The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) The Final Empire discussion

mistborn vs the warded man recommedation

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Monica Please help me decide i have read the first chapters of both and can't decide which one to buy. I need to know which one has the most action, best character development, little romance, and book 2 is good because i dont want to start a series if the next book is boring. If not these i will take any other recommendation on an adult fantasy

Ashley I may not be the best person to answer this since I have not had a chance to read The Warded Man, but I absolutely loved Mistborn. It's got all that you are looking for. I will admit that I felt that the second book was not the best in the trilogy, but I thought the third book made up for it. The magic system in Mistborn is interesting and unique. I definitely recommend it.

On a side note. The Warded Man does look interesting too. I may have to add it to my "To Read" list.

Daniel I've read and enjoyed both, but my recommendation would lie with Mistborn. In those books, the world keeps getting bigger and better. Plus, the series is complete.

I didn't really care much for the path of the second Warded Man book, which makes a recommendation even more difficult because I can't say whether it will be worth it in the next book.

Both have unique magic systems, although I found Warded Man to have a few rules that didn't make enough sense for me to totally suspend my disbelief.

Monica Ashley wrote: "I may not be the best person to answer this since I have not had a chance to read The Warded Man, but I absolutely loved Mistborn. It's got all that you are looking for. I will admit that I felt th..."
Thanks i did enjoy the first couple of chapters but didnt want to invest to quickly bc its been awhile since i have a read a good adult fantasy and althougth i do enjoy ya ones they r starting to read alike

Monica Daniel wrote: "I've read and enjoyed both, but my recommendation would lie with Mistborn. In those books, the world keeps getting bigger and better. Plus, the series is complete.

I didn't really care much for th..."

Thanks i think i will give mistborn a try and save the other for later i enjoyed both from the free chapters i read. Just needed a push in one direction over the other! The last adult series i read was free on kindle and i definitely got what i paid for as the series went along

William Add Sanderson's "The Stormlight Archive: The Way of Kings" and Rothfuss' "The Kingkiller Chronicles: The Name of the Wind" (Book 1) and "The Wise Mans Fear" (Book 2) to your must read list.

Monica William wrote: "Add Sanderson's "The Stormlight Archive: The Way of Kings" and Rothfuss' "The Kingkiller Chronicles: The Name of the Wind" (Book 1) and "The Wise Mans Fear" (Book 2) to your must read list."
I will and thanks for the recommendations

message 8: by Guy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Guy Sciancalepore The Mistborn Series is a must read for me. I've read the first book of the Warded Man series and honestly cannot remember what happens in the first book.

James IMO you don't get better than Sanderson if you want a complete world, a well defined magic system and a hell of an intrigue. The first mistborn book is one of my all time favorites and its far from the only Sanderson book to make that list.

Warded man was one book I kind of blundered into because I love Graphic Audio. I was hooked and finished it in like two days. Great read and I hear the 2nd one is even better.

Also add Brent Weeks Night Angel Trilogy to that list William put up.

Monica James wrote: "IMO you don't get better than Sanderson if you want a complete world, a well defined magic system and a hell of an intrigue. The first mistborn book is one of my all time favorites and its far fro..."

I just finish mistborn i really enjoyed it but never got into vin so im not sure i want to read the next one but the magic system was so brilliant i probably will give in and read the rest of the trilogy. It was an awesome read i couldnt put it down. I have read the first book in the night angel trilogy a couple of years ago and couldnt get into it. Today i started the warded man so far so good.

James If you weren't blown away by the first book I think the next 2 are gonna really hard to get through. I agree Vin wasn't my favorite I was always more of a Kelsir fan myself.

If you find the 2nd book a rough read I would give Elantris a try. It wouldn't be fair to judge Sanderson without giving that a read. One of my all time favorites. Way of Kings is another good one but It's going to be a long wait between books and I hate waiting.

message 12: by Matt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt Hageman I have not read The Warded Man, but i loved mistborn... check out my review for it and many more books at http://geniusbookreviews.wordpress.com/

Ginger They are both amazing, and whatever one you pick will not disappoint! I've read both.

message 14: by Rich (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rich Tate If you can only pick one series right now I'd suggest Mistborn as well. However you should really read both. They're both fantastic in their own right.

message 15: by Igor (last edited Jul 06, 2012 01:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Igor I would recommend Mistborn trilogy since it's absolutely fantastic thus it contains everything you mentioned.
The Warded Man (The Painted man as UK edition) as part of Demon trilogy is not yet finished so I would wait till next year, when book 3 is about to be published.
Also, The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson is already masterpiece and it will span through 10 book series called Stormlight Archive

message 16: by Alan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alan Duggan Both books are great in their own right, however they are very different.

The Warded Man is more fast paced and based in what feel a smaller world. Plenty of action and some great characters.

The Mistborn Trilogy is a different Monster altogether. The world Brandon has created is HUGE, also, he deals with alot more politics and scheming than P Brett does in the Warded Man. The action in Mistborn is less action packed due to the way the politics plays its part, but that does not mean the action does not happen, it does, and when ut does its well written.

Both books are very good in my opinion. If you want a quick, straight to the point action packed book, go with The Warded Man. If not, grab the Mistborn Trilogy.

Alan

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Having read both, I would say Mistborn #1 is a better book, just because it has greater complexity to it. Also, The Warded Man leans on a much used "demons" idea to comprise the antagonist element in the story, whereas Mistborn is a bit more out there with a Dark Ruler allready firmly established at the top.

Both good reads though!

Jenbebookish Monica wrote: "James wrote: "IMO you don't get better than Sanderson if you want a complete world, a well defined magic system and a hell of an intrigue. The first mistborn book is one of my all time favorites a..."

I actually hate Vin. I'm only half way thru the first book but she annoys me! The book is still good tho, I just wish he'd written a different hero/ine! I prefer male leads, but even in regards to female leads Vin is down at the bottom of the female-lead-totem-pole!

Jenbebookish James wrote: "If you weren't blown away by the first book I think the next 2 are gonna really hard to get through. I agree Vin wasn't my favorite I was always more of a Kelsir fan myself.

If you find the 2nd..."

I hate Vin! She's so annoying! Def wish Kelsir had been the lead. I'd much rather hear about his goings on and be rid of Vin-the-annoying!

message 20: by L.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

L.G. Estrella I found them both about the same in quality, but I really couldn't get into the sequels for the Warded Man.