You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed Discussion Topic > February Book Nominations - NOW CLOSED!!

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny, Group Creator - Honorary Moderator (last edited Jan 09, 2009 05:02AM) (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments Time to nominate your chosen books for February. Our theme is banned/controversial books. If you lead last month then it is up to you whether or not you choose to nominate this month. Heather has kindly requested that we don't read books with ghosts in this month, so bear that in mind when your nominating. Cheers me dears!

If you can give me

The title, the author

Brief description of the book

and whether or not you would be happy to lead the discussion.

That would be great :)

One nomination per person please. Thank you!

You have 3 days to nominate!

message 2: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) Satanic verses by salman rushdie

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather (hpduck) | 354 comments Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I could lead this discussion

message 4: by Kipahni (new)

Kipahni | 144 comments Does it need to be currently banned or can it be something that was banned in the past?

message 5: by Cecily (last edited Jan 10, 2009 08:26AM) (new)

Cecily | 576 comments Kipahni wrote: "Does it need to be currently banned or can it be something that was banned in the past?"

I think anything currently banned could be problematic - how would we get copies?!

I've recently started Lolita ... very cleverly written in terms of how Humbert Humbert analyses himself and justifies his behaviour (so lots of potential discussion points) and pretty uncomfortable reading too, but interesting nevertheless. If people wanted to read that, I guess I could lead.

message 6: by Kipahni (new)

Kipahni | 144 comments CFSR-lol, but not every place ban's the same books.A school library may ban harry potter but I can go to barns and noble to buy it.

message 7: by Jenny, Group Creator - Honorary Moderator (last edited Jan 12, 2009 12:59AM) (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_...

There's a list here of loads of banned books.

Alice are you willing to lead the discussion on the book you've nominated?

1 more day to nominate. I need a few more nominations if we're going to read two books this month.

message 8: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) um no i think i'd rather not if that was ok? sorry!

message 9: by Jenny, Group Creator - Honorary Moderator (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments Unless someone is willing to do it for you I may have to remove it. Sorry :S

message 10: by Jenny, Group Creator - Honorary Moderator (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments Actually as the theme is banned or controversial books, they do not need to have been banned on a large scale. If you wanna nominate Harry Potter Kiphani you can :)

message 11: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) i'll do it if no one else wants to. do we definitely have to have two books? isn't better just to have two books if there is a high demand for two?

message 12: by Jenny, Group Creator - Honorary Moderator (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments I think the majority of people who replied to my thread earlier on in the week liked the idea of having two books.

If I don't get anymore nominations though, it will have to be just the one for this month.

message 13: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 576 comments So which of the suggestions is current front runner, or will we vote?

message 14: by Jenny, Group Creator - Honorary Moderator (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) | 846 comments I'll put it to a poll this evening!

message 15: by Kipahni (new)

Kipahni | 144 comments okay GOOD I wanted to nominate the handmaids tale by margret attwood, although it is not banned, though it was from a few libraries, it was considered a one of the most controversial books during 1990's

This distopia tale follows a woman named Offred, who's soul position in life is to provide offspring. It takes place in a tolitarian society where women are no longer allowed to read.

I have not read the book but I would be happy to lead it.

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Butland (httpwwwgoodreadscomprofiles_b) I'd like to nominate The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall, banned for portraying lesbianism as normal.

The Well of Loneliness is a 1928 lesbian novel by the English author Radclyffe Hall. It follows the life of Stephen Gordon, an Englishwoman from an upper-class family whose "sexual inversion" (that is, homosexuality) is apparent from an early age. She finds love with Mary Llewellyn, whom she meets while serving as an ambulance driver in World War I, but their happiness together is marred by social isolation and rejection, which Hall depicts as having a debilitating effect on inverts. The novel portrays inversion as a natural, God-given state and makes an explicit plea: "Give us also the right to our existence". (extract from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Well...)

I think this will be an interesting read in terms of the changing portrayal of homosexuality. And I'd be very happy to lead a discussion on it!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.