The Dapper Gentlemen of Letters discussion

First Book!

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (new)

Brian | 33 comments Mod
Ok gang, we need to choose a book first. Anyone in the group can add a book to the shelf. So go nuts but not too nuts. Anyone who wants can add a book, we'll say by... Friday, add a book you think we should read then we'll create a poll and vote on what our first book is. We'll give a little more than 2 months on this for simplicity's sake and say this book will be due at the end of August.

message 2: by A.J. (new)

A.J. | 17 comments I added "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer. It's been on my to-read list for awhile; I went through a little bit of an obsession reading about Everest and in particular some of the failed efforts to reach the summit. The book, morbid as the subject matter is, seems like it would appeal to the group, not just me.

message 3: by Brian Olmstead (new)

Brian Olmstead I added The Windup Girl. I've read a couple short stories in the same "world" and was completely captivated by them. I've been meaning to read this book for a long time.

message 4: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (thecallahan) | 6 comments I put in power of the Dog. Every book of Winslow's I've read has been great and I thought I'd put up one I haven't read yet.

message 5: by Joel (new)

Joel (lcgiant) | 23 comments Mod
I've read the Windup Girl. It was quite good, but the ending felt a bit rushed.

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris Martin | 13 comments so both those things he won hugos for were short stories? cause it sounds like windup girl isnt the first he wrote about this world and if theres another novel written first id rather do that one.

message 7: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronzonie7) | 20 comments Welsh erotic poetry, IMO

message 8: by Brian Olmstead (new)

Brian Olmstead Chris wrote: "so both those things he won hugos for were short stories? cause it sounds like windup girl isnt the first he wrote about this world and if theres another novel written first id rather do that one."

Yes they were both short stories.

message 9: by A.J. (new)

A.J. | 17 comments Ron wrote: "Welsh erotic poetry, IMO"

Inappropriate. Also, hilarious.

message 10: by Jeremy Reinholt (new)

Jeremy Reinholt | 8 comments Mod
Just added three:

- 11/22/63
- Cloud Atlas
- The Map of Time

I was also going to add The Art of Fielding, but someone else beat me to it.

message 11: by Joel (last edited Jun 13, 2012 01:08PM) (new)

Does Ron have to ruin everything?

message 12: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronzonie7) | 20 comments Joel wrote: "Does Ron have to ruin everything?"

You are just unsophisticated.

message 13: by A.J. (new)

A.J. | 17 comments Joel wrote: "Does Ron have to ruin everything?"

Just merge all his comments and be done with it.

message 14: by Joel (new)

Where the hell did Fifty Shades of Grey go? I was gonna vote for that one and also say that we be required to read it in hard cover form in public places.

message 15: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronzonie7) | 20 comments Cloud Atlas sounds interesting, but the time travel might turn off some LCG's.

message 16: by Brian (new)

Brian | 33 comments Mod
Is Joel against time Travel? Honestly all of Jeremy's stuff sounds at least a little interesting though I actively dislike King anymore. It's not rational but I just stopped reading his stuff one day cause it bored me.

message 17: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronzonie7) | 20 comments Joel hates time travel. I think the butterfly effect is too much for him.

message 18: by Brian (new)

Brian | 33 comments Mod
Oh. Well books have been moved to the To Read Shelf so we won't have to worry about deleting them, that way ones that are voted down can stick around and we can vote on them again next time if we want.

message 19: by Joel (new)

I don't hate all time travel. I hate time travel where you zip around on the same time line ala Back to the Future.

If the time travel is more cerebral and involves jumping to separate threads of time, I'm much more tolerant ala Star Trek reboot.

message 20: by Jeremy Reinholt (new)

Jeremy Reinholt | 8 comments Mod
The King book is about a guy going back in time to stop the JFK assassination.

Cloud Atlas isn't about time travel. It's about stories in the past intertwining with stories in the future. They're interconnected - no one is traveling outside of their own present.

The Map of Time is probably a book Joel would hate.

message 21: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronzonie7) | 20 comments I'd do Cloud Atlas. I'm open to whatever. I trolled around a bit, but didn't find anything that I would confidently recommend.

message 22: by Chris (new)

Chris Martin | 13 comments Joel wrote: "I don't hate all time travel. I hate time travel where you zip around on the same time line ala Back to the Future.

If the time travel is more cerebral and involves jumping to separate threads o..."

you need a new word for ala, ala ie

message 23: by Chris (new)

Chris Martin | 13 comments i heard good things about that last stephen king book. there was a chapter in EW that i read that was typical king.

i'm gonna look around for some good ideas at work today.

message 24: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronzonie7) | 20 comments Borderliners and the Holmes geriatric book both sound pretty solid.

message 25: by Brian (new)

Brian | 33 comments Mod
Borderliners isn't available in a digital format which pretty much assures I won't read that one.

message 26: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronzonie7) | 20 comments I did not realize that. Yeah, that would be an issue.

message 27: by Chris (new)

Chris Martin | 13 comments i can get it in epub or pdf if anyone wants that

message 28: by Chris (new)

Chris Martin | 13 comments i added a couple more including neal stephenson's Reamde from last year. dude's generally very good, it got good reviews....

message 29: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronzonie7) | 20 comments Let's try to decide. I'm off to the beach this weekend, and I'd like to have something new to read.

message 30: by Chris (new)

Chris Martin | 13 comments yea can we set up the vote? looks like stunt, cliche, and goldie are the three most dapper of dapper gentlemen who have mod status. ron i think we need to burn this mother fucker down. THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE RSSed!

message 31: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronzonie7) | 20 comments I'd read Knuds's misspelled book.

message 32: by Brian (new)

Brian | 33 comments Mod
I will create a poll when I get home

message 33: by Chris (new)

Chris Martin | 13 comments if i had to pick a top 3, in no particular order:

Reamde
windup girl
the stephen king one

i'd be pretty happy with any of those three. the art of fielding is actually pretty good but its hefty and i just read it 5 months ago or so.

message 34: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronzonie7) | 20 comments My list would look like Knuds's, but subtract King and put in old Sherlock Holmes.

message 35: by Brian Olmstead (new)

Brian Olmstead Ugh, has Stephenson figured out how to end a book yet? 'Cause my past experience with him was rather disappointing.

message 36: by Chris (last edited Jun 15, 2012 07:07AM) (new)

Chris Martin | 13 comments really? i thought snow crash was stellar and I liked cryptonomicon a lot too. I don't remember having a specific issue with either ending, though it has been a long time since i read them.

message 37: by Brian Olmstead (new)

Brian Olmstead Now granted it's been a decade since I've read his books, but I remember them just being... abrupt. Like, story is going along, then OVER(tm).Just didn't feel very finished/thought-out.

message 38: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronzonie7) | 20 comments He forgot to put 'The End' in there, I think.

message 39: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronzonie7) | 20 comments Or 'Happily ever after'?

message 40: by Chris (new)

Chris Martin | 13 comments FIN, gents!

message 42: by Joshua (new)

Joshua (jaysix) | 26 comments I recently watched a SyFy adaptation of Riverworld. I read those books years ago, the movie sparked my interest to read them again. I don't know how many of you have read them at some point, or are interested in reading them.