Romance Audiobooks discussion

Audiobook Discussions > Cole's Immortals After Dark series - SPOILERS, SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lea's Audiobooks (last edited Jun 13, 2012 03:08PM) (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) I didn't listen to A Hunger Like No Other because I really, really disliked it in print. Now I'm listening to No Rest for the Wicked and having some problems.

I know there are many fans of this series here but I'm not one to favor Paranormal Romance. I have enjoyed a few series such as the Black Dagger Brotherhood (Ward) - a lot - and the Night Huntress (Frost) books (although I know that is urban fantasy romance - it all falls into the same category for me) and the Guild Hunter series (Singh). But most kick ass heroines don't work for me and I see one here. Nor do long battle competitions.

Is this a book-long battle? Is this a story in which the heroine is always stronger than the hero (3 hours in)? Or swaggering thinking she is? Does the hero always sound this puppy dog considerate?

I respect the tastes of others who have listened to these. Maybe this is just not for me?? Help!

I agree that Robert Petkoff is a wonderful narrator...

message 2: by Taria (new)

Taria Reed (tariar) | 137 comments tough to say really. they each have their strengths and weaknesses. Bowe has to protect Mari through most of the book, from outside dangers and sometimes from herself. I will say the big battle in this book isn't for Bowe to fight and i was ok with that. I like this series because the females are just as strong as the men and don't just sit in a corner whimpering waiting to be saved. I have no idea what the other books are like since they are coming out in audio slow as all hell, but I can't wait to find out.

mmmmmm...........Robert Petkoff makes all the guys in this series sound so damn hot!!

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Taria - are you possibly talking about the third in the series? I hear that is the best one. From what I can tell, No Rest for the Wicked is about Sebastian and Kaderin? If I'm wrong, that's the story I'm talking about.

I do admit, I like the hero to be slightly stronger...

message 4: by Taria (new)

Taria Reed (tariar) | 137 comments DUH!!!

Well in that case. I think Kad and Sebastian are equal in power. Sebastian is strong enough to let Kaderin be herself (stubborn and powerful) and not try to turn her in to a meek woman. He just wants her to be happy so if that means he falls back and let her lead then he's cool with that. Her weakness is him and her insecurities so she pulls her bravado around her and struts her stuff even harder. I really liked that book too.

I think each book I finish I find it's my fav in the series, but in reality I don't think I could ever choose a favorite book in that series (at least so far).

message 5: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. (benoibe) | 310 comments Lea, I think you should give it one more chance. Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night is really good. (it's about bowen and Mari the witch from the end of the race)
But don't give up on NRFW. It sets up Bowen's story.
I won't bug you too much though, I understand if it doesn't work for you. I waited a long time before to read all the BDBs (not until LovervReborn was released.. As this series continues, you might be prepared for another try.

message 6: by Susinok (new)

Susinok Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "I didn't listen to A Hunger Like No Other because I really, really disliked it in print. Now I'm listening to No Rest for the Wicked and having some problems.

I know there are many fans of this s..."

You know, Lea, it's perfectly fine to not like a series. I read Hunger Like No Other and thought it was juvenile, so I never moved on. I also like BDB and Frost and Guild Hunter. I didn't think Hunger Like No Other was in the same league as those and have not been tempted to continue.

message 7: by Brittany B. (last edited Jun 14, 2012 03:41AM) (new)

Brittany B. (benoibe) | 310 comments Susinok is 100% right. I'm sorry if Im over doing my cheerleading for the series. It's a great audio vs print. I'm happy you got to hear Robert Petkoff. But I am sorry if I nagged about it.

I have series that don't work for me no matter how much I want to like them. It seems everyone loves Psy-Changeling, but after the first book, they went downhill for me. I know I'm in a very small minority, but trying to force myself wasn't working. I stopped at book 4.

Different strokes... :)

message 8: by Lea's Audiobooks (last edited Jun 18, 2012 05:22PM) (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Brittany - I don't think you nagged at all! I love to hear enthusiastic and repeated recommendations! I often do so for books such as Brown's Envy and it didn't work for some others including Brenda. I think she was like me when trying the Cole series - okay I'll try if you say so...

message 9: by Brenda (last edited Jun 18, 2012 05:12PM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments I'm happy to be batting 50/50 with my recommendations to you Lea - or anybody else for that matter.

Turning you on to KMM's Fever series or someone else onto Ilona Andrews Kate Daniels and The Edge series is enough to make me keep trying. :)

Sebastian does an excellent job of kicking back, showing the strength under laid back eventually but I'll stick with Brittany and say that I'm glad you got to hear Robert Petkoff at the very least.

Call me Mary Sunshine but I'll take Kresley Cole over Sandra Brown any day. Books / authors that have heroes that play the heroine until the last chapter, or worse the last few pages will never be my thing. I need be part of the HEA at least for a little while for a book to be on my truly successful list. :P

But I do agree that Victor Slezak deserves all his narrator accolades, he's one of the best.

message 10: by Lea's Audiobooks (last edited Jun 18, 2012 05:31PM) (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Brenda - you are hitting a lot higher average than 50%. Just think, the Fever series, the Guild Hunter series, the Night Huntress series, and that's just the start! And although the Kate Daniels series was a little too graphic for me, I still greatly enjoyed it.

message 11: by Krissie (new)

Krissie | 224 comments Brittany B. wrote: "Susinok is 100% right. I'm sorry if Im over doing my cheerleading for the series. It's a great audio vs print. I'm happy you got to hear Robert Petkoff. But I am sorry if I nagged about it.

I ha..."

The Psy-Changeling are hit and miss. Some of the middle ones are great, some aren't. I think perhaps she might be writing too fast, but then, there's always that pressure.

message 12: by Krissie (new)

Krissie | 224 comments Brenda wrote: "I'm happy to be batting 50/50 with my recommendations to you Lea - or anybody else for that matter.

Turning you on to KMM's Fever series or someone else onto Ilona Andrews Kate Daniels and The Edg..."

Interesting. I definitely like the HEA with the hero and heroine to be close to the end. I want signs of it earlier, but the final resolution I want really final. That's the way I write 'em too -- you should probably avoid my books.

message 13: by Brenda (last edited Jun 19, 2012 02:06PM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments you should probably avoid my books.

Too funny since I regularly rave about your books here and at SOA. I've loved the majority of them for 20 years now - it's those "signs" of the HEA sprinkled throughout, knowing the hero is falling. You know ... like ... because he doesn't snap her neck when he knows he should or something like that. :)

Even if you can't see how that final resolution will possibly work out you feel it coming because you know he has softened toward that one woman.....

I guess I can't explain how my mind works in these matters clearly but your books work for me 90% of the time while the opposite holds true in the above case.

message 14: by Krissie (new)

Krissie | 224 comments Oh, I'm so glad. i try to make it clear, but I don't tend to a lot of "I love you's" at the end.

message 15: by Brittany B. (last edited Jun 19, 2012 01:49PM) (new)

Brittany B. (benoibe) | 310 comments Krissie, you're pretty much objectively beloved. You dont need to warn us to avoid your books. I always list Ruthless in my top 5. Way before I was a member of this site. :) (oh and I'm not always a Psy-Changleing fan either. I wish I were, I feel like I'm missing out)

And Lea: I'm going to think about it and make one more plea for IAD... To be continued :)

message 16: by Krissie (new)

Krissie | 224 comments Smooch!

message 17: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Krissie somewhere here I read the comparison of your books with Linda Howard's and that is much closer in my mind, just with heavier themes and much grittier (wanna kick them at least once) heroes. :)

Brittany if it was the 4th Psy/Changling in audio with all those long weird pauses and editing issues that turned you off the series, Mine to Possess was the worst of the bunch in that regard.

But if it's story line in general that you grew tired of - then?? I'm glad they still work for me, not as back to backs but in a good comfort read/listen when I'm in the mood.

As far as IAD, I've got your back - Robert Petkoff w/ Wicked Deeds on a Winters Night = a blissful listening experience. :D

message 18: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. (benoibe) | 310 comments Lea,
I reread your first message, and I had a shift of perspective. I think Susinok is still correct that the series may be not be right for you. The Valkyres are buttkicking girls, and they have quirks that can be annoying. Even I had trouble warming to them. This series is full of every type of paranormal creature imaginable, as the race in NRFTW demonstrates. (I'm reading one IAD with a Ghost of a Ballerina as the heroine. While it suits me, I understand that someone wouldn't like it) I am a fan of most PNR, so I'm an easy sell. I needed to see it from your point of view to "get it" and your message helped me. Your critisms are understandable and helpful actually: I've had another friend tell me she doesn't like IAD.

Naturally, I still would love for you to listen to Bowen's story: Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night. It's my favorite of the audiobooks so far bc of Petkoff's unbelievable performance with Bowen. He is most in need of an HEA...

As I mentioned, I get terribly frustrated with Psy-Changling books. Singh drags out the HEA too long for me. Also I recently heard a spoiler about the new twist to "mating for life" in the later books, and I'm firm now that I won't continue listening. I don't think less of anyone who enjoys it. In fact I don't know anyone who doesn't enjoy the series. So I definitely get it. I am stuck at the middle of book #4 and I doubt I'll continue anytime soon.

(if you change your mind, you can always talk Kresley Cole with me :)

message 19: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. (benoibe) | 310 comments Lol Brenda, please see the above message... We wrote at the same time. Take notice of the book I am stuck on. :) You are one hell of a sharp listener! Im really impressed.

As for whether it's the narration or the story, it's hard or me to separate the two. It was definitely Dawe's narration in book 4 that made it impossible to finish, but I was frustrated with book 3 as well. I loved the characters, but had to wait too long for their hookup. I feel like there was so much potential for that book. And Dawe's voice is "droid-like" to a fault sometimes, IMO. I wonder if it's her interpretation of the material that doesn't work for me.

Well now you know my darkest audiobook secret... I have issues with Singh and Dawe in book 3 and 4. (I'm going to get booed out if this group) Caressed By IceMine to Possess

message 20: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Ha, I'd have been booed out in the beginning if agreeing on each book or series was required around here. :)

But your correct in that so much is perspective when it comes to reading preference. I'd been reading romance for nearly 20 years when I tried my first PNR books. They were a huge breath of fresh air to me. So different and "out there" compared to everything I'd read previously.

Add that feeling of new discovery to the fact that Singh's Psy/Changeling series was one of the first I read and you can see they were new and unique to me - and not available in audio.

That said, book 4 is my least favorite and the very choppy editing when it comes to the audio didn't help.

I've yet to reach my "it all sounds the same" level with PNR given my late start on the genre and tendency to re-read/re-listen to favorites so I'm still enjoying the majority of it. :)

message 21: by Brittany B. (last edited Jun 20, 2012 01:36AM) (new)

Brittany B. (benoibe) | 310 comments My first pnr was the Fever series. About 2 years ago. I agree totally that it was a breath of fresh air. I def understand that special place for the first PNR.

Though I did read Anne Rice in college, I don't think of her work as romance.

So you read the Psy-changeling books before you listened? Does the narration get better?

message 22: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I have HUGE issues with the IAD series (I've explained at length in my reviews of the first few books) but I'm completely in love with Mr. Petkoff's narration. I wonder how bad will the books have to get for me to stop listening, LOL!

I'm a big fan of the Psy-Changeling series but I've read all the books. I don't think I'll ever listen to them in audio.