Blizzard Cast discussion

Roleplay > TM Homebase

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by κίρστεν (Kirsten), AWESOME STUPID LLAMA FACE (new)

κίρστεν (Kirsten) (kirsten_j) | 352 comments Mod
((OK, here goes. You can enter Nat here, Deborah.))

The soft crackle of the radio communicator was a welcome distraction to Todd Foxe who was feeling the beginnings of a headache coming on as he blinked wearily at the Lodge budget on his computer screen. He always hated this part of the administration work. Todd picked up the communicator and held it close to his ear.
"Kris?" No answer. Only the harsh sound of radio fuzz and what might, perhaps, have been the wind cutting across the speaker out in the Pass. "Ivar? Julian? Marc?" Todd frowned at the little radio. Still no answer. He sighed softly and put the communicator down. They were probably just in a bad spot for reception at the moment. They'd call back in an hour or so when reception was restored. In the meantime he scrubbed a hand wearily across his face and turned back to the pale glow of the computer screen, too preoccupied to notice the howl of the wind building as it began to rattle the lodge windows and whip snow through the valleys of the foothills.

yojharobed || I have no sword. I don't need a sword. Because I am the Doctor and this is my spoon. En garde! (yojharobed) | 330 comments Mod
Nat~Andrea and Todd
Nat walked into the office shuffling through a stack of papers. Todd has asked him to run some numbers and see if they could afford better radios-the ones they had were getting old and needed to be replaced. He was reading aloud to himself in a mumble as he made his way over to his desk. He glanced up as he heard Andrea say something to Todd, and found himself staring at her. He liked her-a lot-but he was too shy to make the first move, and besides, why would a gorgeous girl like her be interested in him? He really wanted to ask her out, and get to know her better. He set the papers on his desk and said, "Todd, is something wrong?" The manager looked worried, holding the radio in his hand and frowning. The radio crackled again, the fuzzy static of an out-of-range receiver, and Nat sighed. "Can you not reach them, or are they just in a bad spot for reception?" he asked. "They can't be out of range already, can they?"

Jessi~Stephen
Jessi walked into the Homebase, head down, reading a book as usual. She was absorbed in the story of Kate O'Malley in The Negotiator, and was paying no attention to where she was walking. She gasped as she ran right into someone, dropping her book and bag, and looked up into the warm greenish eyes of Stephen. "Oh! H-hey," she stuttered. She cursed under her breath. She was never this clumsy! She didn't know what it was about this man, but he made her feel warm inside, and when she looked into his eyes, she melted. A woman could drown in those eyes. She wiped the emotion from her face and sighed. "Sorry, Stephen," she said ruefully, bending down to pick up her stuff. "I didn't mean to run into you. I should be more careful."

((Sorry, I kinda borrowed Stephen a bit there, Ash O.o))

message 3: by κίρστεν (Kirsten), AWESOME STUPID LLAMA FACE (new)

Todd~Nat and Adrea

Todd glanced up at Andrea's voice and gave her a noncommittal shrug.
"Just a bad spot I guess. I think Kris was trying to call back here." He bit his lip and scowled as he glanced out the window, noticing for the first time the howling wind and snowflakes dancing past the panes. "I'm sure they'll get in contact when they can." He set the radio back on the desk, keeping his eyes on the window. Ever since his brother had died he'd kept a close eye on Kris. He felt almost responsible that she should come back safely. It had, after all, been on his advice that she had finally come back to hike the trail again. He got up. "Have you checked the weather report lately?" He asked Nat. "It wasn't supposed to start snowing until tomorrow."

yojharobed || I have no sword. I don't need a sword. Because I am the Doctor and this is my spoon. En garde! (yojharobed) | 330 comments Mod
Nat~Todd and Andrea
Nat nodded. "That's right, today was supposed to be clear skies, no snow until late tomorrow. I guess Mr. Weatherman was wrong." He frowned. "I hope that nothing happens-if it starts snowing too hard they could get stuck up there."

Jessi~Stephen
Jes smiled. Stephen was always trying to solve a puzzle of some sort, and she thought it was adorable. He glanced at the teaser he held out and nodded. "I believe you," she laughed. "You're much too honest to say anything but the truth!" She accepted her book as he handed it to her and gasped softly as their hands brushed. A spark of warmth ran up her hand and color suffused her cheeks. To try and take her mind off of him, she asked, "Do you know if the group has made contact yet? Its past time..."

((You know what's weird? Stephen reminds me of a boy I know...O.o))

Nat~Andy and Todd
Listening intently to Andy, Nat barely noticed when Roxy jumped up on his legs, and he absently bent and picked her up, stroking her long, fluffy ears. "I agree with Andy," Nat told Todd. "I know that Marc, Kris, Ivar, Jay and the rest can take care of themselves, but I know that there are several newbies who would be hard put to start a fire, much less take care of themselves and others. I suggest that if we still can't reach them within an hour or so, we go out and look for them. I don't want anything to happen to them." He leaned forward, a serious look on his face.

((Yeah, he likes her! read my first post! XD And I changed his form =D))

message 6: by κίρστεν (Kirsten), AWESOME STUPID LLAMA FACE (last edited Aug 19, 2012 07:27PM) (new)

Todd~Nat and Andy

"Neither do I." Todd murmured, frowning slightly. "I'll try to contact them before it gets dark."
Ah, of course. Todd felt a slight smile tugging at his lips as he glanced through the door of his office, past Nat, and spotted Stephen and Jes chatting over one of the former's ever-present puzzles. It was good to see the young man interacting with Jess so openly.

Todd remembered clearly the day he'd first met the worn, dejected, sickly looking man at his small church. Stephen had been struggling to get a job ever since he'd limped out of that hospital with an oxygen cannula taped to his face and a cheap metal cane in hand. His record of drug abuse, alcoholism, and incarceration due to mental illness had resulted in rejection everywhere. His record of drug abuse, alcoholism, and incarceration due to mental illness had resulted in rejection everywhere, his parents had clearly been useless in his life and the assault that he had endured had caused him permanent physical and mental damage. Even minimum wage blue-collar positions had rejected him after taking one look at his cane and battered body.

The look on Stephen's face had mirrored almost eerily an expression Todd had met in Kris's eyes they day after her father passed away--tired, lost, confused. Todd had approached the young man, assessed his trouble, and offered him a position at the lodge. If anything, he had been encouraged by Stephen's honestly. The young man had ensured that Todd knew the details of his past. Nonetheless, Todd had never regretted hiring him. He had watched Stephen carefully the first few months, and he had seen the man's dedication--the way he was fighting to turn his life around. So Todd had taken him at face value and recognized and admired the incredible effort Stephen was making to move past his mistaken actions and make a new life for himself. He had continued to keep an eye on the young man, not to assure he was keeping in line but to catch the troubles before they came. Todd had been the first to offer his support as well as a week of vacation when Stephen had his first breakdown after the assault. And as he had hoped, Stephen had progressively become better. Now, ten years since Todd had first met the broken teenager at his church, he couldn't imagine the lodge without him.

message 7: by κίρστεν (Kirsten), AWESOME STUPID LLAMA FACE (new)

(Leo who doesnt have a character form and is just showing up randomly because I decided to have him show up) Todd ~Stephen, Jes, Nat, and Andy
((Or I could've just said Leo & Everybody))

"Uncle Stephen!" Todd heard the sound of his little son's footsteps before the boy squeezed through the partially open door of the office grinning. Stephen had been at the lodge for a year already when Erin was born. Neither of Todd's children knew what life was like without Stephen around. Leo, in the usual manner of a six year old, admired Stephen unconditionally.

Leo scooted across the room and held up his new toy for inspection--a small rubix cube.
"Look! Mom got this for me. 'Cept I got it all mixed up."

Todd turned a glance on Andrea. He could see the tension in her shoulders and her wandering eyes, like she was trying to think about anything but the storm outside. He put a hand on her shoulder.
"I'm going to close up the office. Any search party we send out now would only get lost in the storm." He shook his head. "We'll send a search early tomorrow if we don't get a hold of them." He offered Andy what he hoped was a reassuring smile. "They'll be alright. They'll stick together and find shelter. We'll probably have them trouping in dumping snow all over the lodge floor tomorrow."

message 8: by yojharobed || I have no sword. I don't need a sword. Because I am the Doctor and this is my spoon. En garde!, I'll run the risk of being intimate with brokenness. (last edited Aug 22, 2012 07:53PM) (new)

Jessi~Stephen and Leo
Jessi smiled fondly, watching Stephen interact with the young boy. He's so good with kids, she thought, loving that about him. She knelt beside Stephen. "Hey, Leo!" she said brightly. "Can I have a hug?" She grinned as Stephen explained the puzzle to Leo. "Now you have Leo into puzzles like you!" she teased Stephen, grinning.

((I'll do the rest later, I have to go =D))

message 9: by κίρστεν (Kirsten), AWESOME STUPID LLAMA FACE (new)

Leo grinned, happy to be the center of attention for both Jessi and Stephen, and obligingly gave Stephen's friend a hug. He held up his cube for Jessi to see.
"Uncle Stephen has one of these--a big one." Todd, who had stepped past Nat and Andy to join the three, smiled and ruffled his son's hair.
"We'll invite Uncle Stephen over for dinner tomorrow, alright? He can help you with the cube then." He could see that Stephen had been in the middle of a conversation with Jes. He picked Leo up and suppressed an amused grin as Stephen pulled Jes over to his office to show her some of his puzzles. He didn't know if Jes noticed the cane, but he certainly had. Todd nearly always noticed when Stephen had had one of his worse nights. He'd seen the tell-tale signs that morning and had been keeping an eye on Stephen when he could. He didn't want to push, but there were times when he really wished Stephen would let him--and others--help him more. Jes, he knew for certain, cared deeply about him and would do anything she could if only she knew. But it wasn't his place to tell her.
"Stephen," he called, stopping at the door to the office, "Drop by my office before you leave." He set a squirming Leo down again and followed him back to Andy and Nat again.

message 10: by yojharobed || I have no sword. I don't need a sword. Because I am the Doctor and this is my spoon. En garde!, I'll run the risk of being intimate with brokenness. (last edited Aug 22, 2012 08:09PM) (new)

Nathan~Andrea
Nat saw a chance to spend time with Andrea, and he jumped on it. "I'll stay late with you," he offered casually. "After all, some of the dogs are mine." He waited, hoping that she wouldn't mind. He wanted to talk to her, get to know her better, maybe even ask her out? Who knows...He turned as Leo ran into the office, and he smiled. Todd's kids were so sweet, and he loved to play with them. "Hey, big guy!" he said, kneeling down to be nearer Leo's height. "Whatcha got there?"

Jessi~Stephen
Jessi grinned at his suggestion that she try a puzzle. He was so cute, the way he was all shy yet excited, all at once. She laughed as he grabbed her hand and tugged her into the office, pulling her over to his desk. "Alright, alright, I'm coming," she teased, missing the touch of his hand as he moved forward and grabbed the cane that had been leaning against his desk, shoving it quickly underneath. Wait...a cane? What was Stephen doing with a cane? She wasn't sure if she should say something, since he obviously was hiding it, but...she did want to know. "Stephen?" she said hesitantly. "Is-is something wrong with your leg or something?" She watched him as he looked through his drawer, wondering what his reply would be. As she waited, she admired the firm muscles of his back. (XD)

Nathan~Andrea
Nat looked up as Andy answered his question, and he smiled. "Great," he replied simply. Oh gosh...what am I going to say? I hope she doesn't think I'm too forward or anything... A thousand things ran through his brain at once, and he had to forcibly keep himself from grinning and shouting "Yahoo!" (lol) Which was totally not like him. So he knew that Andy was different from anyone he had ever known.

Jessi~Stephen
He obviously didn't want to talk about it, so Jessi decided to honor his wishes and let it go. "Okay..." she said. She moved to his side, crowding his space, and glanced into the drawer he was rifling through. "Wow," she breathed. She shoved his shoulder playfully. "You, sir, are a complete and total Polymath!"

((Ash, you going to bring in Thomas?))

((Okay =D))
Nathan~Andrea
(we need to have conversation!!! O.o)
Nat checked his watch as he covered a yawn. "Its getting pretty late, everyone should be heading out pretty soon." (she can ask how he read her mind...just trying to think of stuff to talk about lol!) He caught her smirked and smiled. He has to admit, she had the most gorgeous smirk that he had ever seen.

Jessi~Stephen
Jessi studied Stephen's grinning face and thought about how incredibly cute he was. Now that is a face that I could wake up to for the next 50 years, she thought, than wondered where on earth that thought had come from. He wasn't even interested in her for goodness sake! She smiled. "I agree, but I guess we just like to have fun thinking about different things!" She wrinkled her nose, as she often did when she was thinking hard about something. "I was wondering...Do you like to play basketball?"

((IKR! No, you're just fine! =D Why doesn't Stephen like basketball? He has to like it!!! Puh-leeeeeez? *bats big baby browns* XD))

Nat~Andrea
Nat grinned, amused. "Did I, really?" he asked curiously. "Let me see, I started what? 2 years before you? Yeah, that sounds about right." He stood up and stretched, putting Roxy down. "We should go and feed the hikers' dogs," he suggested.

Lisa
Lisa packed her stuff into her big leather tote and stood up, preparing to leave. Across from her, she saw Thomas stand up and get ready to go as well. She saw him glance over at Andy and Nat talking together, and narrowed her eyes as she noticed that he was glaring at Nathan. What's his deal? she wondered. Oh yeah, he likes Andy. Can't he see that she likes Nat? And he likes her? Can't he just give up on Andrea already, and move on? she thought wistfully.

message 14: by κίρστεν (Kirsten), AWESOME STUPID LLAMA FACE (new)

(Leo) Todd~Andrea and Nat
"Can I come?" Leo butted in eagerly, looking up at Nat and giggling when one of the dogs nuzzled a wet nose into his hand and sniffed him curiously. He shoved the rubiks cube in his pocket and scratched the dog happily behind its ear.

message 15: by yojharobed || I have no sword. I don't need a sword. Because I am the Doctor and this is my spoon. En garde!, I'll run the risk of being intimate with brokenness. (last edited Aug 23, 2012 08:17PM) (new)

Nat~Andrea, Leo and Todd
Nat smiled. "I would love for you to come, little man," he said, only lying a little bit. "But isn't it about time for you to head home for dinner? I wouldn't want to miss your mother's amazing cooking if I were you..." he patted Leo's tummy and raised a brow, hoping that the boy would take the hint.

((Thankies! =D))
Stephen~Jessi
"Kind of, actually," Stephen said and leaned back and narrowed his eyes, wondering why she had been thinking about it. "Why?"
He paused to pull out what he thought would be a perfect brain teaser for her and pushed it into her hands. "You should try that one out. It's fun."

Jessi~Stephen
Jes grinned. "Just wondering," she said lightly. "I like to play, especially late night games, and I just happen to know of a court in (the nearby town...) that is open all night, and...well, I was wondering if you would be interested in a little one-on-one?" She took the puzzle he handed her and studied it. "Okay..." she said quizzically. "What do I do?"

message 17: by κίρστεν (Kirsten), AWESOME STUPID LLAMA FACE (new)

(Leo) Todd~Nat and Andrea

"You spent all day with the dogs." Todd said, squeezing Leo's shoulder. "C'mon little guy. It's time for you to head home." Leo scowled at his dad.
"I'm not little. I'm almost as tall as Erin."
"Alright, alright." Todd chuckled, steering Leo int the cubicle next to his office. "I need to talk to Uncle Stephen before we go, alright? You can play minesweeper on the computer if you want." Leo didn't need to be told twice. His face lit up with a grin and he pulled up the game on the computer right away as Todd returned to his office with a brief glance at Nat and Andy still sitting and talking by Andy's desk. Ah well. It'd never interfered with their work. He shook his head with a smile and ducked into the office.

message 18: by yojharobed || I have no sword. I don't need a sword. Because I am the Doctor and this is my spoon. En garde!, I'll run the risk of being intimate with brokenness. (last edited Aug 25, 2012 07:45PM) (new)

Nat~Andrea
((Nat, or Leo? =D))
Nat smiled. "Sounds like a plan," he agreed. She is so good with kids. They all love her-no, everyone who knows her loves her. They can't help themselves, she is so incredible! He thought for a moment, then casually offered her his hand. "Let's go!" he said with a grin.

Jessi~Stephen
"Actually, I was thinking tonight," Jessi said hesitantly. "Would that work for you?" She stared at the puzzle. "So, help me out here," she laughed. "What do I do?"

Lisa~Thomas
Wow, what a snoot. I like him, but I'm not going to fall all over myself trying to get him to notice me. I can be just as cold as he can. She nodded back. "Night, Thomas," she replied, looking away.

((Sorry its so short, I was trying to be quick...=D))

message 19: by yojharobed || I have no sword. I don't need a sword. Because I am the Doctor and this is my spoon. En garde!, I'll run the risk of being intimate with brokenness. (last edited Aug 28, 2012 06:13PM) (new)

Nathan~Andrea
Nat whistled and Roxy and Kenai trotted to his side and followed him out to the kennel. Nat accepted the can of dog food and slid open the door to Jasmine's cage. "Hey, girl," he crooned, ruffling her ears as he shook some food into her bowl. "Are you missing Amber? Don't worry, she'll be back soon." He glanced up at Andy and grinned self-consciously. "Yeah, I talk to the dogs like they're people," he said with a smile.

Jessi~Stephen
"Awesome!" she said happily. She blushed slightly as he leaned over her shoulder, invading her space to show her how to do the brain teaser. She breathed in the smell of his cologne and smiled softly. "I'll work on it while I wait for you," she added.

Lisa~Thomas
Lisa paused, her heart racing, when he said her name. She turned her head to look at him. "Yes?" she asked softly. She blinked, wondering what he would say.

message 20: by κίρστεν (Kirsten), AWESOME STUPID LLAMA FACE (new)

Todd~Stephen

Todd didn't need to see Stephen's face to know that he was uneasy. He always knocked when he was nervous. Todd nudged the door open the rest of the way with one foot and looked up at Stephen.
"You didn't go home last night, did you?" He caught a glimpse of Stephen's face and sighed. "You don't have to answer that." he amended quickly, getting up. "Listen--I won't interfere if you don't want help, but... I'm asking as your friend, not your boss. Don't be a martyr. If you need anything, you know Melissa and I are always happy to help."

((Oh yeah...duh...*facedesk* edited! =D))

Jessi~Stephen
Jessi called, "Okay," as Stephen went into Todd's office. She concentrated on the brain teaser, sliding the metal pieces around each other to try and get them apart. She bit her lip, as she always did when she was concentrating on something. She was standing by the office door, and she heard Todd and Stephen talking. She started to move away, not wanting to eavesdrop, but some of their words caught her attention, and she frowned, forgetting the puzzle in her hand and listening to the snatches of conversation she could hear. "...didn't go home last night, did you?...don't be a martyr..."...doctors have tried...something happened during the assault...can't fix it...yet another flashback...part of my life..." Jessi gasped softly and walked a few steps away, her eyes wide. What was wrong with Stephen? Was that what the cane was for? Why hadn't he told her? She blinked, and looked down at her hands, seeing the brain teaser. That's why he is always doing these, she realized. Her friend who she lived with had an uncle who had brain damage from an accident, and he was always doing puzzles to help his condition and concentration. She slipped the metal pieces apart and smiled sadly. Why couldn't you just tell me, Stephen. I would've understood.

Lisa~Thomas
Lisa blinked. He should be embarrassed. "Why, thank you, Thomas," she said, with a charming smile. "You have a good night, too."

message 22: by κίρστεν (Kirsten), AWESOME STUPID LLAMA FACE (last edited Aug 28, 2012 08:42PM) (new)

((Sure. Fine by me if she hears. ^^ ))

Todd~Stephen

Holding up a hand, Todd shook his head lightly.
"I know, I know." he said. "And I do trust you. I hope you know that." He paused, trying to think of the best way to put what he wanted to say. "Stephen... you just..." he frowned a bit. "You have a way of trying to deal with your problems by yourself--like you don't want to trouble us with them. I'm not trying to fix you. I understand that some of the things you're facing may be a permanent part of your life. I'm just saying," he grinned apologetically, "At the risk of sounding terribly cliched, you don't need to face them alone. We may not be your blood relatives, but we're the family God gave you, and we're here to support you, just as He is." He clapped the younger man on the shoulder. "Think about it, alright? I don't want to pressure you."

Lisa~Thomas
Lisa held back a smirk. He was really embarrassed. "Well...what do you mean?" she asked quizzically.

Nathan~Andrea
Nat smiled. "Exactly!" he agreed. "That's precisely how I feel!" He bent down and rubbed his Roxy's ear fondly. "I don't know what I'd do without my two kids...I mean, my dogs," he stammered. Being in Andy's presence tied his tongue in knots and made him say things that he totally didn't mean to.

((So...how long is it going to take Thomas to figure out that Andy likes Nat, not him? Cuz Lisa gets impatient easily...=D))

((haha good =D))

Lisa~Thomas
Lisa raised an eyebrow. She had one bag-why would she need help? Then again...if he wanted to voluntarily spend time with her, she wasn't about to say no! She dipped her head and smiled. "That would be...nice," she replied. "Thank you." She handed him her bag and grabbed a stack of papers from her desk that she wanted to take home.

Nathan~Andrea
Nat rolled his neck. It was sore from a long day bent over a computer. "Well, Roxy and Kenai, of course," he replied easily. "Then I have two horses, a black and white Paint mare named Twilight Glory, and a big black Gypsy Vanner named Silver Fox." He glanced at Andy. "What about you? Do you have any others besides Andimar and Corazon?"

((Twi: http://i23.servimg.com/u/f23/14/33/86...
Fox: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KF1-tk-NOuo...))

message 25: by κίρστεν (Kirsten), AWESOME STUPID LLAMA FACE (last edited Aug 30, 2012 09:55PM) (new)

((I'm alive! xD I'm just busy. Sry. ^^))

Todd~Stephen

"Don't you?" Todd's voice rose slightly, half amused, half exasperated. "Stephen, if there's one thing I've learned from myself and Kris--even my brother--it's that people can be incredibly blind when it comes to their own problems. I'm not telling you to do anything. It's up to you, but I'm asking you as a friend to talk to someone. Me, Jes, Melissa, anyone--just don't be a lone wolf. I know people don't like to talk about the things they struggle with, but it honestly helps." He shrugged, wondering whether he was helping at all and wishing he knew what to say. "But I don't mean to keep you. Stay safe. Let me know if you need any time off. And stop by sometime for dinner. Our door's always open to you."

((I'll post in the pass tomorrow. G2g))

message 26: by yojharobed || I have no sword. I don't need a sword. Because I am the Doctor and this is my spoon. En garde!, I'll run the risk of being intimate with brokenness. (last edited Jun 16, 2013 12:18PM) (new)

Lisa~Thomas
Lisa stepped outside and pointed with her chin. "That one over there, the yellow VW Beetle." (Oscar: https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/im... XD) She walked over to it and set her things on top, unlocking the doors. She glanced at him. "Hey," she said slowly. "Are-are you doing anything tonight?"

Nathan~Andrea
Nat smiled. "Funny you should ask, I actually just bought a palomino mare named Golden Sunshine. She is absolutely gorgeous! And she is pregnant, by my Fox. The foal should be an interesting color," he chuckled. He raised a brow. "Zuwagam...what? Wow. That definitely sounds like your sister. Does it mean something in particular?"

message 27: by yojharobed || I have no sword. I don't need a sword. Because I am the Doctor and this is my spoon. En garde!, I'll run the risk of being intimate with brokenness. (last edited Nov 25, 2012 09:41PM) (new)

((Sorry!!! I've been super busy with Thanksgiving and Black Friday and stuff!!!! :/ ))

-enter Nat-

Nat pulled his coat tighter as he pulled into the parking lot. He grabbed his bag and hurried into the lodge, smiling as he found the door unlocked and the heater turned on. Andy must be here already, he thought happily. "Andrea?" he called as he pulled off his heavy coat and turned on the computers. "You here?"

((Sorry for the incredibly unimaginative post, I haven't RPed in AGES :/ ))

message 28: by κίρστεν (Kirsten), AWESOME STUPID LLAMA FACE (last edited Nov 25, 2012 09:47PM) (new)

((Haha It's alright I haven't either. :P We're glad you're back!! :))

-enter Todd-

Todd let out a breath and relaxed as he trudged in the door and instantly felt the change in temperature. It really was frigid out there.
"Hey Nat." he greeted as he passed the employee in the hallway. He leaned over his desk and flicked the radio and headed into the next room to brew a pot of coffee. 'The Maniraks accumulated four and a half inches of snowfall over the night...' Todd paused in his preparations, lifting his head, one hand still in the bag of coffee grounds, and the room suddenly felt strangely cold despite the mini-heater he'd flicked on which was humming down by his feet. 'The pass has been blocked by a massive avalanche and rock-slide... Todd let the bag go and walked slowly back around the corner, now listening completely to the damage report. He reached for the portable radio-communicator on his desk and punched the call button much harder than necessary. He listened to the crackle of the radio for a moment before setting it down on the desk and sinking into his office chair. They're fine. They would have contacted if there were any problems, he told himself, only-half hearing as the radio changed from weather to commercials. He finally flicked the radio off and turned to his computer, coffee forgotten. He would keep checking the communicator until the hikers came back into range and make sure they were alright. He had to get a hold of them sometime soon.

message 29: by κίρστεν (Kirsten), AWESOME STUPID LLAMA FACE (new)

((Ugh... long story. I'll try to send you an email. I'm seriously unhappy about it. :P But anyways, don't let me rain on any parades! I'm glad school's started again. I'm a really weird person and I missed it ridiculous amounts. Plus, I'll finally get my Latin midterm grade back tomorrow!!! *fingers crossed*))

Todd followed Andy's gaze and spotted the coffee bag on the ground. Whoops. He bent to pick it up.
"Weather." he said curtly. He sighed and scooped up a handful of the spilled grounds. "There was an avalanche yesterday in the pass." He scowled. "No word from the hikers. The reception's out." He sat down and ran a hand across his face, already tired, and tried to shake off the growing unease.

message 30: by κίρστεν (Kirsten), AWESOME STUPID LLAMA FACE (new)

The open concern in Andy's face made Todd hesitate. He glanced up at her for a moment and quashed the sick feeling of worry growing in his chest. He had no news yet. There was no reason to frighten everybody.
"Everything's fine." he told Stephen pulling himself together and crouching down to scrape the last of the coffee off the rug and into the trash. "The hikers are just out of range right now. We'll check in with them in an hour or two."

Nat came out, hearing worried voices. "Umm, guys? Whats up, is something wrong?" He frowned at the look on Stephen's face. "Have we heard something from the hikers?" He crossed over to stand next to Andy, nodding hello to Stephen, and leaned against the desk.

-enter Jessi-
Jes opened the door, letting in a rush of cold air, and called out, "Hey, everybody! Sorry I'm late! My car got stuck in the snow and-" She stopped abruptly as she entered the office and saw Todd, Andrea, Nathan, and Stephen clustered around talking. "What's going on?" she asked, hoping that nothing had happened to the hikers. Seeing Stephen reminded her of the conversation between him and Todd that she had heard part of the night before. She hadn't had a chance to talk to him about it when they had played basketball, but she knew that she would have to today. Jesus, please give me the words, and give Stephen the courage to talk about it.

message 32: by κίρστεν (Kirsten), AWESOME STUPID LLAMA FACE (new)

Todd sighed as Jessi joined the crowd, a puzzled expression on her face. He picked up the coffee bag and set it on the counter.
"The radio's out of range, Jes. Everything's fine, far as I know." He caught Jes's glance at Stephen and resisted the urge to grin at her. It was nothing short of a miracle that she'd gotten Stephen out of the office before nine. He almost always worked late.

((erm...what do we do? XD))

message 34: by κίρστεν (Kirsten), AWESOME STUPID LLAMA FACE (new)

((Todd's going to talk to Marc now. ^^ So I'm gonna start the post here and go to the Glacier thread. Then I'll come BACK to this thread when they're done talking.))

"Hmm, right. Thanks Andrea. See if she can come in tomorrow at eleven." He got to his feet and looked at the papers in Stephen's hands. "She could be good. Ivar started here at eighteen. Has she been on a hike with us..." He trailed off in mid-question, his attention caught suddenly by the radio he'd left on his desk. A soft static crackle was coming through the speakers, and over the static a voice was speaking words he couldn't quite make out. He felt like laughing. Of course they were alright. As if Ivar, Kris, Marc, and Julian wouldn't know how to avoid an avalanche. "Set up an interview," he concluded hurriedly to Andrea and returned hurriedly to his desk.
(Cont'd in Manirak Glacier Thread)

((Pretty picture (; ))

message 36: by κίρστεν (Kirsten), AWESOME STUPID LLAMA FACE (new)

((:D I know! Two pretty pictures. Ashby gets a high five for doing the time skip! ))

message 37: by κίρστεν (Kirsten), AWESOME STUPID LLAMA FACE (new)

The lodge was warm as Todd stepped inside and quickly shut the door against a snowy breeze.
"Morning!" he called, trudging across the lobby as he brushed the snow from his coat. No doubt Stephen was there somewhere. He always showed up early to work. He wouldn't be surprised if Andrea was there as well. Todd hung his coat on the hook of his office door and flicked the hikers' radio on. Still no reception. Todd sighed and left the radio on his desk to start up the coffee machine.

((Sorry, not super exciting. ^^))

Nat held the door open for Jessi as they came in together, rubbing their arms and stomping their feet briskly. "Morning, Todd," Nat called, knowing he would be there. "We heard anything from the hikers yet?"
Jes saw Stephen leaning out of his office and smiled happily. "Hey, Stephen," she said cheerfully. "How are you this morning?"

((Gah! When you have a post all written out, then your dad gets up and comes out and you have to scramble to exit your tab and lose your whole post because you're not supposed to be on your mom's iPad at 5:30 in the morning...! :/ hah. I almost could've rewritten my post with everything I just said...oh well. Post later! (: ))

((Heyy do either of you lovely ladies have instagram?))

message 41: by κίρστεν (Kirsten), AWESOME STUPID LLAMA FACE (new)

((Yupyup! I hardly ever post on it though!))

"Morning Jes, Nathan," Todd nodded to the newcomers. He chuckled as he returned his attention to Stephen. "Yes, Stephen here is aspiring to the position of Todd's personal reminder system. I'm going to start losing my memory if you keep it up. I don't even have to write things down anymore." He picked up the handheld radio set and turned it over in his hand. "I still haven't gotten a response from the hikers. I'll give it another shot after Thalia comes in."

Aѕнвy Grαce *ғαɳтαsყ* wrote: ""Morning Jes!" Stephen said happily and walked forward, giving her a quick hug. "I'm great, thanks!" he answered honestly. "Oh, I know you normally feed the dogs, but I got here early, so I took ca..."

((Ooookay, here we go!))

Jes hugged him back. "Awesome, thanks!" She replied. Her eyes twinkled. "Although I bet the dogs wish you hadn't told me. I'm sure that they would love getting breakfast twice!" At Stephen's comment about the new girl, she put on what Stephen laughingly called her 'deep thinking face' -lips pursed, eyes distant and a slight frown. "Huh," she said intelligently. She wasn't the best multi-tasker when it came to talking and thinking at the same time. Her face cleared up and she flashed a grin. "I'm sure it will be great," she agreed. "I am doing really well. Oscar only broke down once on the way here," she added, referring to her old VW Beetle with a rueful chuckle.

message 43: by κίρστεν (Kirsten), AWESOME STUPID LLAMA FACE (last edited Jun 17, 2013 09:28AM) (new)

"Oh, that's the way it is, eh?" Todd raised an eyebrow. "Just wait till you're over forty and we'll see how good your memory is." He shook his head in mock despair and turned to Jes. "See what we get? I'm too old for him and apparently we're all too boring. Stephen here just doesn't appreciate good friends when he sees them."

Jessi laughed. "See? This is why I love you all so much. You are just so amazing," she said, half teasing and three quarters serious. She turned to Todd, the smile leaving her face. "But in all seriousness, what do you think about the hikers? I mean, I really want them all to be okay, but I know that's not necessarily realistic. What-what is your opinion?" She knew that Todd had been doing this for long years, and she valued his opinion.

((So whats happening with Andy, Ash?))

message 45: by κίρστεν (Kirsten), AWESOME STUPID LLAMA FACE (new)

"See what I mean?" Todd gave Stephen a look of mock annoyance. "Now he's answering questions for me. Pretty soon I'll be useless." He smiled at Jes. "Don't worry about them. I've had years where some of the trips didn't call in until the third day. They'll be fine."

Jes smiled, relieved at their reassurance. "Okay then. I trust you guys and your opinions and experience. I was just wondering what you thought about it. I know that the leaders and medics are all great and experienced and everything, I just...can't help but worry. It's what I do." She looked at Todd. "So, what would you like me to get started on?" She asked.
She knew that Todd and Stephen meant and believed every word they said-and that they weren't just trying to reassure her-but she couldn't help herself. She was just a worrier by nature.

((Replace her as Nat's girl, you mean?))

message 47: by κίρστεν (Kirsten), AWESOME STUPID LLAMA FACE (new)

Todd huffed.
"Alright, alright. Now, both of you out of my office. I've got this under control." He leaned across his desk and retrieved the little hand-held radio.
"Kris? Kris, this is the lodge. Come in please." Only radio static on the other end. Todd sighed and switched to another signal. "Marc? Can you hear me? This is the lodge. Come in, please, Marc."

((Deborah, you could just take this to the other thread if you want and start with Marc responding. ^^))

message 48: by κίρστεν (Kirsten), AWESOME STUPID LLAMA FACE (new)

((She's at camp I think. :))