Francophiles discussion

Readers > Best French Recipe Websites

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rozzer (new)

Rozzer French cooking websites from France have (to me) a different feel than American recipe websites. More serious, more nuanced, more respectful of food itself. And there aren't as many. Not that I've been through all or even a majority. Certainly not. So I was wondering about your researches and your successes and failures, likes and dislikes about particular French cooking websites and blogs. If you know some good ones, please tell!

message 2: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 5 comments Has anyone here made macarons? I'm going to try to make them for my book club next month as we bring food related to the book read. We read The Secret Wife of Louise XIII...hope I got the roman numeral right..did it from memory!

message 3: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Ellis (vntgdncr) Hello. I took a class a couple of years ago to learn to make macarons at the local Williams Sonoma kitchen store. I posted the recipe and some hints on my website at afrenchlife.com but unfortunately I've let the domain name lapse. I will look for that posting in my archives. I do recall that there is a fine art to getting the mixture just right to avoid having them crack when baked.

message 4: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 5 comments Found frozen macarons at Trader Joes and bought. Better not to stress myself out....making macarons sounds very tricky!

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne Trager (anne_trager) | 14 comments About French cooking sites (I love macarons), I've found that French recipes in general are less precise (my guess is that not many are tested), perhaps because the French will tend to use recipes for inspiration rather than as step-by-step guides.

message 6: by Stuart (last edited Jun 29, 2017 03:13PM) (new)

Stuart | 5 comments godecookery.com is not exclusively french but it includes many recipes from la menagier de paris, a well known 14th century french cookbook. And you can search for them!

message 7: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 92 comments Elaine wrote: "Found frozen macarons at Trader Joes and bought. Better not to stress myself out....making macarons sounds very tricky!"

Those are good; my supermarket also carries excellent ones - made by White Toque - in the freezer case. They're actually better than a few I've had in France!

message 8: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 92 comments I get emails from Cuisine - Journal des Femmes; I also used to subscribe to emails from Cuisine AZ, but for some reason they starting crashing my mail app so I unsubscribed. Marmiton is another good site, as is Sauveurs. You can search for specific recipes on all of those.

message 9: by Nari (new)

Nari (thenovelworld) | 6 comments These are my two favorite cooking/food sites:

Chocolate and Zucchini (http://chocolateandzucchini.com/)
&
David Lebovitz (http://www.davidlebovitz.com/)