Historical Fictionistas discussion

Four Sisters, All Queens
This topic is about Four Sisters, All Queens
Featured Author Group Reads > FA Group Read #5- Four Sisters, All Queens by Sherry Jones (Non-Author Participation)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (last edited Jun 13, 2012 06:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2424 comments Feel free to discuss here without any author interaction.

If you don't mind author interaction feel free to comment in this thread.

Remember to mark all spoilers!

-------------------

Book Description:
From the award-winning author of the controversial international bestseller The Jewel of Medina, a historical novel that chronicles the lives of four sisters, all daughters of Beatrice of Provence—all of whom became queens in medieval Europe. When Beatrice of Savoy, countess of Provence, sends her four beautiful, accomplished daughters to become queens, she admonishes them: Family comes first. As a result, the daughters—Marguerite, queen of France; Eleanor, queen of England; Sanchia, queen of Germany; and Beatrice, queen of Sicily—work not only to expand their husbands’ empires and broker peace between nations, but also to bring the House of Savoy to greater power and influence than before. Their father’s death, however, tears the sisters apart, pitting them against one another for the legacy each believes rightfully hers—Provence itself.

Told from alternating points of view of all four queens, and set in the tumultuous thirteenth century, this is a tale of greed, lust, ambition, and sibling rivalry on a royal scale, exploring the meaning of true power and bringing to life four of the most celebrated women of their time—each of whom had an impact on the history of Europe.
-------------------------------------------------

Just a reminder that Sherry is doing a giveaway for her book!! :)
To get a free signed copy enter by signing up for her newsletter OR by subscribing to her blog: http://authorsherryjones.com. Giveaway ends June 22, so hurry!

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne Ipsen | 121 comments I just got this book from the library and will start it tonight. However, I just finished the author's 'Jewel of Medina' which I did not care for, so I am skeptical whether I'll like this on any better.

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2424 comments Anne, have you finished it yet?

None of the libraries here have it and when I went to B&N they didn't have it either, so I'll have to order it on my Nook once I finish up my current reads.

message 4: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Gleeson I couldn't get it at any bookshop I went to and so I had to download it. I've only just started it since I've been away for 10 days.

message 5: by ★ gwiz ★ (last edited Jul 03, 2012 01:25PM) (new) - added it

★ gwiz ★ (ggwiz) | 3 comments When I joined Historical Fictionistas just a couple of weeks ago I hadn't heard of "Four Sisters, All Queens" but it sounded just like a book I would love to read. I check Pikes Peak Library System and it has all of Sherry Jones books except her new one "Four Sisters, All Queens." I requested Inter Library Loan and it was canceled. So I have make a request for it to be purchased by PPLD. However, that will take time. I might be first on the list to read it but it may take up to 6 months before I see it. Thank you for showing my this author as I have her other books now on the hold shelf for me to pick up on my way through town tomorrow :-D

message 6: by Sarah Louise (new)

Sarah Louise (keytan) mines in at the library right now. i'm picking it up tomorrow

Rue  | 7 comments Ha, it just came in to the library for me, so I guess I'm a little behind!

message 8: by Anne (new)

Anne Ipsen | 121 comments I'm afraid I didn't enjoy it very much. Too many queens/povs for my poor brain to keep track of and I'm tired of reading about whiny, selfish royalty.

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2424 comments I still need about 40 pages to finish. I like it, though agree there are many characters to keep track of. I know a character log is given, but with an ebook it's really hard to flip back and fourth.

The only queen I find annoying me right now is Margi every time she raises the Tarascon issue. LET IT GO ALREADY! >:O I wish Beatrice would just tell her why she's not getting it so they can both move on.

★ gwiz ★ (ggwiz) | 3 comments Jackie wrote: "I still need about 40 pages to finish. I like it, though agree there are many characters to keep track of. I know a character log is given, but with an ebook it's really hard to flip back and fourt..."

Not sure if you are able to do this but, when I start a ebook I highlight all the chapters, contents, etc. And I also will highlight a line in the text when I have ended reading. This allows me to flip back and forth and not lose my place in the book. When I continue reading I unhighlight where I had finished reading and will put a new one whenever I need it. Could also do a bookmark. But I like the text highlight.

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2424 comments It was really my pure laziness that messed me up. I have the same method as you where I highlight the glossary section, etc. before reading so I can flip back easily. I didn't do it this time and already had quite a few passages highlighted in the chapters themselves with notes. So I didn't want to go back and redo it.

Honestly, it wasn't that big of a deal. However, once in awhile a minor character would come up and I couldn't remember where they were from.