

Miscellaneous > Scooters

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 2585 comments Mod
Last year, I watched the film Larry Crowne, starring Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts. In the movie, Larry Crowne (Tom Hanks) buys a scooter and joins a scooter gang. The film caused an idea to be planted and today it sprouted. Scooters seem like a great, efficient transportation method - it only cost $5 to register them in Colorado, they get great gas mileage and they are very compact.

Tonight I looked at the online library catalog and requested 2 books on scooters. I also found a scooter shop in town that I plan to check out.

I was wondering if anyone in the group has a scooter or has knowledge about scooters and would like to share (please :-)

message 2: by Becca (new)

Becca (goblinfan) | 402 comments I've begun researching getting a motorcycle and all that entails, myself Dustin. Now, in Pennsylvania you need a class M (motorcycle) license to ride scooters over 50cc. I don't know how Colorado is with that sort of thing. But I would recommend taking the MSF (motorcycle saftey foundation) Basic Rider Course, if your state requires a license.
http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Defaul...

Also check with your local dept of transportation's site and there should be something there to help figure all that out. I just printed out PAs motorcycle operators manual yesterday, to study for the knowledge test.
Have you considered an electric scooter? No gas at all!

message 3: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Colorado is the same - no Motorcycle license needed if 50cc or under. I never considered electric.

Today after work I went by the scooter store and they let me ride one around their building a few times. It was kinda scary :-) The helmet was heavy - it ain't bicycle helmet but I could get used to that. Had to get used to how the machine works. The first time I tried to make a u-turn it was rather a disaster but I learn from my mistakes.

What about an electric bike? Maybe I will stop by the electric bike store tomorrow.

I want something as simple as possible. The scooters I looked at today were $2,700 - $3,000 with tax. I was told insurance costs just over $100 for a year and gas is maybe $5 a week.

message 4: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Larry Crowne Trailer:
http://youtu.be/eFVuGeId56U

message 5: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

This is the scooter store in Colorado:
http://www.sportiquescooters.com/

message 6: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine My current neighbors, three more weeks to go before the move, Thank god, have teenagers with scooters. Sometimes as many as 20 scooters show up. They are noisy and annoying. They also drive them irresponsibly and I worry about my own children's safety. I hate scooters...

message 7: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Jun 15, 2012 05:07AM) (new)

Marc - Is this the type of scooter your neighbors have?
Motorized Scooter

This scooter is illegal in some cities and not the type I am looking at. Although I might be interested in joining a scooter gang like Larry Crowne - once I get familiar riding the thing :-)

message 8: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

This is also NOT the type of scooter I am looking at:

scooter for seniors
This is what senior citizens use to get around - I do think the basket could be handy though :-)

message 9: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

This is one of the scooters I am looking at:
Buddy
Buddy by The Genuine Scooter Company

message 10: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

This is another scooter I am looking at & the one I test rided a little yesterday:
People
People by KYMCO

message 11: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Someday I would like to join a scooter gang like this:
http://youtu.be/ksa6Kh9V634

message 12: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Jun 15, 2012 05:45AM) (new)

This is the route 66 ride to the Premier of Larry Crowne last year:
http://youtu.be/7-0FpoQvn9s

:-)This really inspires me to DARE TO DREAM!

message 13: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

This trailer is Larry Crowne but also mixed in are crashes, showing that the rider must be safe when operating a scooter:
http://youtu.be/ix0hQb2cq48

message 14: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Interesting interview with founder of The Genuine Scooter Company:
http://youtu.be/nimseF_F-aM

message 15: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

went to the electric bike shop today and those things costs just as much as a scooter and don't go nearly as fast. Definitely leaning toward scoot life - just have to factor in the cost of insurance, tune-ups, etc - even with that it's still a nice deal - gives me something new to daydream about :-)

Now I'm wishing I had kept my Larry Crowne movie poster that I got last year while working at the theater. I recently de-cluttered my room, took down all but 2 movie posters and donated them - oh well. I will still keep the dream alive :-)

message 16: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Now I am keeping my eyes peeled for scooters on the road. Scooter riders look so happy & hip :-)

Got an email that my scooter books are waiting for me at the library but will have to wait until tomorrow since the library closes early Friday - Sunday.

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2974 comments not to be a downer but i was wondering is the scooter practical for winters in colorado or are you just looking for transportation in the warmer months? (i know a used car would be more expensive but it seems like it might be safer (and warmer) during the winter months.

On the plus side, in addition to larry crowne i believe howard on the big bang theory also drives a scooter :)

message 18: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) The scooter in message 9 is very similar to the one my friend Tina has in pink, she's really cute on it with her pink helmet. According to her, it's not good in the winter and she only uses it in summer months. Also no place to carry anything so it's not useful when going food shopping or any shopping, really. But she loves it to get around our little town, from her house to her job, it's about a mile from each other.

message 19: by Becca (new)

Becca (goblinfan) | 402 comments Holy cow, Jackie, if I lived a mile from work I'd walk. It's free, you're exercising and no wear and tear on a car.

message 20: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I would too. But this girl is always running late, owns a beauty salon and can't have the customers leave because she walked.

message 21: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I presently live around 2.5 or 3 miles from where I work. It takes me about an hour to walk the distance - sometimes a little less or little more, depending on how fast I move my feet.

I will have to ask around about winter scooter riding - I was thinking it wouldn't be too bad - better than a bike in the winter :-)

message 22: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Faster, if nothing else.

message 23: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

And really hip & cool :-)

Ask that pink scooter girl if hers is a Buddy. If you know that pink scooter girl well, you can give me some feedback like some inside scoop on the scooter scene okay? Does she ride in a gang? I would like to join a scooter gang someday like Larry Crowne did.

message 24: by Jackie (last edited Jun 16, 2012 04:04PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) No, we don't have gangs here. She uses it just to get to work. She has a car which she uses for food shopping and all other stuff.