Blackveil (Green Rider, #4) Blackveil discussion

NEXT BOOK

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Esme (new) - added it

Esme So i heard that the 5th book will be years before it comes out, is this true?

Becky I hope not!! I'm not sure I can wait that long!

message 3: by Esme (new) - added it

Esme me neither

Becky but wasn't there quite a long gap between High King's Tomb and Blackveil? But then she has never ended a book on a cliffhanger like that before...

Donna I'm hoping it won't be that long! We need to know how it ends and what happens to Karigan!

message 6: by Esme (new) - added it

Esme ME TOO!!!!!

Karen Will the 5th book be the last one?

message 8: by Gerriane (last edited Jul 01, 2012 07:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gerriane I thought this was going to be the last book :( even stayed up most of the night just to finish it only to be left with a cliffhanger! I really, really, really hope that the series doesn't take too long to finish.

Aaron There is a 4/5 year gap between her books getting released. The Green rider was in 1998 First Rider's Call 2003 The High King's Tomb 2007 and then Blackveil 2011.

Rebecca I don't understand it either. Why does it have to be so long between books! Its the same thing Cassandra Clare's "The Mortal Instruments" books too! At least we don't have to wait long for the Mortal Instruments: City of Bones to come out...August 2013

Férial Hey everyone,

The 5th book is done. KB has sent it to her editor on Apr.26.

Here's what she wrote on her website on Apr.29 :

"In any case, the biggest news around my house is that I finished GR5 and sent it to my editor on 4/26. It is on her schedule to be read and edited. Once she has gone over it, she will tell me what needs to be fixed, and then I will fix it. This is my longest book so far at almost 251,000 words. Alas, I have no official title or release date yet."

I am a fortunate reader as I've just picked up this series. I didn't have to wait lonnnnng years between each book. I finished Blackveil today and it looks like I won't have to wait too long for GR5. Most fortunate indeed. :)

http://www.kristenbritain.com/news.html

infael KB was a park ranger when she wrote Green Rider. I presume she still is, which would account for the 5-year cycles.

Rebecca Thanks that's good that GR5 will be out soon. Maybe within the next year or so. I'll probably re-read them.

Férial Next year ? Editing shouldn't take this long, should it ? I was more thinking of this summer or fall.

It took a few weeks to one of the authors I follow to have his book released (I mean a few weeks between 1/him finishing his book - 2/ Reading and correcting process - 3/ All the editing process.

But 1 year ? If it happens, I won't survive it lol

Rebecca Lol I know what you mean. Well I'm not sure how fast between editing and putting the final touches it takes for the final product to be on shelves. I should ask one if the others authors I follow how long it took his books to be released. I follow Michael J. Sullivan and I'll ask him. He befriended me on here and he'll let me know probably about his books,especially the books he's releasing this summer and fall

message 16: by Férial (last edited May 03, 2013 01:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Férial Terry Goodkind whom I follow announced a month or so ago that his book was done and said that it would be released on Aug.6. (the editing process generally takes around 6 months. Sometimes less #HighHopes, sometimes more #HugeDesperateSigh

Please let us know about Michael J.Sullivan's answer. Please, please, please lol

Rebecca Yes I definitely will let you know what Michael J. Sullivan's answer. I'll probably contact him in a few minutes and hopefully he'll get back to me soon.

Férial Thank you :)

infael I've heard a year's editing is typical.

Férial I've just been told that it could take from 3 months to over 1.5 yrs. I also got this answer :

"Has a lot to do with when the publisher wants it released. Once you hand it over they have all the say. My friend got his released 3 months after submitting it."

3 months would be just great !!

#HopeSpringsEternal

message 21: by Neal (last edited May 02, 2013 02:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Neal Simmons Sullivan is a special case. He wrote all of the Riyria Revelations books before he released the first one, or so he has said on here.

Editing does take a while. Sanderson finished A Memory of Light quite a few months before it was released. Of course, that was a series finale.

Goodkind takes several years. Paolini takes years. Martin takes years. Even Sanderson takes years between his major books, though he does release minor ones at least one a year.

Rebecca Oh and Sullivan self-published his Riryia books before Orbit picked them up published them in omnibus editions

Férial Well then, I suppose we'll just have to wait for KB's updates *sigh*

Rebecca I asked Michael J. Sullivan how long between being signed by the publishing company and release and here is what he said:

) Copy / line editing - 1 - 2 months
b) Review of copy edits by the authors 10 days - 2 weeks
c) Layout of the book 3 - 4 weeks
d) Proof of final layout to author 10 days - 2 weeks for review
e) ARC's made (sometimes this step is skipped
f) Final printing - usually 1 - 2 months before the book is to hit the shelves.

In my case, my books were pretty much "at acceptance" level when signed so the release date was set about a year out. I'll give you some dates for The Crown Tower to illustrate the point.

* 05/15/2012 - Book Submitted as part of option clause
* 06/22/2012 - Offer made for publication
* 07/24/2012 - Structural Edits to me
* 09/12/2012 - Revised version sent to Orbit
* 10/22/2012 - Second round of structural edit notes
* 12/31/2012 - Complete and final version sent to Orbit
* 01/07/2013 - Manuscript determined "accepted"
* 02/04/2013 - Copy edited version sent to me
* 02/19/2013 - Reviewed copy edits from me back to Orbit
* 03/15/2013 - Page proofs sent to me for review sign-off
* 04/02/2013 - Sign off of page proofs
* 08/06/2013 - Release date

And this is the example he gave me for his new Riyria books coming out in August.

Férial Thanks Rebecca for taking the time to ask :)

Rebecca Yep no problem. This has been fun

Roland Boykin Wow, I can't wait to start reading Blackveil now after reading all of your comments. I don't mind waiting for the next book to come out since I usually reread all the previous books anyway. I tend to forget things after a couple of years. Senior moments ya know. ha ha