Interracial and African American Paranormal discussion

Underwritten Mythologies

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Violetta (last edited Jun 13, 2012 01:57PM) (new)

Violetta Vane (violettavane) Hi! I just did a guest post over at Wicked Lil Pixie called "Underwritten Mythologies" where I talk about different mythologies that aren't used enough in PNR and UF. At the end, I have a quickie suggested list of Native American (without shifters), Eastern European (without vampires), West African and Indian. If anyone over here would like to join the discussion or bring it over here, that would be awesome! What are some of your favorite books that go beyond Celtic?

http://wickedlilpixie.com/2012/06/13/...

The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears (thefountainpendiva) | 156 comments Finally! I've been preaching to the choir for ages. I'll be sure to check out your book too!

message 3: by Nomad (last edited Jul 20, 2012 07:14PM) (new)

Nomad My degrees were in Native American art history and American Indian treaty law history.

I have to say I agree, Native American mythology is underwritten at best and poorly researched and misrepresented at worst. Even shapeshifter stories often take the vein that ALL Native American cultures have wolves as an important part of their stories, and frankly, many of them do not.

I wrote a post on this on my blog entitled 'Moving Beyond the Werewolf' here's the link if anyone is interested: http://stealth-liberal.livejournal.co...

I would really love to see the discussion evolve on worldwide mythology. So much rich storytelling potential is out there!

message 4: by Kenesha (new)

Kenesha Williams (knicole_w) | 13 comments Nomad, love your post on other shape shifters in mythology.

message 5: by Nomad (new)

Nomad Thanks, I'm a mythology dork and it just amazes me how many people stop at Greek and Norse myths. It really does.