Rothfussians discussion

The Archives > Did Kvothe get his blood back from Devi?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Client_n9ne (new)

Client_n9ne | 2 comments Did Kvothe get his blood back from Devi at the end of the book or am I missing something?

message 2: by Amber, Master Sympathist (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 1471 comments Mod
I'd have to double check - but I am fairly certain he pays of Devi and gets his blood back when he starts selling his bloodless device.

message 3: by Client_n9ne (new)

Client_n9ne | 2 comments Yes, please double check. I don't have the book with me anymore and I'm fairly certain that the list of items he receives from Devi after paying off his loan does not include his blood.

message 4: by Tobias (new)

Tobias Wolter (mumpfpuffel) | 13 comments «Devi made no move to take the money. “I wouldn’t want to leave you penniless at the start of the new term,” she said.
I hefted my purse in one hand. It clinked with a delightful fullness that was almost musical.
Devi brought out a key and unlocked a drawer at the bottom of her desk. One by one she brought out my copy of Rhetoric and Logic, my talent pipes, my sympathy lamp, and Denna’s ring»

I see no mention of him ever getting his blood back.

message 5: by Chris, Master Artificer (new)

Chris (chris300) | 387 comments Mod
He gets his blood back at the end of book 1.

After he gets paid by Ambrose for pawning him with windpower he says he goes shopping in Imre for a lute, a small bottle of my blood, 2 shirts and some other stuff.

message 6: by Ions (new)

Ions @Chris.

doesn't he give her more blood in book two? there is that whole business of him thinking that she has given it to a higher bidder.

message 7: by Ancapaillmor (new)

Ancapaillmor | 76 comments Yep there would've been no confrontation otherwise.

Feck need to get the books back, i'm not sifting through 6 hours audio to find that bit. Tobias that deevy bit was when he got back from ademre etc, there was no blood given for that loan just the collateral, although the question is did he get it back when they made peace after the ambrose room incident?

message 8: by Ions (new)

Ions maybe that's when it happened. didn't one of his friends convince her to return it to him. ugh. I wish I had the physical books and not the audiobooks at times like this. although it gives me something to look forward to when I listen to them again.

message 9: by Chris, Master Artificer (new)

Yeah, I agree. It doesn't really make sense in the first book either. He says he gets 11 talents and buys 2 shirts (1 talent let's say), his blood (6 talents) and an extroadinary lute... for 4 talents? *raises eyebrow*

message 10: by Amber, Master Sympathist (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 1471 comments Mod
he gets 20 talents or so, not 11.

Ambrose pays for his lute twice because he brakes and because he steals it.

message 11: by Eric (new)

Eric | 99 comments Even if he didn't tell us explicitly that he got it back, I think you can count on him having it back.

Aside from that, I posit that there is likely some sort of diminished returns on malfeasance attempted with an old source (blood from a year ago, etc).

message 12: by Lik-hang (last edited Oct 21, 2012 10:14PM) (new)

Lik-hang Chan (zzchanli) | 7 comments Amber wrote: "he gets 20 talents or so, not 11.

Ambrose pays for his lute twice because he brakes and because he steals it."

Ambrose pays 9 and 4 for destruction of property and an additional 1 talent for theft resulting in a total of about 11 talents

message 13: by Chris, Master Artificer (new)

"he gets 20 talents or so, not 11."

No, they overrule the movement that Kwothe makes for theft and destruction so it's only destruction. And by the way, he gets his blood back from Devi in a very clear way, he gives her Celums Tincture (the one he stole from Caudicus's library) and pays her 9 talents out of the 22 he gets from receiving 10% of every time someone sells a bloodless.

See Page 940 of the hardback TWMF.