Trans-Atlantic Bibliophiles discussion

Let's pick some titles!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane (dianders1) | 136 comments Mod
I went by the Provo Library tonight and got a list of book club sets they have. One book I'd really like to read together is "These Is My Words" by Nancy Turner. A friend of mine just read it in her book club and loaned it to me and I can't put it down. The soonest I could reserve a set for that is May 5-June 16.

Here's a link to what's available. Let me know what your top picks are and I'll get some things reserved!

http://provolibrarybookclub.blogspot....

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily | 39 comments Lots of good titles there. Here are my top five (in no particular order):
The Great Divorce; C. S. Lewis
Kabul Beauty School; Deborah Rodriguez
The Alchemist: Paulo Coehlo
The Bonesetter's Daughter: Amy Tan
Cheaper by the Dozen; Frank B. Gilbreth

Of course, I'm open to other titles, too. These just caught my eye first.

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue | 12 comments Lots of good books on that list. Several that i have read but would be willing to reread if the group chooses them. I would like to read "The Kite Runner" and "Life of Pi"

message 4: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (fisksgirl) | 4 comments Mod
I've read a few of these; "Count of Monte Cristo" is fabulous, of course. "Homeless Bird" is another good one; it reminds me quite a bit of "Climbing the Stairs" (VERY good book). "Fever, 1793" is really good, but it IS YA/JF, so it's not exactly a challenging read. When I worked at the library, "Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress" was pretty popular. Those are probably MY top choices (PLEASE not Twilight!)

message 5: by Holly (new)

Holly (HHarvey) | 14 comments Here is the list from Orem Public Library
http://lib.orem.org/index.php?option=...

message 6: by Holly (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:39AM) (new)

Holly (HHarvey) | 14 comments Here are several I'd like to read. There are several on the list I have read, none that I would mind reading again.

Kabul beauty school
Life as we knew it
Homeless bird
Memory keeper's daughter
Three cups of tea
Black Tulip
Charms for the easy life
The chosen
Conspiracy of paper
Fever, 1793
Poisonwood Bible
These is my words

message 7: by Diane (new)

Okay, how does this sound?
We start with:
Year of Wonders (17th century England)
Fever, 1793 (18th century Philadelphia)
Cheaper By the Dozen (turn-of-the-century U.S.)
These Is My Words (19th century Arizona)
Life of Pi (contemporary International?)
Kabul Beauty School (present-day Afghanistan)

Alternates:
When the Emperor Was Divine (WW2 America/Utah)

What do you think? Any objections? This is completely not set-in-stone and open to revision.

If this is acceptable, I'll get the reservation list hammered out with the library tomorrow.

message 8: by Diane (last edited Jan 11, 2009 11:32AM) (new)

One more thing: Do you want a new book every 4 or 6 weeks? Summers off? December off? ??? Do you want to meet around the 15th of each month? Do we want to rotate houses, online (comments can start after a certain date so we don't have spoilers), ???

message 9: by Holly (new)

Holly (HHarvey) | 14 comments I would say 6 weeks. December off might be good. If we do a Skype session, Tuesday nights are always bad for me (choir rehearsal).

I just read the Guernsey Literary and potato peel pie society. It would make an excellent selection.

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily | 39 comments Those sound good - no objections. When do we start?

message 11: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (fisksgirl) | 4 comments Mod
Sounds good. How are we going to split up the reading? By pages or chapters? If we're doing pages we'll need to be sure to get the same editions.

message 12: by Kate (new)

Kate | 15 comments This all looks good to me. Wehn do we start?

message 13: by Diane (new)

I'll bring "Fever, 1793" over on Tuesday when I get it from the library. I'm excited!

message 14: by Tisha (new)

Tisha (tishafinlay) | 11 comments Whatever is great with me!

message 15: by Diane (new)

There aren't any book club sets of this book, but I would HIGHLY recommend "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society." I am loving this book. If anyone wants to discuss it after they read it, that would be fun!

message 16: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 80 comments I think you are all going to be way ahead of me in the book reading, especially if you get them from the library. I still have to buy the Fever book... I did read the Potato Peel book, though, and when you finish, i'd love to talk about it.

message 17: by Diane (new)

I don't know if I would want you to "buy" it. It was good, but not good enough to own, I think. Unless you can get good value at the 2nd hand store. I know you read "Potato Peel"--that's why I read it! It's really good!

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate | 15 comments I am open to reading that one. You can find cheap used books once in a while.