Janet Evanovich Book Group discussion

THE MOVIE!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 310 (310 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Nicole (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 221 comments Mod
When is it coming out and who do you think should play the main characters?

My votes:
Stephanie: Sandra Bullock
Joe: Benjamin Bratt
Ranger: The Rock or Vin Diesel
Lula: Monique

I hope it gets into production soon!

message 2: by Emily (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:09PM) (new)

Emily I didn't realize they're making a movie! That's awesome! Sandra Bullock would make a great Stephanie. My friend who first recommended the books told me to picture her as Stephanie when I read them! As for the rest of the cast:

Joe: Eric Bana
Ranger: The Rock
Lula: Queen Latifah
Grandma Mazur: Doris Roberts

message 3: by chris (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

chris (antsissy1) | 16 comments Website says Reese Witherspoon locked into the movie. I think she would be good, but since I started reading, Sandra Bullock (as Miss Congeniality) always popped in my head.

My picks: Joe: Eric Bana
Ranger: Antonio Banderas
Lula: Monique
Grandma: Doris Roberts

message 4: by Emily (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

Emily I love Reese Witherspoon!! I have to admit though I've always pictured Sandra Bullock in the role.

Wonder when it's going to start filming?

message 5: by Nicole (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

Reese Witherspoon! Are you kidding me!? I'm sending Janet and Alex a Christmas card and in it I will beg them not to cast her! She's petite and has blue eyes and blond hair! Don't get me wrong, I love Reese, but c'mon!

message 6: by Kathi (new)

Kathi (kathiliz) | 1 comments Unfortunately Nicole, Janet has said she has no say in the casting. The rights to the movies were sold long ago before she was as well known as are many books.

I agree that I can picture Sandra Bullock, but I do think that she is too old for the part now...she is in her mid 40s and Stephanie is suppose to be late 20's early 30's.

I think I would prefer to have the movie cast with actors who are not big stars...ones who have some movies or TV under their belt but aren't considered A lists yet.

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily I agree Sandra Bullock is getting a little old for the role and Reese Witherspoon as much as a I love her doesn't really fit the description in the books. I do think Reese would do a good job in the role though, she's great in comedies! She's definitely not who readers have pictured though. Somewhere online I saw someone suggest Lauren Graham from the Gilmore Girls for the role of Stephanie. She'd be awesome in the role, she's hysterical! Not sure if she's a big enough name though...

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I didnt know they were making a movie!!!

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily Reese Witherspoon's production company purchased the rights a couple of years ago and it's been in development ever since, no word on when it may end up being filmed though...keeping my fingers crossed it's soon though!

message 10: by Jamie (new)

Jamie I agree with Emily that Lauren Graham would make a great Stephanie - she's who I've pictured while reading the books.

I'd like to see Queen Latifa play Lula, but Monique would be great, too.

Although he may be a bit young, I imagine Joe could be portrayed by someone like Brett Novek from America's Most Smartest Model. :) (Who knows if he really can act, though!)

I agree that The Rock would make a good Ranger.

For Grandma Mazur, I like Doris Roberts, but I also think Betty White would be great in the role.

message 11: by Lisa (last edited Mar 13, 2008 08:29PM) (new)

Lisa (spacedkane) | 1 comments My Stephanie Plum dreamcast:

Stephanie Plum= Rachel McAdam
Ranger= The Rock
Morelli = Victor Webster
Lula - Raven Symone
Grandma Mazur = Billy Crystal
Connie - Alicia Silverstone
Joyce Barnhardt = Jessica Simpson
Tank - Dalip Singh

My choice of cousin Vinnie various all the time
:)

message 12: by Jessica (last edited Mar 15, 2008 02:57PM) (new)

Jessica | 39 comments I think that Sandra Bullock would have done a wonderfull representation of Stephanie Plum, but Kathi is right. She is a bit older than Stephanie's age. Antonia Banderas is also WAY too old to be Ranger.
And as much as I love Witherspoon, she just doesn't seem right to do the role justice.
I agree with Emily that Lauren Graham would be a possible choice for Stephanie! I had never considered her before, but she would do great in the role. And Betty White would be such a funny grandma Mazur! Both my sister and I are soooo in agreement with you on that particular choice:)

I think that Kathi also has it right that much of the cast should be newer up-n-coming actors.
The film should have a fresh feel, and too many older well known actors trying to squeeze into the stories will ruin the genius of it all.

I hope that the casting director chooses wisely for the first production. I both dread and wait in excited anticipation for the first Stephanie Plum movie.

message 13: by Joe (new)

Joe Several of my co-workers think Sandra Bullock would be great at being Stephanie Plum, but I guess it is ok that Reese Witherspoon is playing the part.

Stephanie Plum= Tiny Fey, Alison Lohman, Rachel McAdam, Anne Hathaway,

Ranger= The Rock, Sonny Landham

Morelli = Christian Bale, Clive Owen, Matthew Fox

Connie - Janeane Garofalo, Helena Bonham Carter

Joyce Barnhardt = Naomi Watts, Renée Zellweger

Vinnie-Steve Buscemi

I am still trying to think of actresses to play Grandma Mazur and Lula.

message 14: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 1 comments I love Reese Witherspoon but I just don't see her as Stephanie.

Here's my cast picks...

Stephanie - Rachel McAdams
Ranger - Oded Fehr
Joe - I can't think of anyone hot enough!
Grandma - Ellen Albertini Dow (the rappin' granny from The Wedding Singer)
Lula - Monique
Vinnie - Danny Devito or Dan Hedaya

I can't wait for the movie!

message 15: by MJ (new)

MJ Stephanie - Kate Hudson or Anne Hathaway
Ranger - Neveen Andrews or Oded Fehr
Joe - Clive Owen or Eric Bana
Lulu - Monique
Connie - Nikki Blonsky
Vinnie- Steve Buscemi
Grandma Mazur - Estelle Getty
Joyce Barnhardt - Scarlett Johansson

message 16: by MJ (new)

MJ I forgot Mary Lou. After all ever good character needs a best friend to trail the hot guys with.

Mary Lou - Reese Witherspoon.

message 17: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Collins (nataliewrites) | 1 comments Hello, I'm a new member of this group, and a huge Stephanie Plum fan. I think Reese Witherspoon would be miscast as Stephanie Plum, though. I think Sandra could still pull it off, even though she is getting older.

Natalie
www.jennytpartridge.com

message 18: by Nicole (new)

I agree Natalie. I also think Sandra is still the best pick.

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited May 07, 2008 08:06AM) (new)

OK I'm new here.. but I read Lisa's list..

[quote]
Stephanie Plum= Rachel McAdam
Ranger= The Rock
Morelli = Victor Webster
Lula - Raven Symone [/quote]

I have to say i never thought of Rachel McAdams.. but i like it! I also think Sandra Bullock would be very funny too.

Ranger... Ya know I don't think of Ranger as BIG as the Rock. But I can see it with the skin tone and all. How about Dominic Purcell???

Morelli... I had to look up who Victor Webster was and OMG YES!!! I totally agree. I've seen him before and he's a cutie. Plus i myself have no idea who'd play him so that's a good person.

Lula.. I loved the idea i read about Monique only because she's funny... but now that you say Raven Symone.. HAHA yes i can see that too.

Good job all! I'm not as clever as to come up with good ones.

message 20: by Jessica (last edited May 18, 2008 11:54PM) (new)

Jessica | 39 comments I just googled Victor Webster, and he definitly is a WOW for the possible visual of Morelli. But before I start writing letters to the casting directors (ha ha) I think I will have to look up a video of him, to see if he can do the presentation and the "voice" that Evanovich created for the character. But I whole heartedly agree with the "OMG" for him visualy.

I don't know about Raven Symone. I love her, but she seems a bit too young and spunky, a bit too fresh to play an ex-hooker. Maybe she could pull it off, but I have a hard time seeing her showing the layer of grit that Lula has.

Dominic Purcell...is that the white guy from "Prison Break" ?

message 21: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 1 comments What abou Vinn Disel for Ranger?

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

He's too white!!! LOL I mean Ranger's suppose to have a Mocha skin.. Vin is WHITE! LOL. But he's the right size. On a Myspace group they came up with the guy from Mummy & Duece Bigalo Male Gigalo (the guy with the long hair). I think he'd actually be really good. His name is Oded Fehr. Look him up. He's pretty good.

message 23: by Nicole (new)

I think The Rock is perfect for Ranger. If not The Rock, Vin Diesel comes in a close second. Oded Fehr in 3rd place!

Both bring the hotness!

message 24: by Connie (new)

Connie | 6 comments All I have to say is that I hope they do justice to the books. I'm a little worried, although now that I've read there might be a movie I am keeping my eyes open for the casting of each character. Since I know they'll ask my opinion.

message 25: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 39 comments Yeah, I'm a bit worried about how they will cast the movie as well. If they botch it....ohhhh the hordes of unhappy letters they will get (many from me! lol).

message 26: by Nicole (new)

If they cast Stephanie with some thin little blond actress I'm gonna be pissed! Wow. We're getting all worked up over nothing! Hopefully the movie will happen someday soon.

message 27: by Micki (new)

Micki (inxstr31) | 1 comments I agree with Shazzy with Sherri Shepard as Lula and even Monique would be great. Lula is one of my favorite characters

message 28: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan | 1 comments For Stephanie Plum, I've always seen Keri Russell. She's got the big curly hair, she's only thirty-two. Sandra Bullock just never really came to me, especially when they described Steph in the books. Josh Duhamel for Morelli, and for sure Dwayne Johnson for Ranger.

message 29: by Jessica (last edited Jun 29, 2008 11:29PM) (new)

Jessica | 39 comments I have to add my voice to Nicole's comment. I too will be extremely pissed, disappointed, and just... full of 'argh'!! No little blond full of perky would do justice to Stephanie Plum. Especially a high profile actress who is always associated with the blond bombshell persona. It just wouldn't be believable. I hope they cast an actress who has a unique look and voice. An actress who can do the part true justice, as well as bring something new to the character.

As for us all getting worked up, well it's not really nothing. I mean, Evanovich did her job well when she created a character who so many women relate to and enjoy. We are invested into these stories and characters, our passionate opinions and expectations are uber important. Cuz we are the market, the target audience, for this movie. There will be a whole lot of unhappy going around if the casting office of whatever studio produces this movie screws up on the casting.

message 30: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis | 15 comments Jamie,
I have to agree with you about Queen but then she's lost some weight. In One, Stephanie is 30 so by now if we're going in years Stephanie would be 40 or more. Which book are they starting? Either could play Grandma...and The Rock or Vin could park his shoes under my bed for as long as he wanted to. lol

message 31: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Not that much time has passed in Stephanie's world from book one to fourteen. Maybe 18 months? I asked Janet this once when I went to a book signing of hers and hardly anytime has passed at all in Plum World.

message 32: by Tori (new)

Tori (toricordiano) | 1 comments Sandra Bullock used to be my #1 pick for Stephanie, but now that she's getting a little older, I think Anne Hathaway would be perfect.

message 33: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 39 comments I like the idea of Anne Hathaway, but is she a little young for the part?

message 34: by Jamie (new)

Jamie I love the idea of Anne Hathaway playing Stephanie, too! Anne is 25 right now, so it wouldn't be a stretch for her age-wise. She did a good job of playing a 42 year-old Jane Austen, so anything is possible really. (And, at this point, who knows when the movie will start filming anyway!?)

Phyllis - You're right about Queen Latifa's weight loss. She's been who I've envisioned from the beginning, though, while reading the books. Some of the other suggestions regarding who could play Lula are great, though!

message 35: by Janet (new)

Janet (janeta) | 5 comments I've always pictured Janeane Garofalo as Stephanie. Sandra Bullock would be good too but Janeane is still my first choice. Maybe they're both too old though. I see that someone said Kate Hudson. I think she'd be great too. She's a really funny actress. So if we're looking for young, I think I like Kate best. Anne Hathaway annoys the crap outta me! lol

When I heard about Reese buying the rights and possibly playing her I said "NO WAY!!!" However, if it's going to be her, I'd say that Reese is an amazing actress and I believe would be able to pull it off perfectly. She was phenomenal as June Carter Cash and can believably transform herself into any role.

I adore Naveen Andrews. In fact, I Love! Love! Love! him! But he's NOT Ranger. He's too small. Sad fact, but true. I can't think of who I'd want to be Ranger. Rock is so NOT an option. Antonio Banderos? Yummy but too old for the part. I've gotta keep looking.

There is nobody hot enough to be Joe. I've been thinking on this for about 5 years now. Who would be the perfect Joe? I just can't figure it out. My friend says Hugh Jackman. I love Hugh but I don't think he's MY Joe. I'm afraid that when the movie does come out, the casting of Joe is going to either make me stop reading the books, or love him even more. It's gonna be tough to please me.

I've not thought enough about the other characters though I do think Steve Buscemi should be cast as someone. He totally fits.

I think Sherri Shepherd would be a perfect Lula.

Oh, and I just looked back at Michael's post (really good picks) and see Nikki Blonksy for Connie. I like that. Good choice.

message 36: by Janet (new)

Janet (janeta) | 5 comments After my last comment, I did a bit of "Googling." Don't know if this guy is who I envision as Ranger, but HOLY SMOKES!!,take a look at him.

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/9366...

I'd go see the movie if he had just a bit part!

message 37: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 39 comments Oh My GOD!!! I just went to that link you posted. If that gorgeous man can act, then please God cast him as Ranger!!!! I think I am drooling.

message 38: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 2 comments to tell you the truth I think they shouldn't pick A+ stars to play in the movie I can't see Stephanie as Sandra Bullock and I think you so have Ranger wrong all together he has long hair tone body dark skin I can't seem to find anyone to play him that would fit the bill thats just what I think

message 39: by Phoebebb (new)

Phoebebb They're really making a movie? Does anyone have the web address?

message 40: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 39 comments I pretty much agree with you Nicole. The fan base is big enough that the movie doesn't really need big stars to draw an audience. [though Sandra Bullock could have done a good job had the movie been made a decade back, and Reese would make a good Valerie Plum]. Some new actors, or less well knowns, could be the best cast for the movie.

Phoebebb: the only real reliable info I think that you will find regarding the actual state of the movie, right now anyway, is on Evanovich's FAQ's site page. Here's the quotes off of it.

["What's going on with the One For the Money movie?"

-Last we heard, nothing. They've been working on a script for several years now. Reese Witherspoon is attached to the project to play Stephanie. No other casting has been done. If anything exciting ever happens we'll be sure to post it on the site right away.

"Who can I write about getting the One For the Money movie going?"

A reader sent it in a while ago..."Janet and Alex and Fellow Fans: Just FYI, I did a little searching on the web. Tri Star Pictures is owned by Sony Pictures. The President of Columbia TriStar Motion Picture Group is Jeff Blake and his address is: c/o TriStar Pictures, 10202 Washington Blvd., Culver City, CA 90232. Their phone number is (310) 244-7700. This can be verified at Sony Pictures' website: www.sonypictures.com. (I got the address and phone number from www.switchboard.com.) "- ]

message 41: by Janet (new)

Janet (janeta) | 5 comments Even though the Stephanie Plum series has a huge fan base, what it all comes down to is money. Big name stars draw more people. Not many producers want to risk making a movie without any big name draws to guarantee them success at the box office. It's just too risky.

A word about the never ending search for MY perfect Ranger. Even though Ranger should have long hair (which, btw, The Rock doesn't), I saw a movie last night (Wanted) where this guy came onto the screen and the moment I saw him, I said, "I think that's Ranger!" (Notice I said "think"). Anyway, I found out that his name is Common (stupid rapper name - someday he'll realize. Sorry, dude, but it's true.) Anyway, even though he's not the perfect Ranger, so far, he's my best choice.... for now....

message 42: by Jen (new)

Jen I'm new here. I just finished Hard Eight and am on Visions of Sugar Plums. That's since June and I'm plowing through them!! Love 'em.

Stephanie Plum - Michelle Monaghan from Made of Honor

Ranger - a beefed up Gerard Butler (like from the 300 movie, but clean-shaved)

Morelli - Eric Dane (McSteamie) or Karl Urban

Lula - Sherri Shephard

Connie - Jean Smart

message 43: by Nicole (new)

I'm so so so bummed that Estelle Getty passed away. She was such a good actress.
I also thought she was the best actress to play Grandma Mazur.

I think Betty White is my new choice. What can I say, I'm a huge Golden Girls fan.

message 44: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 39 comments Me too. I am a major fan of Golden Girls, and was so sad to hear of Getty's passing.

I recently realized that, for those of us who listen to the audio books, we will most likely be a at least a little disappointed with whoever is cast as Grandma Mazur after loving how she is read. If I let that go, then I would Love to see Betty White in the part.

message 45: by Phoebebb (new)

Phoebebb Ha! I can see Betty White as Stephanie's Grandma, and I think she would fit the description pretty well.

message 46: by Nicole (new)

What's it going to take to get a movie rolling!? Our favorite actors for the movie aren't getting any younger...

message 47: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 39 comments Well, if one of us was a producer, with mega connections in Hollywood, who could hop on over to the studio and take control of pre-production.....

Short of that direct approach:
How about a national campaign of signatures and letters from Evanovich fans? Organized, possibly publicized, and directed to the studio that has the movie rights would get the studio heads' attention. If it is all about money, then proof of the size and desire of the target audience would show the studio that they would get their money's worth by getting busy with production.

Or was that a rhetorical question?

message 48: by Angie (new)

Angie I haven't really looked around the internet for movie news yet since I am just about to start book 5! Soon I will be on the hunt for info!

message 49: by Phoebebb (new)

Phoebebb Haven’t they been talking about making this movie for over seven years now? Or was that just a rumor? I hope I’m not dead by the time they actually get this project rolling.

message 50: by Jen (last edited Aug 02, 2008 03:45PM) (new)

Jen I have a hard time visualizing Diesel. I know he isn't in One For the Money, but who do you see for him?

Because of his cute-ness, charming-ness, and dimples that are usually mentioned .... I tend to think of Jude Law (with more/blonder hair and more muscles).
http://images.contactmusic.com/dn/jud...

I can't see Betty White as Grandma Mazur. She is stereotyped in my brain as the sweet, naive character from Golden Girls ... not too fiesty.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7