Powell Branch Library Book Discussion discussion

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life
This topic is about Animal, Vegetable, Miracle
"Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" Book Discussion

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Brandi Wright | 46 comments I am about half way through this book and it is very enlightening. I am enjoying it very much. I have made some major changes in my diet before this book, and I am ever so glad I did. I am wondering if anyone has thought about doing what she did?

Cindy Moore | 5 comments This book is enlightening and has changed the way I think about consumption, changing my eating habits seems to be much more difficult...

The book is amazing, nonfiction that is entertaining and very easy to read, I continue to love Barbara Kingsolver.

Brandi Wright | 46 comments I hope to finish the book in the next couple of days. I have switched to mostly organic foods and have just decided to do it. I have been gradually replacing things in my pantry with better quality of foods. I wish there was more local food available to purchase in the area, but I do enjoy the local farmers market. I have also discovered a co-op (bountiful baskets) which is directly from the farmer to the truck to me. I have enjoyed the fresh fruits and vegetables. It has been fun learning what different types of food taste like. I find it easy to used the various types of fresh produce with the internet and the access to the recipes!!!
I have also not been to fast food chains for a long time. I am proud to say the last time I ate at one was in January! I have developed a new love of preparing meals at home. My son appreciates it and so far the only thing he has refused to eat is egg plant, after trying and eating a huge helping!

Brandi Wright | 46 comments I think the book could have been broken up and made into several books, too. However, I think it is refreshing that it is not.... makes me believe she was not into writing this book for the money or profits from the multiple book deals. I think it just adds to her character as a person who wrote this book and makes me really believe she is who she says she is.

message 5: by Tuesdee (new)

Tuesdee | 19 comments I think that even if we can only make small changes, it's still a step forward. Kingsolver gives us the ideas, and we can make our own futures.

Brandi Wright | 46 comments I agree Tuesdee. It really is all up to us as an individual or choices we make for our families. I am blessed with a child who loves fresh fruit and vegetables. However, he does have a sweet tooth and loves junk food, so I have to really watch what I purchase to leave out for him to eat.
I am just about done with the book and think this is book is very inspirational!

message 7: by Tuesdee (new)

Tuesdee | 19 comments I don't know that I could be a total locavore, but I think just knowing WHERE your food comes from, and how it's processed is a huge step in being more conscious. Plus, if you grow some of your own food, you can help reduce your carbon footprint on the world.

Brandi Wright | 46 comments I was doing some more on-line reading about this book and this was a great question...
" Kingsolver advocates the pleasures of seasonal eating, but she acknowledges that many people would view this as deprivation "because we've grown accustomed to the botanically outrageous condition of having everything always." Do you believe that American society can—or will— overcome the need for instant gratification in order to be able to eat seasonally? Did you get the sense that she and her family ever felt deprived in their eating options?"

message 9: by Tuesdee (new)

Tuesdee | 19 comments They didn't appear to feel deprived by eating seasonally. And I've noticed that when you eat something that isn't in season, it never seems to have any taste. Therefore, for the palate it makes HUGE sense to be more aware.

Brandi Wright | 46 comments I agree Tuesdee, eating in season is the best and I have began to do that about two years ago. My weakness is apples, I love them but enjoy and consume more than I should in the fall.
Do you believe that American society can—or will— overcome the need for instant gratification in order to be able to eat seasonally?

message 11: by Tuesdee (new)

Tuesdee | 19 comments No. I do not. There are going to be pockets of people or slivers of society that will try to change, but I do not believe that all American society can escape the instant gratification.

Brandi Wright | 46 comments I totally agree Tuesdee. I think there are many other areas other than food, the American society can not escape the instant gratification.
"Kingsolver asserts that "we have dealt to today's kids the statistical hand of a shorter life expectancy than their parents, which would be us, the ones taking care of them." How is our "thrown-away food culture" a detriment to children's health?"

message 13: by Tuesdee (new)

Tuesdee | 19 comments By perpatrating a culture of "give it to me now" we don't have the knowledge or the desire to work for anything. And that includes good food, good health, maybe even good character.

Brandi Wright | 46 comments Brilliant Tuesdee! And agreed!I am trying to make my son aware of his "sweet tooth". He is good at eating new foods and loves anything I cook. He has also grown up with the philosophy that mom cooked, eat what is fixed or don't eat at all. I made eggplant Parmesan one night for dinner and he eat a big helping. The he said, "Mom, can I have a pb&j?" I said "What? You just eat a helping of dinner don't you want more?" He replied, "Well, I didn't like it, but I was hungry. I was just hoping for something that wasn't so weird feeling in my mouth." I let him have the pb&j and respected his texture issues with dinner. I could not judge him for that when I refuse to eat anything that is "blue raspberry" colored. Makes me gag thinking about it.

Maggie Sullivan | 21 comments Mine is pudding... any kind. No way! Your son's hunger led him in one direction while his desires led him in another. I would have done the exact same thing. Respecting your child's wants and needs can sometimes lead to brand new discoveries.

message 16: by Tuesdee (new)

Tuesdee | 19 comments And the fact that he was willing to eat it to satisfy the need, and then he asked for something he wanted. A lot of times texture can influence what we think of something...sometimes the smells too.