Struggling Writers discussion

*Archives * > July 2012, The Golden Compass

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Hi guys! The monthly reads are back and we will be reading The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials #1) by Philip Pullman for July. Please join us as we dive into a world of magic and mystery with Lyra, a young girl who has to grow up fast if she is going to cope, and her damon Pan. They travel north to the Armored Bears and south to The River Indians. Lyra discovers more about her past and who her parents were and what a Golden Compass really is.

We will start on July first and I will post discussion questions the first friday for those of you speed readers (no harm in that, I myself am a quick reader) but if you don't read quickly don't feel rushed. I hope to have many of you join me!

message 2: by Grace (new)

Grace Jensen (panthercat38) | 10 comments YES! I just got this from the thrift! I'm in!

message 3: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Alright Grace, glad to know I won't be alone in my reading (well technically re-reading but who's counting?). I think you will like it if you like books like The Hunger Games series, The Abhorsen Series, Harry Potter, and other such series.

message 4: by Grace (new)

Grace Jensen (panthercat38) | 10 comments I've read the Hunger Games and Harry Potter and love them dearly! I hear wonderful things about this series, so I'm excited that I picked it up!

message 5: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Good, I read it a long time ago and am excited to be reading it again.

κίρστεν (Kirsten) (kirsten_j) | 32 comments I read this book already. But I'll definitely be hanging around to discuss it. :) Might even poke over to the library and nab a copy to breeze through again.

It's interesting. Note to any strongly religious people out there--it's rather anti-Christian once you get into it. I'm a Christian myself, but I still found it a very interesting fantasy universe and enjoyed the book for its creativity and uniqueness. Just thought I'd let you know!

message 7: by Irene (last edited Jun 15, 2012 07:45PM) (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments κίρστεν (Kirsten who loves Greek :) wrote: "I read this book already. But I'll definitely be hanging around to discuss it. :) Might even poke over to the library and nab a copy to breeze through again.

It's interesting. Note to any strongl..."

Thanks, for that point. I had forgotten about that as I don't really pay attention to religous points in books. Glad we will have another person joining us!

message 8: by Debbie (last edited Jun 16, 2012 08:34AM) (new)

Debbie (debbie_smith) | 22 comments κίρστεν (Kirsten who loves Greek :) wrote: "I read this book already. But I'll definitely be hanging around to discuss it. :) Might even poke over to the library and nab a copy to breeze through again.

It's interesting. Note to any strongl..."

As a person with strong religios beliefs I thought that too at one point and seriously considered not finishing it, but the further I read the more I realized that, by my perception, it was not christianity but society that it was talking about.

It is anti-structuristic (is that a word?). Basicly, it was against any authority that confines liberty to just a certain set of rules that they control. Christianity (biblically) does not do that even though some make you think that.

The book deals with those who would 'control' all things in a micromanagement way,(at least from my memory of reading it), similiar to the way Hitler or a cult works. They used christianity as a weapon for acceptance but went against everything it stands for.

message 9: by Irene (last edited Jun 16, 2012 02:31PM) (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Debbie wrote: "κίρστεν (Kirsten who loves Greek :) wrote: "I read this book already. But I'll definitely be hanging around to discuss it. :) Might even poke over to the library and nab a copy to breeze through ag..."

It is on the list for Banned books because it is seen that way but it is against control and depending on one sole thing (even if it is structure)

κίρστεν (Kirsten) (kirsten_j) | 32 comments Gosh... now I have to read it again. OK... opinion is on hold till I've got a copy now. ^^

message 11: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Alright :)

message 12: by L (new)

L I love Phillip Pullman and read his 'dark materials' trilogy when i was a child and loved them, hence since then they have been firm favourites that i have read & re-read again and again. I have to say that 'Northern lights' (aka. Golden Compass) is the one that i like the most, and feel that it is just more exciting than perhaps the others (the subtle knife and the amber spyglass).

I look forward to discussing one of my most well loved books and also having an insight on the film adaptation, that was also amazing.
Lucinda x

message 13: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Yay! Another one joining us :)

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 1 comments Grace brought me here to Goodreads and I'm so in. I've read the series twice but it's been a bit. I'm currently working my way through the Wheel of Time series (book 9...so close!), but it can be a bit arduous at times, and this will make a lovely break. Glad to be here!

message 15: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Great to have you Stephanie!

message 16: by Grace (new)

Grace Jensen (panthercat38) | 10 comments So far, I'm loving this! I usually give books a 1st Page Test. But I didn't even look up until the end of page five.
"What she saw next, however, changed things completely."
AAHH! So glad I'm reading this!

message 17: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Glad you are enjoying it Grace :)