Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Spoiler Talk on Books We've Read > Gone Girl SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3589 comments so i just finished reading gone girl. i loved the beginning - the way the author set up the story, moving from his perspective, to what we assume is her perspective. kept me reading quickly to see what would happen. i was convinced that "he done it". then we get to part two and find out that amy is still alive and has manipulated everything. spent over a year planning to frame her husband for her murder. so after she reached out to what's his name (see, i forgot already) who basically imprisons her in his estate, she decides to really kill him and go back to her husband. THEN, using his frozen sperm she gets pregnant and HE STAYS WITH HER. what the heck is wrong with him? i seriously expected the cops to figure out what she had done and arrest her- or that he'd murder her, or she'd kill him in his sleep. the ending just left me going, huh? maybe in some twister world, that would really happen, but i just don't see him staying with her, knowing she was a murderer- as well as a "psycho bitch".
what did you think?

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1189 comments I just finished and, like you, thought for sure the police would figure everything out in the end or that Desi's mother would avenge him (actually I thought that the bedroom where she killed him would have had secret cameras since he seemed like the kind to record for later viewing).

I'll admit that I did not particularly care for "diary Amy" and from the beginning thought something was a bit off but liked, what I assume, was the "real Amy" much better even though she was a complete psycho. You have to admire her organizational skills and inner drive.

message 3: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3589 comments Sandi wrote: "I just finished and, like you, thought for sure the police would figure everything out in the end or that Desi's mother would avenge him (actually I thought that the bedroom where she killed him wo..."

thanks, sandi! i didn't like "diary" amy either. and i wonder how long it will take for one of them to kill the other one. what a twisted relationship.

message 4: by ???!!! (new)

???!!! | 6 comments Actually, the "diary Amy" got me so bored I almost stopped reading the book! I was thinking what happened to Gillian's writing cuz it was so not like her. Until I got to the real Amy and imsaid to myself " and that's more like it.". Couldnt stop after that.

message 5: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 180 comments Sherry wrote: "so i just finished reading gone girl. i loved the beginning - the way the author set up the story, moving from his perspective, to what we assume is her perspective. kept me reading quickly to see ..."

Well, I knew it couldn't be the "obvious" - that her husband killed her - so I was expecting a twist and I began to suspect she wasn't dead pretty quickly. Although I entertained the thought that his dad killed her. I couldn't figure out what his role really was in the book other than explain Nick. I thought all the bitch stuff was about Amy, not his late ex-wife. It was all very twisted.
I actually, though, almost quit reading about 3/4 of the way into it because I got a little bored, after being very NOT bored early on.

message 6: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2963 comments By the end of the book, I did not particularly like either of them.

message 7: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3492 comments I'll be starting this book soon because the f2f book grp is reading it for december even though they aren't having the book meeting until some time in January. I didn't get to the last 2 book clubs nor read or finished the books so hopefully I'll get this one done in enough time that I'll remember and can go to the meeting. need to catch up with what I have started already then hopefully before the holidays I can start this one.

message 8: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3492 comments well I finished the book a day or two ago. and remembered the spoiler board so thought I would get over here and comment. I wasn't crazy with the way the tites went even though I liked how Amy's was a diary. I did my epubs copy and since I did it with ann and we emailed on chapters back and forth and she did the audio it wasn't easy then I sent her a copy of the epub and it was easier. we numbered the chapters. my problem is when I started the book it went to chapter 55 and I didn't realize it jumped until I was finished with the chapter and looked down. so I kind of knew what was going to end up happening. even though I tried to forget it. (note to self remember always look at the page number when reading a epub copy you never know what will happen) I started liking Nick then they changed and I never really liked amy too much.
how they would stay together I don't know. a part of me wants to see what happens years later nick and amy. have they killed each other yet or what. I'll probably rate the book 9 or 9 1/2. still decides on that. Hope I remember alot of things for the f2f book grp January 16th. I have my written notes and kept all the emails might go though them and print out soon haven't decided on that.
I'll have to check on book reporter to see if they is reader's questions because usually they have questions like that at the book grp so I want to go in prepared with some answers.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments .. adding to DonnaJo's comments, it was fun reading Gone Girl together. We shared what we thought every few chapters and the speculation was pretty wild as each chapter switch in point of view almost made your head spin.
I agree with Barry, it didn't take long for me to decide I didn't really like either of them. After that I settled in to speculate on which one was more dysfunctional.
The layers of deception and glimpses into when they were "happy" together in NYC enhanced the central story of he-said she-said, and kept me interested.
The plot device of alternating pov's and timelines was more effective in part one when the clues were being revealed, and even in part two, though that was rather different as we start to feel like we are in the room with then during a psychiatric session. By part three as they pick their way through deciding how to live afterwards and each chapter was tiny, the alternating POV chapters wore a little thin.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments There were so many different Amy's to compare and contrast: Amazing Amy, Perfect Amy, Cool Girl Amy, Diary Amy > Missing Amy to Ordinary Amy to Killer Amy and back to Diary / Fake but new Amy then to Future Mommy Amy. (a really scary thought!)
I felt bad for Detective Rhonda Boney, the rest of the characters were very hard to like or identify with (thank goodness!)
I found the last two chapters really strong in closing out the story and the evolution of Nick back to the husband Amy wanted to reassemble.

message 11: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3492 comments I felt at one point I was giving giving amy names. LOL. creepy amy, crazy amy. and I can't remember what other ones. I still haven't written up the journal entries.