College Students! discussion

books, books, and more books! > Summer Reading Goals?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Does anyone have any reading goals for this summer? Is there a certain number of books you want to read? Is there a genre you want to read more of? etc.

My personal goal is to read the mountain of to-read books that I have or at least make a good sized dent in it.

message 2: by Shwetika (new)

Shwetika | 72 comments My goal is to read 30 books in summers

message 3: by Riley (last edited Jun 14, 2012 08:34AM) (new)

Riley Dawson Hushak Mostly I'm just trying to keep up with myself! I keep buying books before I've read the ones I have. I'd also like to get deeper into sci-fi/fantasy this summer- for whatever reason I'm really drawn to genre fiction right now!

I'm also starting to study for the GRE subject test (in lit of course) so another goal is to get some serious reading done in the classics.

message 4: by Shwetika (new)

Shwetika | 72 comments Riley wrote: "Mostly I'm just trying to keep up with myself! I keep buying books before I've read the ones I have. I'd also like to get deeper into sci-fi/fantasy this summer- for whatever reason I'm really draw..."

I know you are just starting your prep for GRE but good luck for exams :) :) ...

message 5: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I am going to be taking off work from June 28 through July 8 so I hope to get a lot of reading time in! I don't have an actual goal. This is my calm before the (second) tax season, so as much "me" time as I can get I will take!

message 6: by Riley (new)

Riley Dawson Hushak Shwetika wrote: I know you are just starting your prep for GRE but good luck for exams :) :) ...

Thanks so much! I've got until September to study but it's a really daunting test and I'm too nervous not to study haha

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker My goal is to get into a habit of reading a bit each night. I want to get into the habit of challenging myself to read more of the classics, but to balance them with non-fiction. I also want a day of reading maybe twice a month as a way of recovering from work and the other plans I keep making during the summer months.

message 8: by Shwetika (new)

Shwetika | 72 comments Riley wrote: "Shwetika wrote: I know you are just starting your prep for GRE but good luck for exams :) :) ...

Thanks so much! I've got until September to study but it's a really daunting test and I'm too nerv..."

:)

message 9: by Adam (new)

Adam | 83 comments I want to try and average reading 2 books a week. I've noticed I haven't read much sci-fi this year, so I would like to read more of that. I kicked that off by reading Dune.

I'm trying to get into the habit of reading something like 4 hours every morning, when I am least susceptible to falling asleep from reading. Before bed I can usually only read like a half hour or so.

message 10: by estrobabe (new)

estrobabe My summer reading goals are to more Y, Sci-Fi and journal articles (I'm a psychology major). I am shooting for about 2 books a week. I am such a busy person, but this time around I made a deal to read more. I love reading and always have been a reader, but during the school semesters, I get so wrapped up in school and undergrad research, I only read textbooks, articles, data etc. I have not been able to read "leisurely," So, that is my goal :)

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 61 comments I don't have a set number or anything, but like a lot of other people I'm just trying to carve out some time all summer to read the books that I want to read. I'd really like to make a dent in the stack of books I have beside my bed.

message 12: by Aryn (new)

Aryn (aryn007) My goal is just to get a library card at the New York Public library.

Buuut I can't do that until I'm an official resident and I won't even be a resident until August. So until then, I'm just dreaming of books!

message 13: by Resa (new)

Resa (serialthrillers) My goal is to read about one book a week and go to the library at least once every couple of weeks too. I'm lucky here in St. Louis that our libraries have an amazing author lecture series once a week. Last week was Jodi Picoult and Eoin Colfer is coming at the end of July.

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I think one of my favorite things about summer reading is that you can stay up super late finishing a book if you want. I find myself doing that far more often in the summer anyway. Does anyone else do that?

message 15: by Sashana (new)

Sashana My goal is to read less (gasp!) and spend more time with my family. It's actually really nice.

message 16: by Shwetika (new)

Shwetika | 72 comments Lori wrote: "I think one of my favorite things about summer reading is that you can stay up super late finishing a book if you want. I find myself doing that far more often in the summer anyway. Does anyone e..."

yeah ... At times I find my self awake at 4.30 in morning and reading !

message 17: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 686 comments Lori wrote: "I think one of my favorite things about summer reading is that you can stay up super late finishing a book if you want. I find myself doing that far more often in the summer anyway. Does anyone e..."

Absolutely!! I'm up later because it's still light outside and too warm to sleep and it's easier to just keep reading :)

message 18: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Shwetika, I love staying up late and reading. I just have to make sure I am not trying to read in bed otherwise I fall asleep far too quickly!

Daisy, YES! It's too hot to sleep. I like to imagine that lots of people are up, unable to sleep, kind of like a scene from an old movie.

message 19: by Alina (new)

Alina | 6 comments i gotta finish all of my college reading summer list books....=S

message 20: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments My summer reading goal is to finally finish reading Anna Karenina. I got about a third of the way through it a couple summers ago.

message 21: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Good luck, Jen! Anna K took me a few tries before I finally finished, but I loved the book. One of these days I'll go back and finish all of the long speeches about agriculture and politics that I skimmed.

message 22: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 604 comments I hope to finally finish Moby-Dick by the end of July. The really daunting thing about doing this is that I started this book about eight years ago and got about halfway through, but since it's been so long I'm going to have to start from the beginning. At least I remember liking what I had read, and I think it'll make a pretty good beach read.

message 23: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments So it's almost the end of the summer and I still haven't picked up Anna Karenina. Oops. BUT Kelly and Kimberly talked to me into reading the Harry Potter series this summer (I've never read it before), and I only have two more books to go!