Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > New PnR series recommendations?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by 2MiniMe (new)

2MiniMe | 9 comments I'm looking for new series to try. Ive read
-Night Huntress(absolute favorite)
-Kate Daniels(2nd Fave)
-Fever(3rd Fave)
-Guild Hunter
-Chicagoland Vampires
-Elemental Assassin
-Sccubus Blues(Spelt Wrong)
-Vampire Academy
-The Mortal Instruments
-Black Dagger Brotherhood
-Snookie Stackhouse
-Midnight Breeds
Any series similar to those and has action AND romance I would be happy to try.

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (mlpmombookreviewer) | 839 comments Grave Witch (Alex Craft, #1) by Kalayna Price
This is a great series, there are only two books so far but I recommend them!

Also this one has great reviews, I have only read the prequel but I loved it!

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones

message 3: by Katelynn (new)

Katelynn | 13 comments women of the underworld, start with bitten, awesome books kelli armstrong, and also try undead and unwed, histerical

message 4: by Katelynn (new)

Katelynn | 13 comments patricia briggs alpha and omegas and mercy thompson

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
The Bloodhound File series Dying Bites is number 1 in the series.

Also, on Katelynn's recommendation--the first book, Bitten is by far the weakest book in the series--and the only one that I actively HATED. The others are good.

And I will second ANYTHING by Patricia Briggs.

If you like some humour, try Lynsay Sands, Kerrelyn Sparks, Nina Bangs and anything by Shelley Laurenston.

message 6: by Lisa Anne (last edited Jun 14, 2012 09:34AM) (new)

Lisa Anne (lisamessegee) | 120 comments You listed mostly UF. Here are some PNR you might like if you liked Midnight Breed.
Psy-Changeling by Nalini Singh
Lords of the Underworld by Gena Showalter
Demonica and then Lords of Deliverance by Larissa Ione
Immortals After Dark by Kresley Cole
Dark-Hunter by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Sentinel Wars by Shannon K Butcher
Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling #1) by Nalini Singh The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld, #1) by Gena Showalter Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione Eternal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #1) by Larissa Ione A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #1) by Kresley Cole Night Pleasures (Dark-Hunter, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Burning Alive (Sentinel Wars, #1) by Shannon K. Butcher

message 7: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latashamd) | 71 comments This might be a totally stupid question, but can someone tell me the difference between UF and PNR? :) Thanks!

message 8: by Deana (new)

Deana (dstom) | 19 comments UF -> "Urban Fantasy" magic is always involved with any fantasy, and urban simply means that you're more than likely dealing with at least contemporary (as in, time = now) or future but in some city setting.
PNR -> "ParaNormal Romance" shifters, vamps, zombies, etc involved (that's the ParaNormal) and the Romance means there's either a Happily Ever After ("HEA") or a Happy For Now ("HFN") though with the HFN there's more than a decent shot at the HEA, you just don't get to read about it unless there's a sequel.

message 9: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latashamd) | 71 comments Holy cow, that's quite a code! Thanks :)

message 10: by Deana (last edited Jun 14, 2012 11:34AM) (new)

Deana (dstom) | 19 comments And on that note, I'll recommend the following PNR:
Anything by Shelly Laurenston/G.A.Aiken
The Magnus Pack series, start here:Pack Challenge (Laurenston)
the Pride series, start here: The Mane Event (Laurenston)
The Dragon Kin series, Dragon Actually (Aiken).

Anything by Laurenston/Aiken is worth reading, and usually very high on the entertainment scale as well!

[ETA]

Let's try this again:

I'm also a fan of anything by Lilith Saintcrow. My faves are the Jill Kismet: The Complete Series and Dante Valentine: The Complete Series. They're similar to the Kate Daniels series, but occasionally darker.

Oh, and you're very welcome. It's easy if you just think "fantasy = magic" (which is, I think, it's simplest reduction) and then you can break other stuff down from there. FYI, there's people who believe that HFN doesn't count as romance, but I'm not one of them.

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather Nicholson I also recommend Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson series and Alpha and Omega. Make sure you read Mercy first though so you have a better understanding of the characters and their world. I'd also recommend the Hollows series by Kim Harrison. It is my absolute fave! The Undead series is also really good by Mary Janice Davidson. She has a lot of laugh out loud moments in it too.

message 12: by PNR lover (new)

PNR  lover | 430 comments Dark Desire (Dark, #2) by Christine Feehan Christine Feehan Loved this series

Fated (Dark Protectors, #1) by Rebecca Zanetti Claimed (Dark Protectors, #2) by Rebecca Zanetti Tempted (Dark Protectors, #2.5) by Rebecca Zanetti Hunted (Dark Protectors, #3) by Rebecca Zanetti

Totally loved this series by Rebecca Zanetti

Fury of Fire (Dragonfury, #1) by Coreene Callahan Fury of Ice (Dragonfury, #2) by Coreene Callahan If you like dragons shifters.

Shadow Game (GhostWalkers, #1) by Christine Feehan Another series by Christine Feehan Ghostwalkers one of my favorites

Tiger (New Species, #7) by Laurann Dohner Love this series by Laurann Dohner

message 13: by Sandra J (last edited Jun 15, 2012 04:58AM) (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 451 comments Thea Harrison's Elder Races series is a lot of fun. Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison is the first. They're definitely PNR.

message 14: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Lipman (sharonlipmanauthor) | 56 comments I absolutely loved Larissa Ione's Demonica and Lords of Deliverance series. You need to read Demonica first as it leads into Lords of Deliverance.

Also, if you've read and like Nalini Singh'S Guildhunter, you should love her Psy Changeling series. I loved Guildhuter then read Psy Changeling and was blown away - I liked it much more than GH and that's saying something.

Happy reading!

message 15: by Allison (new)

Allison | 247 comments I second the recs for Alex Craft, Charley Davidson, Mercy Thompson and Psy-Changeling. You might also like the Riley Jenson books.

message 16: by Stacie (new)

Stacie H. (staciemh) | 75 comments Based off of your top favorites, I will say the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs, the Cassandra Palmer series by Karen Chance, and maybe the Riley Jenson series by Keri Arthur.

message 17: by Katya (new)

Katya | 645 comments Latasha wrote: "This might be a totally stupid question, but can someone tell me the difference between UF and PNR? :) Thanks!"

Urban fantasy (besides being set in an urban area)and being contemporary usually has aspects of fantasy in it. It may contain Vampires, Shifters, Fae or any number of things. But, although the story may contain some romantic aspects is not dependent on a HEA romance. PNR on the other hand depends on the romance between two characters and the struggle they undergo to get to the HEA. There is alot of grey area when dealing with UF and PNR.

message 18: by Katya (last edited Jun 15, 2012 05:52PM) (new)

Katya | 645 comments Vampires in America by D.B. Reynolds
Raphael (Vampires in America, #1) by D.B. Reynolds Jabril (Vampires in America, #2) by D.B. Reynolds Rajmund (Vampires in America, #3) by D.B. Reynolds Sophia (Vampires in America, #4) by D.B. Reynolds Duncan (Vampires in America, #5) by D.B. Reynolds Vampires in America The Vignettes, Volume 1 (Vampires in America, #5.5) by D.B. Reynolds Lucas (Vampires In America #6) by D.B. Reynolds

Scanguards Vampires by Tina Folsom
Samson's Lovely Mortal (Scanguards Vampires, #1) by Tina Folsom Amaury's Hellion (Scanguards Vampires, #2) by Tina Folsom Gabriel's Mate (Scanguards Vampires, #3) by Tina Folsom Yvette's Haven (Scanguards Vampires, #4) by Tina Folsom Zane's Redemption (Scanguards Vampires, #5) by Tina Folsom

Elemental Mysteries by Elizabeth Hunter
A Hidden Fire (Elemental Mysteries Book #1) by Elizabeth Hunter This Same Earth (Elemental Mysteries, #2) by Elizabeth Hunter The Force of Wind (Elemental Mysteries #3) by Elizabeth Hunter A Fall of Water (Elemental Mysteries Book #4) by Elizabeth Hunter

Graveyard Queen by Amanda Stevens
The Abandoned (Graveyard Queen #0.5) by Amanda Stevens The Restorer (Graveyard Queen #1) by Amanda Stevens The Kingdom (Graveyard Queen #2) by Amanda Stevens The Prophet (Graveyard Queen #3) by Amanda Stevens

Eternal Guardians by Elisabeth Naughton
Marked (Eternal Guardians, #1) by Elisabeth Naughton Entwined (Eternal Guardians, #2) by Elisabeth Naughton Tempted (Eternal Guardians, #3) by Elisabeth Naughton Enraptured (Eternal Guardians, #4) by Elisabeth Naughton Enslaved (Eternal Guardians, #5) by Elisabeth Naughton

Sentinel Wars by Shannon K. Butcher
Burning Alive (Sentinel Wars, #1) by Shannon K. Butcher Finding the Lost (Sentinel Wars, #2) by Shannon K. Butcher Running Scared (Sentinel Wars, #3) by Shannon K. Butcher On the Hunt (Includes Sentinel Wars #3.5, Nightkeepers #5.5, Gods of Midnight, #4.5) by Gena Showalter Living Nightmare (Sentinel Wars, #4) by Shannon K. Butcher Blood Hunt (Sentinel Wars, #5) by Shannon K. Butcher Bound by Vengeance (Sentinel Wars, #5.5) by Shannon K. Butcher Dying Wish (Sentinal Wars, #6) by Shannon K. Butcher

Awakened by Blood by Marie Treanor
Blood on Silk (Awakened by Blood, #1) by Marie Treanor Blood Sin (Awakened by Blood, #2) by Marie Treanor Blood Eternal (Awakened by Blood, #3) by Marie Treanor

New Species by Laurann Dohner
Fury (New Species, #1) by Laurann Dohner Slade (New Species, #2) by Laurann Dohner Valiant (New Species, #3) by Laurann Dohner Justice (New Species, #4) by Laurann Dohner Brawn (New Species, #5) by Laurann Dohner Wrath (New Species, #6) by Laurann Dohner Tiger (New Species, #7) by Laurann Dohner Obsidian (New Species, #8) by Laurann Dohner Shadow (New Species, #9) by Laurann Dohner

message 19: by Nina (new)

Nina (msralways) | 515 comments Katya wrote: "Vampires in America by D.B. Reynolds
Raphael (Vampires in America, #1) by D.B. ReynoldsJabril (Vampires in America, #2) by D.B. ReynoldsRajmund (Vampires in America, #3) by D.B. ReynoldsLady Sophia's Lover (Bow Street Runners, #2) by Lisa KleypasThe Search (Eve Duncan, #3) by Iris JohansenVampires in America The Vignettes, Volume 1 (Vampires in America, #5.5) by D.B. Reynolds[bookcover:Lu..."

I second the Elemental Mysteries series, which is pretty amazing in it of itself and the New Species series. :)