Paranormal and Horror Lovers discussion

Author Help and Tips > Translation Services

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L.M. (new)

L.M. Smith (LadyMuse82) | 176 comments Here's a question for everyone ... or a couple perhaps.

1) How many of you have released your books in more than one language?

2) Was it hard to find a translation service for this or did your publisher/agent handle it for you?

3) Can any of you recommend a reliable and affordable translation service or individual translator?

4) What are some of the concerns regarding simply hiring someone that is bilingual for translation services (example: my house cleaner's 17 year-old daughter speaks fluent Spanish and English)?

5) What would be a reasonable cost/payment for translation services? Are these usually done per word, page, chapter, or manuscript?

6) Have any of you noticed beneficial sales increases that have warranted the translation service?

7) What are the most important languages, other than English, for a book to be published in?

Explanation: I've sold one copy of The Citizens on Amazon.de (German) despite the fact that the only language it's currently available in is English. It made me wonder if perhaps I should try to start getting it translated for wider distribution pools in other countries (and in some cases, right here in the U.S./Canada). As previously mentioned my house cleaner's teenage daughter is fluent in English and Spanish and is usually reads and replies to all of her mom's text messages for her as a result. I've been considering offering her $5 - $10 per chapter to translate The Citizens into Spanish but since I don't speak Spanish, I have no way of knowing if she's doing a good job or not and no way to really proof read it when she's done. Quite the dilemma right?

Does anyone have any info to share on this subject?

message 2: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 94 comments Hey L.M.,

I have never translated a novel, but as a writer in the advertising industry, I have had ads translated. And, it's pretty expensive. They usually charge us by the word...So, it's usually about $60 a page. I'm sure you could get a lower cost for so many pages, but it's pretty steep.

Our ad agency has also tried using just native speakers before (someone we know who is fluent), but we found the differences between what they gave us back and what a professional gave us were pretty big (especially when it came to spelling and grammar).

Good luck!

message 3: by Eva (new)

Eva King I think if you pay a non profesional you would have to end up paying a spanish editor to make sure it makes sense.

message 4: by L.M. (new)

L.M. Smith (LadyMuse82) | 176 comments Points well taken. *sigh*. I supposed a bilingual Jazz is going to have to wait for awhile.